2TB Seagate HDD at Amazon for $90.

Alamat

Apr 30, 2003
Will these last more than a year? One year warranty seems scary with all the stories I've been seeing for Seagate drives...

Jun 24, 2012
Newegg had a deal on the 3TB version built into an external drive yesterday for $120 with free shipping. The user reviews all said it was the same high performance 7200rpm 3TB drive built into a USB3 enclosure and more than a few of them said they bought the external version because it was cheaper than the internal, removing the drive from the enclosure and repurposing it.

That's what I hope to do. I figured $120 for a reasonably high performing 3 TB drive plus a USB3 enclosure is a better deal imo than a $90 2 TB drive.

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
Prices are still too high in comparison to a year and a half ago. You could get a drive with similar specs then for $60-70 on sale. The 3TB drives should be the ones at this price.

At least this is the second fastest HDD in the market. 200MB/s sequential reads and writes.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Will these last more than a year? One year warranty seems scary with all the stories I've been seeing for Seagate drives...

You can say that again.
I rather pay a bit more for a 5yr warranty.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Same here, I've got a Seagate 2TB that dropped out of my mirror array waiting to go back on rma, and I paid about $90 for it two years ago.

I want big slow cheap mass storage that doesn't use a lot of power, and fast SSD where I need fast.

Samus

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Same here, I've got a Seagate 2TB that dropped out of my mirror array waiting to go back on rma, and I paid about $90 for it two years ago.

I want big slow cheap mass storage that doesn't use a lot of power, and fast SSD where I need fast.

I have two of the 3TB drives, one CC43 (3gbps) the other CC45 (6gbps model) both for well over a year and not a single problem. 8500 hours on one, 7800 hours on the other. One handles my media, the other handles my p....torrents.

I haven't had a Seagate flake out on me since the 7200.9

However, my WD Black 2TB is much faster writing. Copying from my primary drive (SSD) to the WD is about 120mb/sec, the Seagate's are about 90mb/sec. They are all full and all pretty fragmented, but the WD seems to compensate for that better.

alyarb

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2009
consumer drives in general appall me. a customer just had a 2tb external seagate fail on them yesterday after not even a year. it staggers me how expensive it is to get a large, quality drive these days. and when it's your data, and not just your money at risk, it really can mess with your head to read all those horrible reviews heh. i'd rather have a single 2TB Black than barracudas in RAID1.

Constellation and RE are a different matter, but holy cow are they expensive. We have 48 3TB Constellations and only one has failed, going on 4 months now. looking forward to some first hand opinions on the 4TB WD RE.

Last edited:

Mongoloid

Jan 12, 2007
You can say that again.
I rather pay a bit more for a 5yr warranty.

1 year... 5 year... doesn't really matter. I had 4 of 4 seagate 1 tb drives fail. The warranty replacements failed. The replacements of the warranty replacements failed. In the end, you don't even want the warranty replacement. I will never buy a Seagate drive again.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I need one of these for my games.

All you guys drooling over the 3TB, keep in mind you cant install an OS to it without all kinds of special work, and sometimes even getting it to recognize the full amount is a hassle.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
We have a 7200.9, if thats the 750 GB drives with the firmware bug. It was some fuss getting Seagate to admit it, but not horrible, like six emails with more details and requests to higher ups etc, then Seagate took care of it and recovered the data free and fixed the drive.

I am pretty happy with using raid mirror pairs of the 2TB, and the odd thing is the drive that dropped from the array could still be read, but had some odd ID issue and failed seatools diagnostic as well as the raid array refusing to use it.

Nobody normal can afford non consumer rated drives, but a one year warranty doesn't strike me as the manufacturer having much confidence in the drive.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
1 year... 5 year... doesn't really matter. I had 4 of 4 seagate 1 tb drives fail. The warranty replacements failed. The replacements of the warranty replacements failed. In the end, you don't even want the warranty replacement. I will never buy a Seagate drive again.

Usually, when companies stand behind their product with a 5 year warranty, then they use better parts.
Sure, there are exceptions, but it seems that nobody can escape that if you purchase a HD these days, you are pretty much forced to buy two of them to have backups.

I also had back-2-back faulty RMAs from seagate.

Samus

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001

Mongoloid. Clearly something wrong with your system.

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001

You must be living next to a gigantic magnet...

Greg04

Golden Member
Jun 11, 2004
Mongoloid. Clearly something wrong with your system.

that's a bit insensitive...I think they prefer re-

Anyhow, anyone over the age of 10 has seen the I bought 465 x-devices, all failed, only the y device works. And yes, his system is fubar.

djnsmith7

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2004
3 TB drives shouldn't be over $100. I'll consider it a deal when they get back to where they should be.

mrrman

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2004
seems like $90 is a standard price for these drives not on sale...Frys has these at $89, not a deal IMO

Pariah

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2000
Usually, when companies stand behind their product with a 5 year warranty, then they use better parts.

Total myth. Quality of the parts has nothing to do with the length of warranties for consumer hard drives. A few years back when there were a lot more manufacturers and everyone was moving their warranties around from 1 to 3 to 5 years and back again, it had nothing to do with how the drives were being made. It's simply a marketing thing to make consumers think what you are claiming and attempt to gain a competitive edge. Shorter warranties don't mean worse quality parts, the hard drive business is a very low margin market, so cost savings like shorter warranties have become common place now that most of the competition has gone out of business or been bought out.

Any warranty longer than 3 years should not be a deciding factor. If you're using a drive longer than 3 years, you're doing it wrong and just asking for trouble.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Prices are still too high in comparison to a year and a half ago. You could get a drive with similar specs then for $60-70 on sale. The 3TB drives should be the ones at this price.

Wish in one hand...

Good deal OP. My next HDD purchase will be a couple of 3TB drives.