32" Olevia LCD TV $499.99 at CompUSA!

zettler

Nov 16, 1999
I saw this. Does Staples or any other major stores carry this model - i.e., a price-match opportunity???

zig3695

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2007
htpc, thats how it works. nice deal! .... im waiting for 50" hdtv's to hit $500

imported_Smurf

Mar 4, 2007
www.irsmurf.com
A good find for a B&M store, but a far cry from the best deal on a QUALITY HDTV. The 3 series is the lowest end of Olevia's hdtv's, and the tuner is an EXPENSIVE add on! (>$100)

You can get the 532h (in BLACK with a TUNER) for 530 + 28 s&h at newegg!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16889022033

BTW, here is the review I left at newegg:

Pros: The picture is EXCELLENT! No ghosting and perfect in light or dark environment (and settings to adjust for each). It's so beautiful, I threw out my 50" projection SDTV AND my 21" CRT monitor. My 360 and my PC work flawlessly, and counter strike: source is GORGEOUS, on this set! The multifunction remote isn't bad, either. It's about the same quality as my Sony SXRD's bundled remote. Finally, the set came in PERFECT condition! Not a scratch on it! I was nervous when I read I couldn't return this to New Egg (One Year on-site warranty [parts + labor] is included through Olevia), but I see, now, I had nothing to be afraid of.

Cons: The on screen menu can take some getting used to... but once you understand the rotating box, it's very quick to use. Also, the speakers are underpowered, (turn the bass all the way off, and they'll sound much better). If you're getting an hdtv, you should be running your sound through your television, anyhow. Line-In on your mini speaker system is there for a reason.

Other Thoughts: Seriously, do NOT bother with the 3 series from Olevia, or ANY television set without a tuner! That's an add-on that will cost you more than $100! This set doesn't cost much more than a 26", and after much debate I decided to go with the 32". Boy am I glad I did! Split screen gaming on a 26" would have been impossible. 32" is the perfect size for the bedroom! Also, if you're having trouble with upscaling through the ATI chipset in this set (read: VHS, non-upscaling DVD players), remember to turn your set to 1 to 1 mode.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Diogenes2
Originally posted by: hottnucks
no tuner :(

A TV with no tuner ? How does that work ? :(:confused:

That's no big deal at all.

Do you have cable? Then you don't need a tuner. It's only a problem if you still use rabbit ears to get your signals.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Smurf
A good find for a B&M store, but a far cry from the best deal on a QUALITY HDTV. The 3 series is the lowest end of Olevia's hdtv's, and the tuner is an EXPENSIVE add on! (>$100)

You can get the 532h (in BLACK with a TUNER) for 530 + 28 s&h at newegg!

Well this is a bias thread..so lets set some stuff straight.

1. That is a REFURB unit. Not a new in box.

2. You can't return it to newegg? Buyer Beware.
-Return for refund within: non-refundable
-Return for replacement within: non-replaceable

3. You only get a 90 day warranty from Olevia on Refurb units.

4. You do NOT need a tuner if you use any Digital Cable, HD Service, DirecTV, Dish or Tivo/DVR type unit. Those all require a set-top box. So it makes that so called "must have tuner" worthless. I'd say 90% of the population who watches TV has a set-top box of some kind.

Not to mention that you can get the Olevia 337H from Fry's for $599 and it's 37" brand new. It has tearing o

zig3695

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2007
you could probably find a cheap used pc on ebay with tv-out, and get a cheap tv tuner card for $100 altogether if you shop and bid right... imo theres no bettter set top box then a media center pc that can be streamed seamlessly into your main pc and network.

zig3695

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2007
trust me, it wont be that long. im guessing 3 years. no more then 10. tv technology is the most explosive consumer electronic item as of the last few years. there are just too many competing technologies for prices to stay high. we have watched prices plummet and were already very close to seeing 42" hdtv's for $500... i totally believe the 50" HDTV 1080p set will be in the majority of us households for the next half century, much like the 25" crt is today...

Diogenes2

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: zig3695
htpc, thats how it works. nice deal! .... im waiting for 50" hdtv's to hit $500

Approximately, when is that gonna happen?

I heard one economic forcaster say they should be at least 45% cheaper for Xmas 07 than Xmas 06 ...

Diogenes2

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: 91TTZ

Do you have cable? Then you don't need a tuner. It's only a problem if you still use rabbit ears to get your signals.

Uhh, methinks cable still needs a tuner ...

( The OP title was actually in error.. This is an LCD monitor, not a TV )

imported_Smurf

Mar 4, 2007
www.irsmurf.com
Originally posted by: LikeLinus

4. You do NOT need a tuner if you use any Digital Cable, HD Service, DirecTV, Dish or Tivo/DVR type unit. Those all require a set-top box. So it makes that so called "must have tuner" worthless. I'd say 90% of the population who watches TV has a set-top box of some kind.

Not to mention that you can get the Olevia 337H from Fry's for $599 and it's 37" brand new. It has tearing o

1) True, but it makes no real difference if it's new in box, or refurb. At least if it's refurb, you know it works... it's been factory reconditioned. :p Just my opinion.

2) You can't return it to newegg... true. However...

3) Mine came with a one year warranty. That's through Olevia.

4) True, but recieveing OTA HD broadcast is a very nice thing to have. Also... being a college student, I never know what the next cable hookup I'll have is going to be.

There IS a difference between the 3 series and the 5 series. The 5 series uses an ATi chipset for upconverting / downconverting / scaling, etc. Better than the no name chipset in the 3 series, IMO.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000

Cable uses a box, which is the tuner. Either way, you could also use your VCR as a tuner....

That said...no tuner does suck.

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
Originally posted by: maxcom
"refurb" should be in the title
I don't believe what the OP is referring to is a refurb. The 532H from newegg that someone mentioned is the refurb.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Smurf
Originally posted by: LikeLinus

1) True, but it makes no real difference if it's new in box, or refurb. At least if it's refurb, you know it works... it's been factory reconditioned. :p Just my opinion.

2) You can't return it to newegg... true. However...

3) Mine came with a one year warranty. That's through Olevia.

4) True, but recieveing OTA HD broadcast is a very nice thing to have. Also... being a college student, I never know what the next cable hookup I'll have is going to be.

There IS a difference between the 3 series and the 5 series. The 5 series uses an ATi chipset for upconverting / downconverting / scaling, etc. Better than the no name chipset in the 3 series, IMO.

Again, you can't compare refurb equipment against NEW equipment. Additionally, you didn't even tell everyone that it's a refurb in your post. Trying to bend the truth to make a point is lame.

How did your Olevia come with a one-year warranty when everyone elses comes with 90 days? Even the post on Newegg says "I contacted Olevia before the TV arrived to understand their warranty, and they will replace the TV w/ another Refurb for 90 days".

The chipset is not some "no name" chipset. It's a Pixelworks chipset. You may want to go read the post over at AVSForum before you pass judgement so quickly. It's getting great reviews, minus the tearing it has over VGA with the xBox 360.

Not to mention that you gain 5 more " of viewable area and the fry's is new in box with the original warranty for only $60 more. Also the shipping is cheaper!

You're saying the tuner is nice in YOUR SITUATION. But in your post you say no one should buy a tv that does not have a tuner! That's absolutely rediculous and an outright lie. Most people with a set-top box don't need OTA!

People need to know the truth, not your twisted perception of it.

maximusfarticus

Jul 7, 2004
Got this when it was the $550 deal. It's definitely a good one. I'd highly recommend the $75 4-year warranty add-on that is through CompUSA.

origami

Jul 17, 2006
This is not a refurbished item. I went to the Local CompUSA to look at this, and since it is one of the many that is closing, there was no $300 instant savings =-(

Cruisin1

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Gibson486

Cable uses a box, which is the tuner. Either way, you could also use your VCR as a tuner....

That said...no tuner does suck.

Cable doesn't all use a box. Old school cable used a box and the digital cable. I have cable through Cox and I have no box comes direclty from a cable line, thus I need a tuner when using my cable.

imported_Smurf

Mar 4, 2007
www.irsmurf.com
Rawr! :confused:

Why is a tuner valuable?

If you're like me, and you're purchasing this tv as a second television set, it's invaluable.

I have one cable connection and one cable box, however I have two hdtv's, (roughly 30 feet from each other.) My cable box is connected to my main set (Sony KDS-55A2000), while my secondary (Olevia 532H) is setup in my bedroom hooked up to an antenna that recieves OTA (digital) broadcast. There's a lot of OTA HDTV broadcast in Kansas City, so the tuner has been in invaluable add-on.

What's this about "gain 5 more " of viewable area"?

TOPIC: 32" Olevia LCD TV $499.99 at CompUSA!

Are you sure you're replying to the right topic?

craftech

Nov 26, 2000
I don't know if I would trust this brand judging from how many "refurbished" units are available at Newegg.

John