31 years ago...

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
after a quick trip to google, I now know what you're talking about.

But don't worry. Once bush get's relected, he'll fix that...

gordy

Jan 26, 2003
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
I was . . . umm . . . well actually I wasn't . . . but somebody was thinking about it.

Just think, you might not have been.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak

care to clue the rest of us in?

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
ahh thanks, i see. i was thinking 31 years ago was a generalazation, silly me never though of looking for the exact date. ;)

wkabel23

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2003
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak

Hopefully he won't do anything that stupid.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Just think, you might not have been.
Abortion isn't considered an acceptable means of birth control in my family . . . granted my mother had the oven "fixed" after I showed up 6 years later than my youngest sibling. Universal healthcare (and education) that includes conception control could make abortion (therapeutic and elective) a very rare event.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Link

When those trained in the respective disciplines of medicine, philosophy, and theology are unable to arrive at any consensus, the judiciary, at this point in the development of man's knowledge, is not in a position to speculate as to the answer.

In this case, I think they were correct to affirm that the life of the mother is also to be regarded as well as the child's when making the decision of abortion; however, to legalize abortions for all cases, not just when the physical health of the mother or child is at stake, is indeed a speculation, that of the fetus not having the same rights as a human as a newborn.

A very sober shalom,
Nate

Feb 3, 2001
Tough issue. There is a *beautiful* discussion about the issue occuring at http://sandefur.blogspot.com between the Libertarian blog host (Tim Sandefur) and a Christian (Guest Blogger Chris Atkins) on the matter. It's nice because, unlike hear, it doesn't degenerate into a flame war (and it won't; Mr. Sandefur may be the single most professional man I've ever met, and without question the most moral...) but is carried out calmly with many examples, quotes and well-reasoned arguments.

I encourage you all to take a read.

Jason