3 Whey Protein deals

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Walliser

Oct 24, 2001
Yeah, I agree with the people who said this seems almost too good to be true.

Well, I tried the stuff and I am not put off by it's taste, so I ordered some more now. Sure beats eating cans and cans of tuna.

xenolith

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2000
My cheap home brew:

24oz. non-fat cottage cheese
14oz. brick of extra-firm tofu
4 bananas
1 can of juice concentrate (strawberry daiquiri or raspberry are my favorites)
2 cups water

Blend the above ingredients in a large food processor or very large blender. Store in fridge (usually last me 5 days). An old (protein powder) tub works great as a storage container.

Now take a 64oz. pouring/drinking container like this and combine 2 cups of above ingredients with 3 cups (9 servings) of dehydrated skim milk, 1 cup water, and 4tbls. canola oil. Shake to blend and again store in fridge. This usually provides/replaces three of my five daily meals.

This packs about 110 grams of casein, soy, and milk proteins, maintains the 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat profile, tastes darn good as long as it's cold, and all the ingredients are cheap and available at your local grocer.

slycat

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Walliser
I just placed a major order with vitaglo, the one with 2x 5lbs of Designer for $55 with free shipping and some additional stuff. Pity they only have vanilla and chocolate. I hate artificial chocolate flavor.

Well, we'll see what comes thru. If there is a problem I'll let the credit card company sort it out. But so far it looks good, $55 for 10lbs of Designer whey protein and free shipping.

uhmm..ok why are u thinking there's gonna be a problem?...i received my 2 Designer's within 7days and
i paid $55. I've ordered through them(vitaglo.com) for almost a year no problems.

scrubman

Jul 6, 2000
that is good!!! i spoke to a rep there and she confirmed!!! im on it!!

have you ever seen this good of a price before Slycat?

slycat

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
i was very surprised at that since i always paid around $18 for the small can.
At first i thought maybe i'd get an 'OEM' version :p of Designer but seven days
later huge case was on my front door with 2 non-oem cans of DesignerProtein~Vanilla...
looks exactly the same as regular cans...labels exact..except these are huge :)
I wonder how long the deal lasts but this is a great deal for the price and as vouched by
users everywhere, their protein is easily one of the better ones out there. That aside, +3 points
by me coz 1) Tastes good without making u get fed-up with it after a while 2) mixes easily..everything
mixes with a blender but i got no time for that so by 'easily' i mean it mixes rather effortless with just a fork/spoon
with minimal clumping 3) Does NOT fill u up...goes in easily and doesn't bloat u up(important for me).

Paid $55 total. end of story.

Trianon

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2000
www.conkurent.com
Originally posted by: Mr0ffic3r
Ok... this one is for all your Personal trainers ;)

I'm 19 .... 135lbs ... and i wanna gain weight (muscle)... maybe up to 150 - 155

what are your opinions of using the Opt. Nut Protein with Andro Stack 850 ?? Will it work (fast?) ? and are there any major side effects?
Thanks!

~Chris

Prohormones are the waste of money... 1-AD is the only thing that kinda sounds like it works, but still not as much as advertised. Eat lots of clean food in 5-6 sittings a day, lift heavy-ass weitghts and you'll get there. No miracle pills(at least the legal ones;)

darqice

Mar 23, 2001
this thread came up just as i re-joined my local Y and decided to get back into decent shape and build myself a ripped body.

a great site for everyone who is confused by all the supplement/steroid hype/crap that is out there that I just found is bodybuildingforyou.com. Short on lots of details, but long on common sense the guys seems to know what he's talking about. Good info on protein, et al on the menu down the left. Also there is a decent entry level and supportive back to the basics active forum. Personally I'm kinda turned off by all the steroid CRAP on so many of the other bodybuilding sites out there. I just want to work out effectively, and take the right supplements (basically just protein, and maybe creatine) and this site helped me cut to the chase.

happy lifting...

darq

jdub1107

Golden Member
Feb 9, 2003
A little off topic from original post, but I hope someone can help me. I just recently read "Power of 10" which is about slow motion lifting and resting 5-7 days in between each session. I am wondering if anyone has tried this and how it works opposed to conventional weight lifting and resting only 1-2 days between each muscle group.

MMarks2

Jan 10, 2002
If anyone cares, they have Balance protein bars at WALMART for 5.22 for a 6 bar pack. Thats the cheapest I have ever seen anywhere. They also have powerbar for 88 cents everday.

odoe

Dec 3, 2001
I'm no slow lifting freak, but the basic idea of this is to work your muscles to failure. Failure being the point at which you lift the heaviest you can for up to maybe 10-15 reps, depending on the muscle group. Then by waiting 5-7 days, you allow the muscles plenty of time to rebuild, as opposed to every other day when you could fall into overtraining and get negative or diminishing results.

I'm a firm believer in training to failure using single sets. Especially 20 rep squats. I have seen nice results by waiting 3-4 days between workouts. Most of the work is in the diet, Try it for a while and see how it works for you. Routines can differ among people as to what works, and what doesn't.

By the way, Mike Mentzer was a big advocate of this type of training, through all his philosophical what not, he had solid points. I would also look into Arthur Jones articles, especially if you could find some from old IronMan magazines.

cremefilled

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2000
jdub, the slow-motion type of training, which has been variously dubbed "high-intensity," "stressless," "Nautilus-style," etc., is not very highly thought of in the bodybuilding community. Of course, the "bodybuilding community" encompasses many ideas and beliefs, but what I mean is that if you talked to 10,000 college-educated weightlifters across the country, who A) have been lifting weights for at least four or five years, and B) have an IQ of 120 or above, you'd find very, very few that espouse the slow-motion system as being the best. You would find _some_ who believe in it, however, and maybe for them it really works the best.

It is interesting to try, and it is a great way to rehab after an injury. It is also a good way to work around limited equipment--you can make a small amount of weight feel much heavier. But I think that a more mainstream approach of each rep lasting a total of from 3 to 8 seconds (concentric + eccentric + any pause) is what most people find to work, and what has proven the test of time. However, I think that working each muscle group every five to seven days _is_ mainstream. I'd say that the majority of serious bodybuilders train this way.

There are many, many possible paths to success in bodybuilding, and these are not only specific to the individual, they are specific to the individual for that moment in his or her training history. What you should do, if you are in this for the long haul, is to increase your "training vocabulary" so that you understand as many parameters as possible. When you can articulate why a "slow-motion" style may be good or bad, and when you can back it up with empirical evidence from having tried it yourself, then you will have "arrived" as a thinking man's weightlifter/bodybuilder.

The lack of absolutes in bodybuilding is what many find so fascinating.

P.S.--For a shortcut approach to your question, look around your gym and see if anybody is using a slow-motion/muscles shaking/grimacing-on-the-leg-extension-machine type workout. Yes? Are they among the bigger people in the gym? Nope, thought so.