30" widesreen 16:9 HDTV Philips refub for $600 shipped

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vroom1810

Nov 10, 2003
The company cancelled the order, according to today's email. I didn't. They even had to nerve to tell me in the email to check their site and order something else!! Yeah, like i'm going to do that! I'd be prefectly happy if it was shipped since i did want it. But they definitely shouldn't have given me an order number and DEFINITELY shouldn't have charged my credit card. They could have checked with Philips or whoever they get them from before issuing an order number and definitely before they charged my credit card. They had plenty enough time to do all this since the order was placed and verified 3/4. Most companies charge your credit card when it's shipped and none that i know of charge you if it's out of stock or backordered. Robert

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: vroom1810
The company cancelled the order, according to today's email. I didn't. They even had to nerve to tell me in the email to check their site and order something else!! Yeah, like i'm going to do that! I'd be prefectly happy if it was shipped since i did want it. But they definitely shouldn't have given me an order number and DEFINITELY shouldn't have charged my credit card. They could have checked with Philips or whoever they get them from before issuing an order number and definitely before they charged my credit card. They had plenty enough time to do all this since the order was placed and verified 3/4. Most companies charge your credit card when it's shipped and none that i know of charge you if it's out of stock or backordered. Robert

I was asking if your TV Stand/Entertainment Center had already shipped. You could refuse shipment or call and cancel it.

vroom1810

Nov 10, 2003
Oh...ok, yes it's shipped. I'll refuse delivery, but don't know if i'll be stuck with the shipping charges to me. Guess i'll have to wait and see what happens. Robert

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
Sorry to hear about that.
They are in Ohio but my TV was shipped from Texas so it might come from directly from Phillips.

rk0

Feb 16, 2002
Any good corner stands for this TV? The one from target seems to narrow in depth.

Thanks

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Just a heads-up that these are back in stock (only 10 left) There were about 20, but a good bit of them were purchased yesterday.

I re-ordered.

LukFilm

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Got a brand-new one from Sears for $602.96 tax included :D
- 110% PM to BB - $789.99
- 10% off coupon - $79
- 20% for gift cards acquired through Dealpass.com

fonzinator

Nov 5, 2002
I can't wait for Zenith's DVB318 to be released. It will upconvert to 720p and 1080i via component!! :cool: Should be a perfect match for this set.

Basilisk

Sep 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Fallen Kell
I can't wait for the Onkyo TX-NR1000 to be released! This will do everything :p

And with an SRP pf only $4K, everyone can afford two! ;)
rolleye.gif

Thomcat

Oct 9, 1999
That price for the onkyo is actually pretty reasonable given that competitive products from lexicon cost significantly more. Then again lexicon is the gold standard professionally.

TGregg

Dec 22, 2003
Originally posted by: LukFilm
Got a brand-new one from Sears for $602.96 tax included :D
- 110% PM to BB - $789.99
- 10% off coupon - $79
- 20% for gift cards acquired through Dealpass.com

Where'd ya get that swell 10% off coupon?

yepper

Apr 23, 2002
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
Just a heads-up that these are back in stock (only 10 left) There were about 20, but a good bit of them were purchased yesterday.

I re-ordered.

I jumped on the 30PW9818 for $800 a couple of weeks ago. Still waiting for it to arrive. I'm hoping the PixelPlus is worth the extra $200. Also the 30PW9819 for $850 would be awesome w/ DVI.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: yepper
Originally posted by: LikeLinus

I re-ordered.

I jumped on the 30PW9818 for $800 a couple of weeks ago. Still waiting for it to arrive. I'm hoping the PixelPlus is worth the extra $200. Also the 30PW9819 for $850 would be awesome w/ DVI.

I actually thought about getting another model, but since it's a bedroom TV, i'm not too worried about having the absolute best picture in the world. I've got other HDTV's for that. I think it'll have a great picture though. I've seen nothing but positive reviews.

Good Luck with the 9818, looks like a sweet TV.

Yeah it takes about 2 weeks to arrive.

johnnyamerica

Mar 27, 2004
Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time post ... been following this thread closely cause i ordered the 30" a few weeks ago and was one of those refunded back their money because they oversold their stock.

I still think they have some great deals tho, on their site and wanted your opinion on those 34" 34PW8520 for $975. You guys think this is worth it from those who have bought their t.v.s from electronicnation? I'm just concearned cause that is a great price and i don't care if the t.v. is refurb. but i don't want to spend 975 on a t.v. that possible works fine but is all scratched up or something. Anyone here have complaints about their condition of tv?

Also anyone else know of a vendor selling refurb t.v.'s like electronicnation for other brand t.v's?

Thanks and sorry for the noobie post.

tji

Dec 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Fallen Kell
I can't wait for the Onkyo TX-NR1000 to be released! This will do everything :p

Wow, that thing is incredible.. It reminds me of high end network gear I have used. The interchangeable blades for new interfaces are nice when the standards change. It has HDMI audio/video interfaces, which recently replaced DVI as the interface of choice for HDTV gear.

Hopefully they adapt that to midrange gear. I would like to have a choice of interfaces.. get rid of all those s-video and composite video inputs I never use.

yepper

Apr 23, 2002
Originally posted by: johnnyamerica
Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time post ... been following this thread closely cause i ordered the 30" a few weeks ago and was one of those refunded back their money because they oversold their stock.

I still think they have some great deals tho, on their site and wanted your opinion on those 34" 34PW8520 for $975. You guys think this is worth it from those who have bought their t.v.s from electronicnation? I'm just concearned cause that is a great price and i don't care if the t.v. is refurb. but i don't want to spend 975 on a t.v. that possible works fine but is all scratched up or something. Anyone here have complaints about their condition of tv?

Also anyone else know of a vendor selling refurb t.v.'s like electronicnation for other brand t.v's?

Thanks and sorry for the noobie post.

Search the threads over at avsforum.com. You'll find lots of happy customers. Electronicsnation just places the order with Philips. The unit is shipped directly from a Philips warehouse. I've heard of some units having some scratches on the sides/tops but some look brand new. You can also ask them to order a model that they don't have stock for. You'll be put on a waiting list.

I did see another outfit selling Philips refurbs on ebay. Their prices were a little higher. Bottom line is: compare the new and refurb prices (total out the door), throw in your own tolerance for risk, then make a decision.

SJGiant

Jan 12, 2004
The local Good Guys ad (bay area) has a 30" Phillips Widescreen, HDTV Ready tv with built in DVD player for $650 on clearance, it says while supplies last. I didn't check to see if its the exact same tv model, but thought it might help someone out who didn't get in on this deal.

J~

Research

Feb 18, 2003
Finally ordered this TV when they had 3 left in the stok ... after ordering ... now it shows 14 left. Don?t know if these guys are using 'limited stock' as a marketing gimmick. Anyway ... just wondering how are your TVs doing? Any regrets?

Also, somewhere in the thread I read that they do not ship to Apartments ... is it true? I placed my order 4 days back, but still can't track it on their website ... any similar experience? I really need to fix my delivery date or else I'm sure to miss it due to my screwy job ....

fonzinator

Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by: Research
Finally ordered this TV when they had 3 left in the stok ... after ordering ... now it shows 14 left. Don?t know if these guys are using 'limited stock' as a marketing gimmick. Anyway ... just wondering how are your TVs doing? Any regrets?

Also, somewhere in the thread I read that they do not ship to Apartments ... is it true? I placed my order 4 days back, but still can't track it on their website ... any similar experience? I really need to fix my delivery date or else I'm sure to miss it due to my screwy job ....
My set is still going strong. 480p on Xbox games looks REALLY sharp. I can't wait to see some 720p and 1080i signals on this. Too bad HDTV tuners are still too expensive for me...someday though!! And the Zenith DVB318 I referenced a few posts up should take DVDs to the next level. I'm still really happy with this purchase - no regrets so far.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001

It takes about 5-7 days for it to ship. It's shipped directly from Philips.

No the limited stock isn't a marketing gimmick. They cancelled mine and a bunch of other peoples orders because they oversold. They had to refund my card the $600.

The company (PilotAir) has to call you to arrange delivery or you can pick it up from what others has said. A lot of these questions are answered throughout the thread, read up on it.

Anyone know the ZIP CODE they are shipping from? Mine just shipped! Trying to figure out the transit times.

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
Mine is going strong also...just wish HD receivers were cheaper so I can get one.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: fonzinator

My set is still going strong. 480p on Xbox games looks REALLY sharp. I can't wait to see some 720p and 1080i signals on this. Too bad HDTV tuners are still too expensive for me...someday though!! And the Zenith DVB318 I referenced a few posts up should take DVDs to the next level. I'm still really happy with this purchase - no regrets so far.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for 720p on a CRT tube set...

yepper

Apr 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: fonzinator

I wouldn't get your hopes up for 720p on a CRT tube set...

Well, this set will only do 1080i, not 720p.