34,000 Iraqi civilians killed in 2006, U.N. reports

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper
Originally posted by: Arcex
No... inciting a large portion of the world into going to war against us... THAT will lead to our downfall.

We're not talking about a war to stop genocide, we're not talking about a war to protect our allies, even though both of those excuses have been dredged up after the fact. We went to war because the Bush administration told us Osama was connected to Saddam and that Iraq had WMD's. Well guess what? Osama DIDN'T have connections to Saddam, Iraq DIDN'T have WMD's, so explain to me again how tucking tail and pulling out looks weaker than picking on a country that had absolutely no chance of stopping us in a large scale military conflict? How long did it take for us to complete the invasion of Iraq, a few weeks? It's just this pesky "convince your enemy invading them for no reason is a good thing" part we are having trouble with.
I did not recall ever hearing that Saddam was tied to Osama regrading 9/11
What I heard was that Saddam was tied to terror and that Osama was terror

Many people tried to make A = B = C.
Had Saddam not tried to play poker while only bluffing, we and he would not be in this situation.

It is the anti-war/anti-bush crowd that wants to tie the Saddam w/ Osama knot implicitly if not explicity

Please provide a link where the administration ever stated that Saddam was tied to Osama. What was stated many times, by supposition (myself included) was that some of Osama followers had used Iraq for terror training camps. Some felt that this would not have happened without Saddam consent. that may have been the only tie.

Apparently somebody didn't study Pavlov. Something doesn't have to be a perfect connection and an actual natural result to actually condition a person or animal to a reaction.

Dog food + bell = salivate. Eventually bell = salivate, conditional training.

Now, bells aren't in dog food, nor are bells made out of dogfood, they aren't naturally tied. However, the bell is an artificially tied conditioning used by the conditioner to get the desired reaction.

Thus, Saddam wasn't a natural Al-Q connection, yet through conditioning, Bush made the connection and caused us to react (xenophobic zealous "get him" activities).

Now, all you have to do is mention Saddam and 9/11 A-Q comes to mind (or did, until the conditioning started to break down as the ties eventually did).

It's actually pretty simple. Do you seriously think that psy-ops (psychological operations performed by the military) are only targeted at the enemy?

Don't be so naive, they knew exactly what they were doing. We were nothing more than a dog and they were Pavlov.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Flash news update----Saddam and his two sons are dead---so is his half brother. Which means --WE CAN NO LONGER BLAME SADDAM for our current problems in Iraq.
And in fact---by 1/05---Sadadam was considered no longer relevant by mosts Iraqis.

Now the only remaining question is who or what will GWB&co. substitute as that root cause?

That chunk of red raw meat that will make many of the the American people demand that this nation back GWB&co. at that mere mention of the root cause?

What scares the hell out of me is that GWB&co. is starting to cast its eyes upon Iran----as an ideal icon for that new root cause.

Already the campaign begins to target Iran---and Hadley, Rice, and Cheney are directing their best efforts to puff up the Iranian threat.

And if and when GWB's surge plan is put into actual implementation, it will involve house to house urban combat to work as advertised. That will provide the huge death
toll results just begging for a root cause villain to blame.

The last time a similar scenario was tried---GWB&co sold Saddam and his WMD's to the American people, then stamped congress, and when he did not get a firm no from the UN, the Iraq was was on.

This time GWB&co. is just starting on this Iran scapegoat idea---which almost needs come to fruition soon, or else the death tolls of a real surge will really weaken GWB&co's sales pitch. It will be harder to sell a not so gullible American public, harder still to sell to our congress, and almost impossible to sell to a UN who is almost certain to give GWB&co. an unmistakable FIRM NO regarding any military action against Iran.

SO the huge danger is that GWB&co will just start it with no permission---just a few weeks of demonizing which is already starting---and THEN BUSH MAY JUST START THE BOMBING
OF IRAN.--------------I hope I am not right----but it would pay to write your legislators to give them the backbone to give GWB&co. that firm NO.

tomywishbone

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2006
"Had Saddam not tried to play poker while only bluffing, we and he would not be in this situation."

Ah yes, the new gold standard for starting a war... bluffing.

"Well he said he had a full house, we knew he didn't, but we had to kill everybody and then burn the entire country to the ground regardless." -g.w. bush

Pandaren

Golden Member
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by: JadowYes I am. Our country has no stomach for war anymore. It's tough, we pay a price. Tucking tail and running will just lead to our downfall.

I don't believe that's true. I believe that Americans are willing to fight for just causes and clear goals.

The reality is that most Americans do not want to be caught in the sectarian battleground that Iraq has become. Despite the Bush administration's spin attempts, most Americans are not convinced that this war is worth fighting.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: Jadow
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Somme_(1916)

Battle of Somme, over 1 million killed. PERSPECTIVE! DING!

So, we should just strip all of our soldiers of armor and then run them forward into machine guns that are entrenched?

Don't forget to throw away that camouflage and give them bright red pants instead. Just like the French army before 1914!

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
All they had to do is go to a place like antiwar.com who runs newspaper articles on the daily 100+ toll. 100 a day of these wackos killing each other pretty much equals 34000.

PS you have not seen anything yet..wait till American and UK boys pull themselves from human shield duty.