30" 2560x1600 Korean IPS or 27" 1080 120hz TN?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
I'm also curious as to why you're going 1080p for TN(27") & then for the extra 3" you jump onto the IPS bandwagon & 2560x1600 ? If you're fine with 27" then you get a plethora of models to choose from i.e. IPS/TN or AMVA & a combination of four different resolutions as well !

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I'll add that if you're gonna spend long hours on this particular monitor then go for an IPS build & see if it has PWM flicker, you can also check out the latest AMVA panels that offer the best of both(IPS/TN) & are relatively cheap as well.

Why would he get a 30 inch 2560x1600 monitor over a 1080p 27" TN? Did you really just ask such a silly question? Hey if you like TN, that's great. But there is no TN that is any better with motion smoothness unless you get a 120hz model with lightboost. Furthermore, VA has worse viewing angles than TN. The only differentiation with VA panels is that they have deeper black levels than TN or IPS, but they have all of the other drawbacks including: crap resolution (eg 1080p), poor viewing angles, mediocre motion clarity in comparison to lightboost. There is literally no reason to ever get VA unless you only care about black levels. Plain TN sucks. 6 bit color, terrible viewing angles, washed out colors even with dead on viewing. No thanks. I can see the argument for 120hz lightboost, but that is the only TN that *could* be worth getting if you don't care about the other negatives. Not a regular TN or a VA panel. VA panels are hilariously bad with viewing angles, it's not comparable to IPS or PLS in that regard. And obviously VA does not offer wide gamut color which IPS and PLS do.

That's the problem with ever asking for advice on a monitor purchase. You'll find a million IPS detractors who have not actually used one and then will state nonsensical things, such as the above comment about VA viewing angles. Christ. That is just not correct.

OP, I maintain what I said earlier. Make your choice: high resolution / pixel density versus 120hz lightboost. Period end of story. There are only two valid choices: lightboost 120hz which has low resolution, pixellation at 27 inches, poor pixel density, and bad viewing angles. Or IPS with not as good motion in FPS games, but is just fine anyway. Better viewing angles, wide gamut color, better color accuracy, etc, etc. Make your choice. For RTS and RPG games I highly suspect you will like IPS a lot more thanks to the added real estate and pixel density - certainly way better than the pixellated 1080p at 27 inches.
It's really not worth discussing further because it's complete personal preference, opinions on this matter have a lot of variance - it is ultimately completely worthless to ask anyone elses opinion. Again. Two choices. Pick one.

Last edited:

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
Why would he get a 30 inch 2560x1600 monitor over a 1080p 27" TN? Did you really just ask such a silly question? Hey if you like TN, that's great. But there is no TN that is any better with motion smoothness unless you get a 120hz model with lightboost. Furthermore, VA has worse viewing angles than TN. The only differentiation with VA panels is that they have deeper black levels than TN or IPS, but they have all of the other drawbacks including: crap resolution (eg 1080p), poor viewing angles, mediocre motion clarity in comparison to lightboost. There is literally no reason to ever get VA unless you only care about black levels. Plain TN sucks. 6 bit color, terrible viewing angles, washed out colors even with dead on viewing. No thanks. I can see the argument for 120hz lightboost, but that is the only TN that *could* be worth getting if you don't care about the other negatives. Not a regular TN or a VA panel. VA panels are hilariously bad with viewing angles, it's not comparable to IPS or PLS in that regard. And obviously VA does not offer wide gamut color which IPS and PLS do.

That's the problem with ever asking for advice on a monitor purchase. You'll find a million IPS detractors who have not actually used one and then will state nonsensical things about VA viewing angles. That is just not correct. OP, I maintain what I said earlier. Make your choice: high resolution / pixel density versus 120hz lightboost. Period end of story. Pick your preference. For RTS and RPG games I highly suspect you will like IPS a lot more thanks to the added real estate and pixel density - certainly way better than the pixellated 1080p at 27 inches.
I don't get it, what you're trying to say here ? I said for long hours IPS is the best choice btw you're wrong about AMVA, check the latest reviews cause they do have better viewing angles than TN & smaller lag as compared to most IPS panels ! Also most IPS are 6-Bit +FRC but AMVA these days are getting native 8bit panels. So if its not too much to ask, what did you find so much as inaccurate in my earlier post ?

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
AMVA:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

AMVA still has some limitations however in practice, still suffering from the off-centre contrast shift you see from VA matrices. Viewing angles are therefore not as wide as IPS technology and the technology is often dismissed for colour critical work as a result. Contrast ratios are capable of being very high, but it seems many desktop monitors have only average contrast ratio performance comparable to older P-MVA and modern TN Film panels, and not surpassing PVA matrices. Some more recent AMVA modules are paired with W-LED backlighting and do offer some staggering static contrast ratios of >3000:1 though. Response time remains competitive and in line with the developments made with the P-MVA generation of panels. However, it does not appear to be as reactive as some overdriven TN Film and IPS matrices when it comes to pixel response times.

I'm aware of AMVA. Aside from not having wide gamut color (admittedly, this may not matter to a lot of folks..), The viewing angles are not good - furthermore, the pixel response times on many units is worse than both IPS and TN, certainly not worth getting AMVA over a 120hz lightboost or real IPS, IMHO. Adding insult to injury, VA panels are still limited to 1080p. Even tablets are past 1080p now, I don't know why AU optronics insists on pushing a 2006 resolution on us? Thus we're left with the fact that the real reason people get AMVA is for better black levels. Until AU optronics improves the technology, I simply don't see any real reason to get VA for gaming.

Last edited:

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
Last edited:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
What I obviously meant was that AMVA is better than TN in color reproduction & viewing angles whilst beating IPS at response times & contrast ratios ! If you're aware of pros & cons of each of the three you should know that I didn't mean to say AMVA is the best cause each tech has its pros & cons !

You know, you're right on that point. I misunderstood your intent, I agree with you - each panel type has pros and cons - sadly none are perfect yet.

Our best hope is OLED, which doesn't appear to be going mainstream anytime soon (not at an affordable level, at least). Unfortunate, really.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
ok peoples, since i mostly play RTS & RPG games, i'm sold on the IPS panel! Thanks for all the input everyone! Now, can any of you help me decide on the best one from the following 2? one is a 27" Crossover gold, which i can get $310 here (but it sells for $500 on ebay) and the other is one that my Korean friend recommends (microboard) which he says is higher quality than crossover, yamasaki, and all those other ones, but its more expensive (makes sense i guess). I can't read Korean, but the specs and pictures are there with some English and some of them might be pretty obvious to u guys. here are the links:

First the 30" microboard panels which are supposed to be higher quality & that aren't sold on Ebay (they advertise the i3006WQ has a LG IPS Q5 panel, i believe it's the newer model). Can't link directly to them for some reason as the site is java based or something, but from the main site: click the LCD tab, then the 30" (2560x1600) tab, and you'll see the i310A4 & the i3006WQ. Both come with only 1 DVI outlet and sell for $610 & $650 respectively. You can add more options but it pushes the price $700-$900, and i really just need DVI. main site is here:

http://www.microboard.co.kr/

Then the specs for the crossover 27" 270MDP GOLD LED which sells for $330 & can be found on ebay (for $500) but my friend tells me its "lower quality" than the microboard. Here's the sale site with specs & info:

http://item.gmarket.co.kr/DetailVie...GoodsSale=Y&jaehuid=200002657&service_id=pcdn

So, which would you recommend? I can't notice any diff between the 2 30" panels, but the i3006WQ certainly looks newer and is advertised more heavily. The 27" crossover isn't looking so good.:p Can any of u discern a difference based on the specs & info? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

UNhooked

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2004
I recently went from a 16:10 to a 16:9 setup and I must say while the games and movies look great, I find it harder to read the text. Is this because of the ratio?

indy2878

Apr 9, 2013
Or you can do what I do....Get 2x 20" LCD monitors and save on costs....
Also don't forget to adjust the "refresh rate" for your game video settings
to be like 75 hertz or more if possible to get higher frames per second...
I'm not sure about the latter advice, but I read somewhere it helps...

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
ok peoples, since i mostly play RTS & RPG games, i'm sold on the IPS panel! Thanks for all the input everyone! Now, can any of you help me decide on the best one from the following 2? one is a 27" Crossover gold, which i can get $310 here (but it sells for $500 on ebay) and the other is one that my Korean friend recommends (microboard) which he says is higher quality than crossover, yamasaki, and all those other ones, but its more expensive (makes sense i guess). I can't read Korean, but the specs and pictures are there with some English and some of them might be pretty obvious to u guys. here are the links:

First the 30" microboard panels which are supposed to be higher quality & that aren't sold on Ebay (they advertise the i3006WQ has a LG IPS Q5 panel, i believe it's the newer model). Can't link directly to them for some reason as the site is java based or something, but from the main site: click the LCD tab, then the 30" (2560x1600) tab, and you'll see the i310A4 & the i3006WQ. Both come with only 1 DVI outlet and sell for $610 & $650 respectively. You can add more options but it pushes the price $700-$900, and i really just need DVI. main site is here:

Then the specs for the crossover 27" 270MDP GOLD LED which sells for $330 & can be found on ebay (for $500) but my friend tells me its "lower quality" than the microboard. Here's the sale site with specs & info:

http://item.gmarket.co.kr/DetailVie...GoodsSale=Y&jaehuid=200002657&service_id=pcdn

So, which would you recommend? I can't notice any diff between the 2 30" panels, but the i3006WQ certainly looks newer and is advertised more heavily. The 27" crossover isn't looking so good.:p Can any of u discern a difference based on the specs & info? Thanks in advance!

ok so no opinions on the above panel choices?

Also, is 2gb Vid Ram enough for 2560x1600? my RTS & RPGs don't exceed 800-900gb of VRAM @ 1080p according to GPU-Z. How much more VRAM will they use @ 2560-1600? Thanks.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
The only decent IPS monitor i have seen is the dell 3014 which offers no input lag and decent pixel response. It costs $1500-$1600 though.

Also remember you can kiss goodbye maximum settings unless you have dual flagship GPU's and you will need new ones every 2 years.

This is a huge outlay in upgrade costs.

Even then IPS pixel response is pretty poor and you will likely see an element of motion blur. Also you have to turn off all of the features of the monitor to get input lag into the single digits which makes spending $1500 on a monitor seem excessive.

TN or IPS both have good and bad points.

-Newegg is selling the 3011 for $1099.99 (it was just 989.00 a week ago)
-There are plenty of games that play with great settings on a 1600P monitor; but you are true if you refer to just cutting-edge titles
-input lag on the 3011 is only 24ms (that's actually pretty excellent unless you are a real twitch RPS gamer)
-You can get the ZR30W for between $1100-1200 and it has no scaler (better input lag) and is also a great 30'' LCD

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
-Newegg is selling the 3011 for $1099.99 (it was just 989.00 a week ago)
-There are plenty of games that play with great settings on a 1600P monitor; but you are true if you refer to just cutting-edge titles
-input lag on the 3011 is only 24ms (that's actually pretty excellent unless you are a real twitch RPS gamer)
-You can get the ZR30W for between $1100-1200 and it has no scaler (better input lag) and is also a great 30'' LCD

24 ms is bad.

the 3014 is less than 4ms

Also prices are a rip off. I wont ever buy 1600p over 1440p

hawtdawg

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2005
I got one of the Monoprice 30 inchers. I got the one that had multiple inputs. I ended up sending it back. While it's not a bad monitor by any means, the black level on it was just atrocious. My 170 dollar Samsung LED screen from a couple of years ago has significantly better blacks.

The controls are also very limited. So there was no way to turn down the backlight, even though the monitor can get way brighter than what I would consider comfortable. I would have much preferred to have been able to dial back the backlight for better blacks. As a plasma TV owner, this probably bothers me more than it would most people, but I think the blacks are bad even for an LCD.

It's a Korean version of the 3011, so its wide-gamut, but there is no option to switch to sRGB, which was ultimately the biggest problem, because the colors look exaggerated. I have an i1 Display Pro, and it calibrated nicely for color managed stuff, but it bothered me on things that werent color managed.

One really cool thing that might interest some of you though, was that with my Titan, I was able to send it a 120hz signal at 1600p, and the thing accepted it with no complaints. I don't think it was legitimately doing 120hz, but there was a clear improvement as far as input lag.

Jinru

Feb 6, 2006

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Hey all, i'm looking @ upgrading my old Samsung P2770 27" TN LCD. It was a great monitor at its time, but i'm currently working in S Korea and seeing so many incredibly cheap IPS panels here in the $300-$400. My Korean friends recommended i avoid crossover, Yamasaki, and all the others that i find on Ebay and go with "Microboard" brand name which is higher quality and more expensive. Check out their monitors:

Anyways, its either the i3006WQ (LG IPS Q5 panel), or a 27" TN panels @ 120hz. I'm a gamer, but mostly a RTS & RPG gamer, so don't really play that many FPS games (only BF3 and even then just occasionally). Will i notice a hugh issue with ghosting on the 30" IPS? Also, i own a GTX 670, i understand i'll hafta turn off AA in most new titles to game @ 2560x1600, but i always figured AA was for the lower resolutions anyways, no?

Thanks in advance for any feedback and advice!

Its going to be 5ms to 15ms for all LED if you go with the korean 30" I would guesss its 8ms ,,,,,,,, the TN is LED once again so 5ms and up for LED mon. thx gl

Peter Nixeus

Aug 27, 2012
www.nixeus.com
Another question, what's the difference between an IPS panel and an IPS LED panel? is it just marketing or is the IPS LED actually better? thanks

Generally, an IPS LED Monitor use a LED backlight system while if companies market just using the "IPS" most likely the monitors are using CCFL backlighting for their IPS monitors.

In regards the LG 30" Q5 panel, it is using a CCFL backlighting system that may also provide 98% to 100% AdobeRGB color spectrum with support of up to 1.07 Billion colors. From what I know, the LG 30" Q5 panel also have anti-glare coating.

Lee Saxon

Jan 31, 2010
I'm concerned there is a problem with the example image. It does not represent the situation of perfect scaling that 4K provides.

My concern is because you seem to have degraded the original crop, doing some destructiveness instead of simply enlarging it the way perfect scaling would do. Instead of preserving all original info, you seem to have recorded it at a lower resolution of 300x400?

The argument that I think is very convincing about 4K is that no information is lost or added. It's just that for 1080p material, you are using 4 pixels on the 4K screen to display every pixel from the 1080p material.

So to analogize to your image, for fairness, you should have simply enlarged the 600x800 image to 1200x1600. It would appear perfectly the same, only bigger. That might reveal some of the original pixelation, but would be no different than simply holding a magnifying lens to enlarge the original and see the original pixels.

I did nothing to degrade the original crop. I resized it to 300x400 and then resized it back up to 600x800 to simulate an image recorded at 300x400 then doubled in size. Simply resizing 1200x1600 (an image recorded at 600x800 then doubled in size) produces EXACTLY the same pixelation. I did it the other way so that you could more easily compare to the original.

This is what "using 4 pixels to display 1 pixel of information" looks like. "Perfect scaling" is marketing hype, it doesn't exist.

By the way, this was done with high quality resampling in Photoshop, which with a 1920x1080 frame takes more than 1/30th of a second. The realtime resampling in your 4K panel will have to be even lower quality.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Your description is rather vague, and I'm a simple man. Can you lay out what you did more simply so I can understand?

You throw around that term resize like it's crystal clear, but I think you are conveniently leaving out the details.

You also realize that it's possible that by resizing something, destruction of information occurs? *ESPECIALLY* if it's an uneven multiple you are resizing to. So what exactly do you mean? You seem to describe three separate resizing events, right? What do you mean there, by how you resized it, then resized it back, then doubled in size? Whah?

Lepton87

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2009
If someone is that worried about scaling issues from 1080p to 2560x1440 then use 720p content, you will have your perfect scaling. Personally I don't care if a movie I'm watching is 1080p or 720p. So for movies I'm not waiting impatiently for 4k. I'm not even sure if I need 4k for games, all I want is around 130ppi on a desktop screen, any more and I don't care. For 30'' that's 3584x2016. Well, that's pretty close to 4k after all.

Mark Rejhon

Dec 13, 2012
Personally im waiting for OLED because i have heard they are super fast responsive and colours are amazing with resolutions that will also be great. Not to mention the first ever curved screens for gaming!
OLED's can be quite responsive, but unfortunately most OLED's still have more motion blur than 120Hz LCD's.

See: Why Do Some OLED's Have Motion Blur?
Alas, even a 0ms pixel response time, can create lots of motion blur, if you still have the "sample-and-hold" problem -- which is a big issue for most OLED displays. That's why there's a lot of motion blur during fast-scrolling lists on Playstation Vita and Samsung Galaxy S3's. More motion blur than even the worst 120Hz LCD monitors. That said, OLED does have vastly superior color.

Thankfully, motion blur on OLED is a fixable problem, however -- since OLED's can be made impulse-driven (flicker), or run at higher Hz to compensate. But watch out for the AMOLED motion blur problem.

Last edited:

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
I have experience with the Korean 27" display and it was a terrible one. Very cheap build quality (looked like it was assembled in someone's garage), lack of inputs/functionality, horrible backlight bleed and some of the worst uniformity I've ever laid eyes on. Well at least it had OK response times. :rolleyes:

I ended up spending proper money on an LG 27EA83-D and don't regret it one bit. Colors are fantastic, good black levels and it has lots of adjustable options plus programmable LUT. It's wide gamut so some people don't like that but there's alternatives out there for people that want sRGB though the 27EA83-D has sRGB simulation as well.

So I'd say stay away from the imported no-name Korean junk unless you have a small budget and are willing to take a gamble + no real warranty.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Some people are so harsh on monitors. I've been gaming on a 5 year old TN samsung 2693HM 19x12. Don't notice ghosting, bad colors or bad viewing angles, even compared to my IPS Dell 24" 19x12 at work (not sure the exact model).

phillyboy

Jun 3, 2006
That 30" panel is probably wide gamut just to warn you.

2560x1440 at 27" is A LOT of real estate to work with and games look slick on there, so I would lean towards one of those with low input lag vs a 30". The Viewsonic VP2770 is supposed to be good on all fronts for a 27" 2560x1440 monitor (low input lag [per prad.de], good response time, decent overshoot).

1920x1080 at 27" would probably look like a little too blocky for me, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
I have experience with the Korean 27" display and it was a terrible one. ... Well at least it had OK response times. :rolleyes:

I ended up spending proper money on an LG 27EA83-D and don't regret it one bit. ...

... So I'd say stay away from the imported no-name Korean junk unless you have a small budget and are willing to take a gamble + no real warranty.

Hey any idea which panel was used on your Korean 27"? I can't help but wonder if it was actually the same LG panel as your LG 27EA83-D? That would be an awesome case study in confirmation bias if true, but I doubt it. But do you think it was one of the Samsung PLS panels in your bad Korean 27"?