2nd Stimulus Bipartisan Bill Introduced

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
My general expectation here is that the House passes something slightly under 2T for political cover. Given the shrinkage in interest from the Trump/GOP in more stimulus I don't think it functionally matters much.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
My general expectation here is that the House passes something slightly under 2T for political cover. Given the shrinkage in interest from the Trump/GOP in more stimulus I don't think it functionally matters much.

McConnell said he'd pass anything Trump approves. Trump quit talking some while back, says he's taking the high road in giving the public the high hard one. He might actually win re-election, because reasons. Go figure.

Oh, and Vlad loves Donnie.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
McConnell said he'd pass anything Trump approves. Trump quit talking some while back, says he's taking the high road in giving the public the high hard one. He might actually win re-election, because reasons. Go figure.

Oh, and Vlad loves Donnie.

Trump does not, for whatever reason, comprehend that doing something popular that plays to his strength on the economy (as the public generally sees it) would boost his chances. He might win re-election but nobody outside his campaign is arguing he's favored at this point.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I think the op wants his check. But what the op doesn't understand are the republicans who are hell bent on NOT allowing one further direct payment to those damn lazy American citizens. Tax breaks for the wealthy, fine. Financial perks for the politicians, woot! Public servants like Rand Paul and Chuck Grassley becoming millionaires off the taxpayer, business as usual. But giving another dime to the American people? HELL, NO WAY.

Bernie Sanders summed this up perfectly in an interview a few weeks ago. Bernie stated and correctly stated that any stimulus package from the democrats was DOA for republicans. THAT, Bernie stated, THAT was the holdup. Not a lack of compromise, not the dollar amount, not the details with the package... no, the problem is that too many republicans absolutely refuse to hand over one red dime to further help American workers and American hardship. So, when the op claims its all Nancy's fault, just ask Bernie Sanders about that. Better yet, ask old Mitch McConnell why he can not get the votes in the senate to pass ANYTHING.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I'll say it again.

$10,000 to every American adult, no means testing.

Costs $1.8T, less than 1/3 of what's already been spent, and about the same cost of the current "bipartisan" compromise.

Won't happen, because the majority of the beneficiaries would be regular Americans.

Nov 29, 2006
Wasn't there another dumb ass Trumper thread recently about his amazing stimulus money Trump gave him, when the Dems are the ones who want to give more?

Some dumb gaslite MFers the conservatives are.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Wasn't there another dumb ass Trumper thread recently about his amazing stimulus money Trump gave him, when the Dems are the ones who want to give more?

Some dumb gaslite MFers the conservatives are.

They are really dumb. I mean there are dumb mofo's on both sides, but it's like the base of the Trumper party. I need to cut my time on Facebook because the amount of dumb on the right is just really eating away at me. Never has so much stupidity been so in my face before.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
yeah, I don't think he's trolling. he really seems to be the most gaslit motherfucker around here. He literally seems to believe that plain facts are not plain facts.
I've been saying this forever. I don't think he's a troll or a liar. I think he legitimately believes all this shit and that he's smarter than everyone else. His psychological defense of his own ego won't allow him to see it any other way.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'll say it again.

$10,000 to every American adult, no means testing.

Costs $1.8T, less than 1/3 of what's already been spent, and about the same cost of the current "bipartisan" compromise.

Won't happen, because the majority of the beneficiaries would be regular Americans.

yeah, we can't do that. because 95% of that really belongs to the more deserved handful of independently, inherited wealthy and some big ass corporations that aren't going to use that money for wage protection and stipends while their employees need to alter shifts. Nah, that's where the money belongs!

Stryke1983

Jan 1, 2016
Nancy Pelosi bent thy knee finally to the American people pressuring them to actually pass something instead of playing political games with Americans that are getting evicted by the millions.

Instead of passing the stimulus to help out Americans, Pelosi wanted to hang American lives over the coal fires to try and pressure Republicans to pass a bloated trap of 3T of extra goodies for her establishment. How nice.

Anyhow, she finally got enough pressure internally from her own party to make her realize how moronic that was.

This is at least the third time I've come across you making false statements about the stimulus package negotiations. It's been pointed out multiple times that the Democrats repeatedly offered to compromise to a greater extent than the Republicans did, despite the fact that their plan had more support, was better planned and was presented several months earlier. The Democrats offered to meet Republicans in the middle. The Republicans not only refused to compromise to the same extent, but they actually back tracked and offered even less than they did initially.

It's amazing that you keep repeating this nonsense even though you get shown up every time. Republicans not only couldn't be bothered to plan anything until the last minute, but they were so incompetent that they couldn't actually put together a plan at all. People talk about mistaking incompetence for malice, but Republicans somehow manage to be both. All while pointing the finger at every one else around them.

Grow a backbone and at least admit that you were wrong rather than doubling and tripling down on your nonsense. You look almost as pathetic as Trump by refusing to admit silly mistakes.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This is at least the third time I've come across you making false statements about the stimulus package negotiations. It's been pointed out multiple times that the Democrats repeatedly offered to compromise to a greater extent than the Republicans did, despite the fact that their plan had more support, was better planned and was presented several months earlier. The Democrats offered to meet Republicans in the middle. The Republicans not only refused to compromise to the same extent, but they actually back tracked and offered even less than they did initially.

It's amazing that you keep repeating this nonsense even though you get shown up every time. Republicans not only couldn't be bothered to plan anything until the last minute, but they were so incompetent that they couldn't actually put together a plan at all. People talk about mistaking incompetence for malice, but Republicans somehow manage to be both. All while pointing the finger at every one else around them.

Grow a backbone and at least admit that you were wrong rather than doubling and tripling down on your nonsense. You look almost as pathetic as Trump by refusing to admit silly mistakes.

lol. you're never going to penetrate that 6" skull that is, when these posts are made, also bathed in alcohol. It's a wall of "I hate reading!" and "I hate thinking!" and "TV and the internet words make me mad!" and "Women also graaaah, MAD!" rage fest whenever that guy posts.

No one can win against that sort of hilarious and sad anger.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015

This, all day long.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
The House passed their bill in May-GOP Senate didn't even start to act on the issue until a day or two before the previous
That he convinced an incumbent president up for re-election trailing in the polls with dogshit favorables to not spend money that isn't his to prop up his own chances might be the most amazing act of sabotage I've ever witnessed.

Absolute 100% truth.

From a purely strategic standpoint, it is against the Democratic incumbent's interests to promote stimulus before the election. The worse the economy tanks the worse the GOP President looks. If the situation was reversed you can be sure the GOP would drag their feet every step of the way. But instead the Dems took the lead in designing and pushing through the first stimulus bill (Donnie jumped on when he saw two things (1) he would take credit for the handout checks to most Americans and (2) the huge amount of $$ left to 100% discretion of the Treasury to disburse was just too much temptation to a natural grifter). The Dems also took the lead on the second stimulus bill, passing it in the House back in May. The GOP controlled Senate did nothing.

The Dems should running a brief ad in every state saying they passed their bill on May xx, 2020 and the GOP controlled Senate did nothing, while the GOP President likewise did nothing. The Dems should strongly rebut the GOP effort to blame the failure to have a second stimulus on them, and should reject every effort to negotiate against themselves in the hopes of getting a bill Donnie likes.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Even Trumpelstiltskin admitted that the economy does better under the D's.
giphy.gif

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I mean this is one of the few times Trump's political instincts are correct but he keeps sending Mark Meadows to do the negotiating and wonders why nothing happens.

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 9.43.03 AM.png

• Wow

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
That he convinced an incumbent president up for re-election trailing in the polls with dogshit favorables to not spend money that isn't his to prop up his own chances might be the most amazing act of sabotage I've ever witnessed.
I've been thinking about this, and it is not just the President that is against another stimulus, it is the GOP in general. Why is that? As Thump pointed out it seems to be in the GOPs interests to pass a stimulus bill in an election year where they are facing the real possibility of losing the Senate. I have an idea.

The GOP knows that any bill they pass would have to give that vast majority of the money to their extremely wealthy donors. Those donors have come to expect that any time the government opens the vault that they get free reign on looting it. But doing that right now would be noticed, the Democrats and the media are already critical of how the last stimulus money was spent. Since passing a bill would come with that sort of expectation of greasing of palms they have calculated that it is in their interest to just not do one at all.

Basically, the GOP can no longer get anything done without massive amounts of corruption. They are already being hammered on how much corruption is in this Administration. So it is better to do nothing at all.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I've been thinking about this, and it is not just the President that is against another stimulus, it is the GOP in general. Why is that? As Thump pointed out it seems to be in the GOPs interests to pass a stimulus bill in an election year where they are facing the real possibility of losing the Senate. I have an idea.

The GOP knows that any bill they pass would have to give that vast majority of the money to their extremely wealthy donors. Those donors have come to expect that any time the government opens the vault that they get free reign on looting it. But doing that right now would be noticed, the Democrats and the media are already critical of how the last stimulus money was spent. Since passing a bill would come with that sort of expectation of greasing of palms they have calculated that it is in their interest to just not do one at all.

Basically, the GOP can no longer get anything done without massive amounts of corruption. They are already being hammered on how much corruption is in this Administration. So it is better to do nothing at all.

Republicans in the senate could not agree to put themselves out if they were on fire right now. Any bill that moves will be with a minority of them and a lot of D votes. Ultimately it is right that Mitch will pass whatever Trump tells him to at this point but Trump isn't giving much direction while Meadows sabotages the negotiations with the Dems.

Feb 4, 2009
I think the op wants his check. But what the op doesn't understand are the republicans who are hell bent on NOT allowing one further direct payment to those damn lazy American citizens. Tax breaks for the wealthy, fine. Financial perks for the politicians, woot! Public servants like Rand Paul and Chuck Grassley becoming millionaires off the taxpayer, business as usual. But giving another dime to the American people? HELL, NO WAY.

Bernie Sanders summed this up perfectly in an interview a few weeks ago. Bernie stated and correctly stated that any stimulus package from the democrats was DOA for republicans. THAT, Bernie stated, THAT was the holdup. Not a lack of compromise, not the dollar amount, not the details with the package... no, the problem is that too many republicans absolutely refuse to hand over one red dime to further help American workers and American hardship. So, when the op claims its all Nancy's fault, just ask Bernie Sanders about that. Better yet, ask old Mitch McConnell why he can not get the votes in the senate to pass ANYTHING.

Yeah this is really easy to understand.
House sends Senate at least one relief bill and possibly more.
Senate does nothing, not even a vote.
If there is something wrong with the bill put it to a vote. Assuming enough find a problem with the bill they will vote against it and ideally those deficiencies will be addressed or modified.
This isn’t rocket science guys, put stuff up for a vote if it is good enough it will pass if it isn’t it will not pass.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

I think it’s pretty well established that the GOP is anti American. Their policies are pretty much designed to ensure America is a shit hole country.

Can anyone name a single republican policy from the last 12 years that improved America or a majority of Americans lives? I honestly can’t think of a single one.

Tax cuts and military spending is about all they ever offer up and even that is a really bad combo.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I think it’s pretty well established that the GOP is anti American. Their policies are pretty much designed to ensure America is a shit hole country.

Can anyone name a single republican policy from the last 12 years that improved America or a majority of Americans lives? I honestly can’t think of a single one.

Tax cuts and military spending is about all they ever offer up and even that is a really bad combo.
I don't know if they are anti-American. They are just only pro rich American. They are the party of the 1%, and that is who they represent.

Nov 8, 2012
I don't know if they are anti-American. They are just only pro rich American. They are the party of the 1%, and that is who they represent.

If you're going to make such asinine statements then please explain to me....

#1 - WHY do the most richest americans live in the most liberal states

#2 - WHY do the most poor... AND homeless americans live in the most liberal states.

Go on, do tell.

Feb 4, 2009
If you're going to make such asinine statements then please explain to me....

#1 - WHY do the most richest americans live in the most liberal states

#2 - WHY do the most poor... AND homeless americans live in the most liberal states.

Go on, do tell.

Jobs & Money = greater population density
Why would a homeless guy from Alabama travel to Flint Michigan? I can understand why he’d travel to Miami or Nashville but again those are densely populated hubs.

Let’s talk about Point #2 as percentage of population. I don’t know for a fact but I am confident Blue States will bury Red States on regarding what % live at or below poverty line.