33 Shocking Facts Which Show How Badly the Economy Has Tanked

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Sigh. You're not getting it, nor will you ever in all likelihood. You want not to get it, after all. I'd much rather that people at mid income make a lager share of national income so they could pay the same tax rates as they did pre-Reagan. If income distribution had remained unchanged from 1979, median families would be making ~40% more. Even paying higher taxes, they'd be a lot better off, as would the economy in general.

So you STILL believe wealth is static? :awe: Im not sure if you know this, but the wealth pie is not fixed, and the players do not remain the same:

“The analysis also found that the composition of the very top income groups changes dramatically over time. Less than half (40 percent or 43 percent by different measures) of those in the top 1 percent in 1996 were still in the top 1 percent in 2005. Only about 25 percent of individuals in the top 0.01 percent in 1996 remained in the top 0.01 percent in 2005.” SOURCE

Last edited:

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
So you STILL believe wealth is static? :awe:

No, but what's your point? The share of income to the bottom has dropped per capita while it has skyrocketed for those at the top. So the 'growing population' has a smaller piece of the 'growing pie' while the top brass gets an even larger slice. Even as the tide rises (wealth) in this case, only the yachts are rising....the rafts started sinking long ago....

Edit: and it doesn't matter if the wealth is rotating around the top 1% (or .01%)....it's not rotating to the bottom 99%, especially the 'middle and lower tiers'.....unless you consider the Chinese and other cheap labor middle and lower tiers....and it's definitely going there.

Last edited:

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Edited response:

No, but what's your point? The share of income to the bottom has dropped per capita while it has skyrocketed for those at the top. So the 'growing population' has a smaller piece of the 'growing pie' while the top brass gets an even larger slice. Even as the tide rises (wealth) in this case, only the yachts are rising....the rafts started sinking long ago....

Edit: and it doesn't matter if the wealth is rotating around the top 1% (or .01%)....it's not rotating to the bottom 99%, especially the 'middle and lower tiers'.....unless you consider the Chinese and other cheap labor middle and lower tiers....and it's definitely going there.

I agree. The primary problem is the devaluing of the dollar, and wages being stagnant. Im just not seeing how this makes the ultra wealthy the bad guys. *shrug* Too many people think incorrectly that the wealthy's part of the pie growing faster than everyone elses is because of something wealthy are doing TO everyone else, as if its the wealthy's fault.

Last edited:

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
By the way, part of the "trade deficit" from 1970 upward comes from here....and had little to do with "cheap, crappy imports".

US_Oil_Production_and_Imports_1920_to_2005.png

True, part of it. But things have turned around since 2005.

Daily U.S. oil production hits 22-year high

usoil.jpg

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
True, part of it. But things have turned around since 2005.

Daily U.S. oil production hits 22-year high

usoil.jpg

Wasn't talking so much about oil imports and domestic as was talking about the fact that the trade deficit essentially started in 1970....oh...about the same time as oil imports started skyrocketing.

(Although I do love seeing the US grow its' own energy and tell OPEC to stick it up their asses).

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Edited response:

I agree. The primary problem is the devaluing of the dollar, and wages being stagnant. Im just not seeing how this makes the ultra wealthy the bad guys. *shrug* Too many people think incorrectly that the wealthy's part of the pie growing faster than everyone elses is because of something wealthy are doing TO everyone else, as if its the wealthy's fault.

You understate the power of wealth in today's society. Who finances political campaigns? Who finances the myriad of institutes, think tanks, foundations & so forth that shape public opinion? Who owns & runs the Media? Poor people?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Edited response:

you mean like lobbying to free up trade with a slave state so that they can make more money while laying off 100s of thousands?

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
When reason fails, go with false attribution, create a strawman, argue against that. You'll win every time.
Would you make up your mind? Getting closer to Cuba is going to get you closer to income equality. Are you saying you don't want income equality now?

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
You understate the power of wealth in today's society. Who finances political campaigns? Who finances the myriad of institutes, think tanks, foundations & so forth that shape public opinion? Who owns & runs the Media? Poor people?
This goes against your position of large governmental controls. The lower the level of control the government has on an economy the less likely "big money" can influence government by donating to political campaigns. I'm glad to see that you're arguing for smaller government now.

The fact of the matter is by putting more and more regulation on business you make it much harder for the poor to get out of the lower income brackets. Governmental controls increase barrier of entry which the rich can more easily overcome.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This goes against your position of large governmental controls. The lower the level of control the government has on an economy the less likely "big money" can influence government by donating to political campaigns. I'm glad to see that you're arguing for smaller government now.

The fact of the matter is by putting more and more regulation on business you make it much harder for the poor to get out of the lower income brackets. Governmental controls increase barrier of entry which the rich can more easily overcome.

Your choices are between big money influencing government, over which we have some control, or big money influencing society in countless ways in which we have no control.

Wait, did you really think if we made the government less powerful that all that money would stop working to influence the structure of society? Don't be so naive, it would just become even less accountable.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Also, can you please show me any evidence whatsoever that shows a negative correlation between regulation and economic mobility? Like, any at all?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Im not discounting the importance of your point, but tell me something. What political system has ever NOT had these things? Saying theyre a negative drain on society is one thing. Proposing a solution is quite another.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Would you make up your mind? Getting closer to Cuba is going to get you closer to income equality. Are you saying you don't want income equality now?
Straw Man:
The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position. This sort of "reasoning" has the following pattern:
  1. Person A has position X.
  2. Person B presents position Y (which is a distorted version of X).
  3. Person B attacks position Y.
  4. Therefore X is false/incorrect/flawed.
This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because attacking a distorted version of a position simply does not constitute an attack on the position itself. One might as well expect an attack on a poor drawing of a person to hurt the person.

False Dichotomy:
A false dichotomy or false dilemma occurs when an argument presents two options and ignores, either purposefully or out of ignorance, other alternatives.

In general, a false dichotomy gives the impression that the two opposite options are mutually exclusive (that is, only one of them may be the case, never both) and that at least one of them is true, that is, they represent all of the possible options.

For example, the claim that “you’re either with me, or you’re against me” is an example of a false dichotomy. This form of rhetoric is used to persuade or even threaten, but it ignores the fact that the individual or group addressed may have a neutral opinion towards the speaker. It is logically possible for someone to be neither with nor against an individual.

A more obvious example would be the claim ‘All animals are either mammals or fish.’ We could use that, with the premise ‘my pet parrot is not a mammal’ to conclude that ‘my pet parrot is a fish’. Clearly, something went wrong. The problem here is not a failure of logic in the argument form, but that the first premise is a false dichotomy. That premise is false — there are also birds, for one, as well as other groups of animals.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Your choices are between big money influencing government, over which we have some control, or big money influencing society in countless ways in which we have no control.
Sweet, an argument for governmental corruption!
Wait, did you really think if we made the government less powerful that all that money would stop working to influence the structure of society? Don't be so naive, it would just become even less accountable.
This may be true but there is no more efficient way to get what you want than to have a government regulate it for you. So they may try to influence society but the money would be less effective in doing so than if you get a congressman in your hip pocket.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
you mean like lobbying to free up trade with a slave state so that they can make more money while laying off 100s of thousands?

Just playing devil's advocate here...what is a company's FIRST and primary goal (assuming theyre big enough they would have a lobbyist)? Something other than returning investment to shareholders?

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Also, can you please show me any evidence whatsoever that shows a negative correlation between regulation and economic mobility? Like, any at all?
You live in NYC. Go start a cab company and tell me how easy it is to get off the ground.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Im not discounting the importance of your point, but tell me something. What political system has ever NOT had these things? Saying theyre a negative drain on society is one thing. Proposing a solution is quite another.
The solution starts with getting money out of politics. In our current, essentially no-holds-barred model, money is effectively synonymous with corruption. Get rid of the money and the playing field levels substantially. Of course that would require rejecting the notion that money is protected speech.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Straw Man:
The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position. This sort of "reasoning" has the following pattern:
  1. Person A has position X.
  2. Person B presents position Y (which is a distorted version of X).
  3. Person B attacks position Y.
  4. Therefore X is false/incorrect/flawed.
John is wrong because he is an idiot, which would be an ad hominem fallacy.:awe:

But I didn't make any conclusions other than to say that if he got his way we would be closer to Cuba than we are now. I think that is pretty self evident. Do you have any argument to the contrary?

Thanks for showing us you know how to copy and paste.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Just playing devil's advocate here...what is a company's FIRST and primary goal (assuming theyre big enough they would have a lobbyist)? Something other than returning investment to shareholders?
While that's fine as a primary goal, it shouldn't be the only goal, or its unmitigated goal. It is perfectly reasonable to add a the constraint: without harming society. Certainly we, as individuals, are expected to live our lives that way. We can look out for #1, but not at the expense of harming others.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
The solution starts with getting money out of politics. In our current, essentially no-holds-barred model, money is effectively synonymous with corruption. Get rid of the money and the playing field levels substantially. Of course that would require rejecting the notion that money is protected speech.
Reduce governmental control over society and political "bribes" will reduce.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
[/LIST]
John is wrong because he is an idiot, which would be an ad hominem fallacy.:awe:

But I didn't make any conclusions other than to say that if he got his way we would be closer to Cuba than we are now. I think that is pretty self evident. Do you have any argument to the contrary?

So there is complete rising inequality (which is what we have) or there is 'total equality' (Cuba), based on what you are saying. There are NO in between models (based on your comments). I've never seen Jhhnn ask for total equality....just something better than the yachts rising and rafts sinking situation that we have now. People in the yachts (those at the top) are letting more water from the damn (federal reserve) into the lake (economy) and shooting holes in the rafts (everyone not at the top) while doing so.

Heh...

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
So there is complete rising inequality (which is what we have) or there is 'total equality' (Cuba), based on what you are saying. There are NO in between models (based on your comments). I've never seen Jhhnn ask for total equality....just something better than the yachts rising and rafts sinking situation that we have now. People in the yachts (those at the top) are letting more water from the damn (federal reserve) into the lake (economy) and shooting holes in the rafts (everyone not at the top) while doing so.

Heh...
How about you re-read what I wrote? I said we'd be closer to Cuba if he got his way. Not Cuba.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
[/LIST]
Yes, it would certainly be a fallacy. He consistently makes intelligent arguments and supports them with factual evidence. You blow smoke and make personal attacks.

It's pure, emotional tripe, intended to divert attention from the fact that you can't really address his points. We had much greater income equality up through the 70's than we do now. Were we like Cuba then? You are intentionally posing a ludicrous false dichotomy.

My pleasure. It seemed like knowledge you lack. Further, whether you can digest it or not, it's a handy reference for everyone else so they can more readily recognize what you're doing. I wouldn't want anyone to be fooled into thinking your comments were substantive.