32GB Optane/1TB 2.5" HDD vs. 1TB factory reference SATA SSD (Phison S11 w/ Toshiba 64L 3D QLC )?

Which storage do you think you would want most for your laptop?

• 32GB Optane + 1TB 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Phison S11 w/ Toshiba 64L 3D QLC (factory reference SATA SSD)

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Which one do think would be a better choice for your laptop and why?

Both these combinations should be around the same price.....with the 32GB M10 Optane/2.5" HDD perhaps being a bit cheaper.

P.S. 32GB Optane has some optimizations over the 16GB Optane in the software department:

http://surprizingfacts.com/what-is-intel-optane-part-1-optane-memory-blog-of-intel-surprizingfacts/

Secondly, while the RST system is running, the driver will continuously generate caching. And here there is one important difference between Optane Memory modules of different capacities: on a 16GB device, only block level caching is supported, on a 32GB device, block level caching and file leveling (both work simultaneously). In the case of block caching, the decision to cache a block occurs instantly at the time of the I / O request. In the case of file caching, the driver monitors the frequency of access to files and puts it all in a special table, which then (at the time of system downtime or according to the user's schedule) is used to determine which files are left in the cache, which are deleted and which are added.

Both types of caching use rather clever algorithms for caching decision making – I can not describe them deeply, but for general understanding I note that, for example, video files are not cached (yes, the driver looks at File extension), the size of the file is taken into account, the type of load is determined – caching preferences are given to random access rather than sequential, which makes sense due to extremely slow operation of hard disks in random access operations, etc. On the Internet, I met some negative comments on the topic that "the cache will be immediately overwritten with data," "16GB capacity is not enough for anything" and the like – usually reviews from people who have never tested Optane Memory. I have not yet heard negative feedback about the performance of this solution from any of our partners I work with.

This, in addition, to the ability to pin files, applications and folders:

https://www.intel.sg/content/www/xa/en/support/articles/000028779/memory-and-storage.html

Last edited:

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
As I noted here 1TB 3D TLC SATA with DRAM buffer has dropped to below $100 shipped on sale.

So I am speculating DRAM-less 3D QLC 1TB SATA would have been $80 or less (on sale) if such a drive had been already released and yields were mature. With this mentioned, I do wonder if NAND prices begin to rise again by the time 3D QLC yields improve?

P.S. I believe the NAND used in the Phison reference design is IMFT 3D QLC not Toshiba 3D QLC.

Last edited: