3007WFP-HC for skin tones?

bicyclistjs88

Sep 14, 2007
Hi guys, Im new to AT. I saw lots of good advice being offered here, and wanted to get some advice myself!

I am getting a new monitor, and I would like others input on it before I buy. I was considering the Dell 3007WFP-HC because of its good colors and size for editing pictures. However, I was wondering if anyone with experience with this monitor has judged its accuracy in displaying human skin tones.

My work as a photographer in the adult entertainment industry demands pretty high quality equipment and displays. Hopefully someone can enlighten me with whether this monitor would be good for editing and displaying pictures and movies of the adult variety. I hope this is not offensive.

Laminator

Jan 31, 2007
There's not much choice in 30" LCD's. The good thing is that most of them (or all of them) are high-quality S-IPS panels. Here is a comparison of color accuracy between the Dell and the more-expensive Apple:

http://www.digitalversus.com/d...8&mo2=237&p2=2302&ph=6

Note that this is after the monitor has been calibrated. You can check the other monitors on the page, too, although not all of them will be there. I'm not sure if HP's 30" is an S-IPS panel. NEC makes an S-IPS 24" LCD for graphic design that is more expensive than the 30" Dell.

Laminator

Jan 31, 2007
P.S. This being a forum for computer geeks, something tells me you don't have to be the least bit worried about offending anyone with mentions of adult entertainment.

bicyclistjs88

Sep 14, 2007
Thanks for the comparison. What about the size, is it too big? I'm guessing people will be almost life size on that display

chewietobbacca

Jun 10, 2007
The size is perfect IMO. Yes, at first it takes a bit to get used to, but it works great for me. Now when I use other people's monitors, they feel WAY too small compared to the sheer size and image quality of the 3007WFP-HC.

With the drivers installed, I actually didn't see too big of an improvement in calibrating it. Of course, calibrating helps a bit, but mine came from the factory already with very good color quality. I still calibrated anyways w/ a Spyder2Pro , but left color temperature at native since that produced the best results for me.

And yeah, the size of the screen means that pictures are life size, which in your field could be pretty useful. And yeah, I wouldn't worry about those photos too much haha. I'd help out with any questions you have.

bicyclistjs88

Sep 14, 2007
Is there any trouble running videos on that high a resolution? Thanks for the responses so far.

Yes, the real estate is nice, since it would be able to display 4 megapixels, but unfortunately my cam takes 10 mp. I guess having a monitor that would display that big a resolution would be way too big for a desk, haha.

chewietobbacca

Jun 10, 2007
I dont know if they have ten MP monitors yet though they are pretty close with the ones they use for CAD and rendering at places like PIxar but those monitors cost an arm and a leg and require a Quadro or FireGL card which can alone cost more than a Dell 3007WFP-HC.

Videos run fine at that resolution, though that partially depends on the codec to determine whether it puts a heavier load on your CPU or GPU but I have had no problem watching my uh video collection with it

bicyclistjs88

Sep 14, 2007
btw chewie, is there any advantage to running your RAM at more than 1:1 with the FSB? I noticed your FSB is 350mhz and your RAM is going 500mhz. And how is the 2007FP in portrait mode? I have a 2005FPW lying around, but I guess that it is 1680 on one side, so it wouldn't fit flush with the 3007WFP. Maybe you can, uh PM me with some screenies of your setup as well as how well the 3007 displays skin tones...if you know what i mean

bicyclistjs88

Sep 14, 2007
Originally posted by: Laminator
There's not much choice in 30" LCD's. The good thing is that most of them (or all of them) are high-quality S-IPS panels. Here is a comparison of color accuracy between the Dell and the more-expensive Apple:

http://www.digitalversus.com/d...8&mo2=237&p2=2302&ph=6

Note that this is after the monitor has been calibrated. You can check the other monitors on the page, too, although not all of them will be there. I'm not sure if HP's 30" is an S-IPS panel. NEC makes an S-IPS 24" LCD for graphic design that is more expensive than the 30" Dell.

Yeah, I definitely see an advantage in S-IPS panels. I had a couple TN panels, and got rid of one because the colors were atrocious. Definitely getting a S-IPS panel, due to viewing angle and color quality. And I hear the color quality is awesome on the HC, which is very handy for editing pictures.

chewietobbacca

Jun 10, 2007
THat's actually a 2007FP the regular flat panel, non-widescreen. It lines up perfectly with the 30" which means that I have an effective screen resolution of 3760 x 1600. BTW, to give you an idea of how large my screen is on the 30", maximized firefox my entire sig fits in one line

As far as the RAM goes, my bandwidth in Everest' benchmark showed improvement with higher frequency despite slightly worse latency so I just decided to keep it that way. Besides, im technically underclocking since they're Ballistix DDR2 1066's and not 800's...

bicyclistjs88

Sep 14, 2007
Yeah, I knew it was a regular aspect one. Nice setup. I'll keep the RAM stuff in mind. How do you set them at 1000? do you just use like 3xFSB instead of 2x for the RAM setting?

bicyclistjs88

Sep 14, 2007
Just what I need, for my work and my spare time...

After all, no sense in taking and editing pictures only for others to enjoy, right? Models spread their legs to me, not others ;)

Looks like this 3007wfp-hc is a good candidate

chewietobbacca

Jun 10, 2007
If you have a AAA membership you can get 6% off the monitor I believe unless a better promotion is running since they dont stack

bicyclistjs88

Sep 14, 2007
jus wanted to let you guys the 3007wfp hc was everything i wanted plus more, thx for all the advice. merry xmas to you all