3 favorite sports to watch on TV?

MrToilet

Feb 28, 2005
My list:

1. College football - the players and teams care about every game, the obligatory "hot college coed" cam, cheerleaders, great stadiums, generally the commentators don't suck.

2. Soccer (football) (European leagues - US isn't quite up there - yet) - strategy and build-up to a goal, athleticism, fans live and die for their teams (not always a good thing). I could do without the diving and embellishing injuries, though. There's a reason why it's called the 'beautiful game'. And the commentators usually know what they're talking about.

3. Hockey - The ultimate team game, and it's pretty fast, the game keeps flowing. I stopped watching after the strike for a while, and it's disappointing that the strike knocked out the NHL from the major TV networks, and I have to keep searching to find games (especially in HD), but I still love the game.

Pro football is close behind, but I really can't stand listening to the commentators. It's a sad state of affairs when you'd rather shut the sound off then listen to them prattling on and on about useless, random information.

Baseball is just boring to watch on TV, but awesome in person. I went to a couple games at Wrigley last year, and it was awesome. At least the commentary isn't too bad....

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
*Big Wave Surfing - Too bad its not on more often, no other sport compares (for me)

*NBA basketball - The most exciting mainstream Pro Sports. Helps when my Trailblazers field a competetive team (like now :)

*NFL Football - I loose interest quick when my Seahawks are out of contention...like now :(

I also like watching multi-sports like;

*Winter X games
*The Winter/Summer Olympics
*Xgames

Prefer my sports in HD :thumbsup:

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
1) College football involving Auburn
2) College football involving Ohio State
3) College football in general

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
1.Formula 1. I like numbers/strategy and cars.
2.Rugby. Parents influence.
3.Ice Hockey. Because it's awesome.

atybimf

Platinum Member
Sep 17, 2005
college football
college basketball
tennis/soccer (toss up...these are my two favorite sports to play though)

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I love hockey first and foremost but even I can't watch an entire game start to finish unless it's "my team". And even then only because I have a strong interest in the well being of 1 player.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
PGA Tour Golf!

Sure... some people think that Golf is boring to watch. I did too, until I tried playing it and found out how HARD these shots are to make! I guess that you can't really appreciate watching someone play a 65 round on TV until you've played a few 110 rounds of your own :)

Also, it's practically impossible to watch all 18 holes at once unless you're watching it on TV. It's one of the few sports that is better NOT to watch in person, especially if you have an HDTV!

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
1. Cycling - I'm a cyclist, I like Paul and Phil, I like the team aspects of cycling.
2. NFL games involving the 49ers (although the fun factor for this has declined the past few years, and I only watch it recorded, not live, so I can FF through commercials and between-play dead time). Don't really know why. Probably became a fan while watching games with my dad as a kid.
3. Maybe Warriors NBA games. Big drop off from 1 and 2 to 3 though.

I like cycling and the World Cup (soccer) even though I don't go in rooting for any particular team. With rare exceptions I don't watch any other sports events unless I actively root for a team. Thus, I don't watch NFL games that don't include the 49ers, don't watch non-Warriors NBA games, etc. My time spent watching sports has dwindled more and more over the years. I keep finding other things I'd rather do.

Edit: to add the "why."

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
1. NFL Football;
2. College Football;
3. NBA or MLB (i.e if there is no football on).

MotionMan

Shlong

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2002
1. NFL / College Football
2. College Basketball (Mainly March Madness)
3. Golf (Majors but I like The Masters the best)