$350 Gateway vs. $380 Lenovo. What's the true difference?

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
First, the most important difference is, the Lenovo isn't a Gateway. I figure once you get past chosing machines with the compliment of components and features you want (CPU, amount of RAM, hard drive, display size, etc.), most entry level laptops are built in the same few factories in China, and the biggest difference is the support you get when you need it.

I've had the most good experiences with HP/Compaq because their techs have always given me great service when dealing with my own and friends' laptops, and finding links to specs, drivers, manuals, etc. is always easy, and they've even helped me through their online chat for machines that were out of warranty.

I've had a couple of good experiences with Fujitsu, and I've been able to find what I was looking for on Lenovo. Lenovo also has a good basic rep for the quality of their builds.

OTOH, I've had nothing but misery trying to get help from Gateway, even for machines under warranty. One incident that I think is revealing happened when I was helping a friend with a Gateway machine that out of warranty. I went to gateway.com and entered the model number, and it asked for more info, including serial number and other stuff. When I entered everything it requested, it still couldn't find any drivers.

At that point, I phoned their toll free number. The CSR immediately asked if my friend had an extended service contract. I told him I didn't need their tech help; I just needed some help finding info that should be available to anyone by searching their site. He refused to help unless my friend wanted to buy a service contract. Hell! The machine was old enough that it wouldn't be worth the price of the service contract after I got it up and running.

AFIC, the only way I'd take a Gateway machine is if it was free, and even at that price, I'd feel overcharged the first time it needed any support. :thumbsdown:

Second, I think 2 GB of RAM is inadequate for Win 7 64 bit, and 3 GB is marginal but OK, as long as you don't intend to keep a number of apps open at the same time or do anything that requires a lot of memory. If you think you may get to that point, you should look for machines that max out at 8 GB of RAM, rather than 4 GB, even if you don't need it, now.

Also, check the specs and supported features for the CPU. Not all models are the same, even at the same clock speed or from the same manufacturer.

Then, go out and look at each model you're considering to see if you like the aesthetics, the way it looks and feels and how it operates in your hands. Some models are clearly more appealing than others for the keyboard layout, mouse pad, screen, etc.

Third, feature for feature, you can almost always find a better deal on a laptop at Staples or Office Depot than at Best Buy.

I recently spec'd this beautiful HP G62-340US laptop from Office Staples for a friend with a 2.20GHz dual core Athlon II and 3 GB of RAM (max 8 GB) for $350 after rebates, and I told him he should use some of the money he saved for a second 2 GB stick of RAM to bump it up to 4 GB. I helped him set it up for his personal preferences, and it really is that good. It's now back up to $500 after a smaller rebate, but the next great deal will happen when it happens. :)

I didn't find any deals at either Staples or OD, this week, that were anywhere near as good, but check their weekly ads online. Staples posts their upcoming Sunday flyer on Thursday, and OD posts theirs on Friday. That gives you a couple of days to scout the specs of any machine that looks interesting by going to look at them and searching for reviews online.

Finally, in keeping with your user name, remember, "good enough" isn't necessarily good enough, especially when you can get better for less with a little homework. :cool:

Last edited:

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
Harvey, thanks for your thoughtful response.

I've been trying to find a $350 deal for a few weeks now, and wanted to pull the trigger.
I just need something to type on, and don't want to make a project out of this.
If the laptop works, it will be 99&#37; sufficient.

I did some homework, and learned that DDR3 isn't much faster than DDR2.
Also, the CPU speeds were pretty much comparable.
So, I decided to go with the Gateway w/ HDMI, 3GB ram, and $30 less.

Also, I don't like wasting my time with rebates, as policy, after getting burned one too many times.
Final price = WYSIWYG. Anything beyond, I'm not playing.

Also, FYI, I have been advised that HP is to be avoided like the plague.

Gateway used to have a pretty bad rep, but I think things are better under Acer.

Hp is on my permanent shitlist. Once a great company, they now make complete crap.

- about 1/2 of the hp products i have bought have failed within a month, a few dead out of the box
- bought a color printer that ran out of yellow ink after printing about 20 pages, brand new. hp sent more yellow ink. happened again. refused to rma printer, sent me more yellow ink.
- in my programming career, twice i have destroyed a computer beyond my ability to fix due to a programming error. one time it was an hp, the other time it was a compaq. hp has since bought compaq.
- my friend, who runs IT for a small law firm, has similar experiences with their enterprise equipment as well. maybe not quite as bad, but a significant number of failures new out of the box, or within weeks of purchase. he complains bitterly about support.

Last edited:

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

YW. Hope it helped.

I don't buy or advise friends to buy "department store" branded desktops, because you can always build better than you can buy at a given price point, but you don't have much choice with laptops. You do have to evaluate each model on its specific merits, but I've had only the best experiences with HP/Compaq laptops, including my previous and current machines and many I've recommended, set up and/or rescued for friends. That's especially true when I've needed tech support, which has always been stellar.

Then either you've been advised by people who had a bad experience or don't know much, or a number of friends and I are a bunch unwitting plague victims. :eek: ;)

Last edited:

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000

I've been trying to find a $350 deal for a few weeks now, and wanted to pull the trigger.
I just need something to type on, and don't want to make a project out of this.
If the laptop works, it will be 99% sufficient.

I did some homework, and learned that DDR3 isn't much faster than DDR2.
Also, the CPU speeds were pretty much comparable.
So, I decided to go with the Gateway w/ HDMI, 3GB ram, and $30 less.

Also, I don't like wasting my time with rebates, as policy, after getting burned one too many times.
Final price = WYSIWYG. Anything beyond, I'm not playing.

i really don't think that is true about HP.

the gateway is made by acer. I think my main gripe with acer/gateway machines is the plastic they use is especially cheap.

that said, given the choice between the lenovo and the gateway i'd probably pick the gateway. the lenovo is probalby still slightly faster given more cache , but i do not like the size of those 15.6" laptops. granted if you just leave it on a desk all day you might want that, plus the lenovo has the number pad keyboard which you may o rmay not like.

but if i was going to have to mvoe the laptop around once in a while then the gateway probalby is the better deal since its a 14" and probably a apound or so lighter.

if you can look at HP though i'd look at this...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Lap...20ii&amp;cp=1&amp;lp=1

much better integrated graphics. so you can actaully decode HD with flash acceleration etc.

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
both are junk at the profit margin point. serious junk. with crapware galore and poor support. you don't really believe you get the same support on your $2000 lenovo as a $300 one? really?

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
both are junk at the profit margin point. serious junk. with crapware galore and poor support. you don't really believe you get the same support on your $2000 lenovo as a $300 one? really?

Hey, OP wants a $300 laptop. Of course both are going to be pretty crappy compared to something like a Thinkpad T-series, but as long as he knows what he's getting himself into I don't see any issues with that.

Also, just going to point out that both of these computers are worse, hardware-wise, than my 3 year old, $1080 Thinkpad T61 (specs in sig). Slower CPU, less RAM, worse graphics card, lower-res screen. So OP, just bear in mind that what you are paying nearly $400 for is a plasticky, not so well built laptop with hardware that is already over 3 years old.

Last edited:

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
From my experience the difference between 1mb cache and 3mb cache is pretty noticeable. Much more so than the slight difference in cpu speed.

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
The difference is quality.

Gateway = consumer grade product.

Lenovo = business grade product.

At least that is "supposed" to be how it is.

Not really. The particular Lenovo that OP linked is not from their business line. Lenovo makes many consumer-grade laptops these days, including the Ideapad series and their B and G series.

Only Lenovo's Thinkpad series of laptops is business grade. And even among Thinkapds, only the R, T, W, and X series are still "true" thinkapds, with features such as magnesium alloy roll cages. The other, newly-introduced Thinkpads like the Edge and SL series are not built to the same standard as the R, T, W, X series Thinkpads, and they cost less as a result.

pcunite

Nov 15, 2007
It is hard to offer a choice on Laptops as they are very personal devices ... you're constantly touching them whereas on a desktop you only interact with the peripherals. Because of this my choice has always been the ThinkPad brand (now owned by Lenovo). They are solid products and well known and supported by the company as well as the community.

masterxfob

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
a good thinkpad of a few years ago would probably outperform any cheap laptop of today. that and thinkpads last forever. if it's good after 2 years, chances are it'll go for another 10 years without a hitch. so do yourself a favor and buy a used thinkpad.

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
Thanks for the ideas.

It was a tough call b/w the Gateway and Lenovo.
I went Gateway for the HDMI, smaller screen, more RAM, and $30 discount.

Not too worried about plastic-feeling or support issues.
Unless it's defective, it's plug and play.
I can de-bloat the default OS by uninstalling a lot.

The problem with a used TP is:
1) not knowing which model to get,
2) the issue of a used/dead battery
3) not wanting to format the OS

Otherwise, I buy many things used, but rarely tech items. Refurb, yes.
It's hard to justify buying used for tech/PCs, when you're not seeing an obvious jump in bang for the buck.
At the consumer user level, the difference doesn't seem big enough to justify getting a used laptop (unknowns) vs. a brand new one with a warranty.

Thanks again for the ideas.

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
you guys realize the new lenovo's don't have a wifi switch? no thinkvantage software = no flight mode. lame.

here's how i do it and its legal:
1. get the product key using magic jelly/product key explorer
2. get the oem.cert from the windows dir
3. get the technet o/s and re-install the o/s you want 32 or 64bit - no key and do not auto-activate. (make sure you only install what you have purchased. if you purchase windows 7 starter and install windows 7 enteprise that would be illegal do not do that!)
4. install the slic2.1 oem.cert and the key - activated.
5. get the drivers and apps you need and done.

no need to uninstall and have remnants laying around forever. just do a clean install and use your legal right to re-install the slic cert and matching key. 100&#37; legal

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
yeah, I'd just get a used laptop with a high quality build. do your own service on it when it needs servicing.

if it was my choice, I'd get the gateway because it's a 14". not a big fan of 15" unless it's a gaming laptop. 15" is just too big for me. I used to have a 15.4", not bad at all, but just preference to now stick with 13" - 14" laptops.

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
gateway is serious junk though.

get a probook or older elitebook if you must. or an old X301 lenovo. that is quality.

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
A used X301 goes for $1000.
Triple the cost for used = out of budget.

A used SL510 goes for $350.
I'd rather have a brand new Gateway.

Thanks!

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
I got the Gateway, it didn't have too much bloatware, and its running great.
For $350, this was more than adequate.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
The difference is quality.

Gateway = consumer grade product.

Lenovo = business grade product.

At least that is "supposed" to be how it is.

The Lenovo THINKPads are the well made systems that businesses buy, while the Lenovo IDEAPads are the cheap consumer grade systems that are no better than low end systems made by Acer or Gateway.

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
I think I want to sell my $350 Gateway (which works perfectly fine) and get a Lenovo. I just want a cooler band name for snob appeal. If it's got a clickier keyboard, that's even better. I think I can get $250 for my GTW and roll that into an under $400 Lenovo.

Should I just get an entry level Lenovo, or buy a used one that is a better model? Is T400 still the one to get?
I want to be running on Win7 and it must have HDMI (which is why I initially went GTW).