3 officers cleared in Manuel Ellis’ death each being paid $500,000

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004

'Three Washington state police officers who were cleared of criminal charges in the 2020 death of Manuel Ellis — a Black man who was shocked, beaten and restrained facedown on a sidewalk as he pleaded for breath — will each receive $500,000 to leave the Tacoma Police Department, according to documents released Tuesday...

...In an email, Matthew Ericksen, an attorney for Ellis’ family, called it “perverse” and said the officers were “effectively being rewarded” for his death. He noted that the officers had already been paid about $1.5 million total while being on leave for nearly four years...

...Ellis, 33, was walking home with doughnuts from a 7-Eleven in Tacoma, about 30 miles (50 kilometers) south of Seattle, when he passed a patrol car stopped at a red light, with Collins and Burbank inside.

The officers claimed they saw Ellis try to open the door of a passing car at the intersection and he became aggressive when they tried to question him about it. Collins testified that Ellis demonstrated “superhuman strength” by lifting Collins off the ground and throwing him through the air.

But three witnesses testified they saw no such thing. After what appeared to be a brief conversation between Ellis and the officers, who are both white, Burbank, in the passenger seat, threw open his door, knocking Ellis down, they said.

The witnesses — one of whom yelled for the officers to stop attacking Ellis — and a doorbell surveillance camera captured video of parts of the encounter. The video showed Ellis with his hands up in a surrender position as Burbank shot a Taser at his chest and Collins wrapped an arm around his neck from behind.

Rankine was among the many other officers who responded. Ellis was already handcuffed facedown when he arrived. Rankine knelt on his upper back.

Video showed Ellis addressing the officers as “sir” while telling them he couldn’t breathe. One officer is heard responding, “Shut the (expletive) up, man.”

Attorneys for the officers argued that Ellis died from a lethal amount of methamphetamine that was in his system as well as a heart condition, not from the officers’ actions.

Ellis’ death became a touchstone for racial justice demonstrators in the Pacific Northwest. But it also coincided with the first U.S. outbreak of COVID-19 at a nursing home in nearby Kirkland and did not garner the attention that the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis did nearly three months later.'

Wow. This is one of the most egregious outcomes of officers being tried for murder, with all the evidence and witnesses provided at the trial. I can't believe they weren't convicted of even the manslaughter, and furthermore in a city like Tacoma. Just shows that there are bad apples everywhere, waiting to get off the hook for murder.

Now they're getting sizable chunks of money to go to another town or city that will hire them. Being paid for murder. Just...wow.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
The only jobs in America where you get paid more for sucking at your job CEOs and Police. They will probably go on to be cops in some city around there as well.

I had completely forgotten about this event.

Last edited:

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004

I remember hearing about it initially, but it got buried under news about covid outbreaks and then George Floyd. I was surprised there was not a thread about it already in P&N though.

GettyRoad

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2016
Cops should not serve minorities, there is no relationship to be had, 2020 proved that. Also, if people would have better self control, they would not be a need for a police force. People should police themselves, hence the 2A.

• Haha
Reactions: Tsinni Dave

Tsinni Dave

Mar 1, 2022
Cops should not serve minorities, there is no relationship to be had, 2020 proved that. Also, if people would have better self control, they would not be a need for a police force. People should police themselves, hence the 2A.
Please stop.

Mar 11, 2004
Well that's fucked up, but sadly just another clear attempt at absolute insanity by police that for some fucking reason isn't questioned by other police.

So effectively they each made a million dollars to murder someone and then get to sit around not working for years? JFC.

Please stop.

Yes, please stop responding to such obvious attempts to incite responses like yours and all the others that enable that loser to jerkoff. I'm not even kidding, your angry responses likely literally get them aroused as hateboners are the only way they can get off. This is a real thing, not unlike what leads to serial killers that find murder is the only way they can get aroused.

GettyRoad

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2016
Jesus fucking christ. Dude was just walking home minding his business.
People should avoid police in general, try to stay out of trouble, not every social problem has to require police involvement....

Like I said previously, if people had better social control of themselves, there would not be a need for police.

Policing started out in England in the 1600s.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I mean this is a case where the phrase, Defund the Police makes a lot of sense.

This is disgusting.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
People should avoid police in general, try to stay out of trouble, not every social problem has to require police involvement....

Like I said previously, if people had better social control of themselves, there would not be a need for police.

We pay their salaries. We are not supposed to be afraid of them.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Wow. This is one of the most egregious outcomes of officers being tried for murder, with all the evidence and witnesses provided at the trial. I can't believe they weren't convicted of even the manslaughter, and furthermore in a city like Tacoma. Just shows that there are bad apples everywhere, waiting to get off the hook for murder.

Now they're getting sizable chunks of money to go to another town or city that will hire them. Being paid for murder. Just...wow.
There is a pretty simple solution to this instead of this fixation on hoping cops get decades or life in prison; get rid of all public sector unions.

The only jobs in America where you get paid more for sucking at your job CEOs and Police. They will probably go on to be cops in some city around there as well.

Military easily beats police. I noticed they say all 3 were combat veterans. I wouldn't be surprised if they are 100% P&T yet got hired knowing that since they have to still consider them. That alone is already more than 1 Powerball.

This btw is just part of "the union advantage". Just like the rubber rooms and the dance of the lemons and tenure in relation to teachers. It is just that a bad cop can mean somebody dies unnecessarily while a bad teach usually just means Johnny does a little worse on a standardized test.

But...but black people are treated equally in this country, right?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

It has been on the news non-stop here in the greater Seattle/Tacoma area. Cops seem to always get the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: Pohemi

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

You're disgusting.

• Love
Reactions: Drach and Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
There is a pretty simple solution to this instead of this fixation on hoping cops get decades or life in prison; get rid of all public sector unions.

I agree with getting rid of police unions and especially the Fraternal Order of Police. Why should teachers and other public sectors lose their labor unions because of police murdering citizens? How does that solve anything? Not all public sector unions are police unions.

The desire to hold police accountable for actions like this that cost someone their life is not a "fixation" on the officer(s) spending life in prison. The fixation, if there is one, is to hold them accountable for their actions. You know...like every other fucking citizen? Yeah. Why should police be immune? And why should taxpayers end up paying for their damages?

Don't use police fuckery as an excuse to ditch every OTHER public sector's labor rights.