2nd Speeding Ticket in 3 WEEKS!!! (3rd in 6 months!!!)

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
NOOOOOooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

<sigh> I thought I'd get to work early today, around 8am instead of 9am because I had a LOT of work to do. I have a grueling 30 minute commute, but so far its been cake and I'm just moseying along. I'm about half a mile away from work when I start going through a school zone (HUGE FLASHING YELLOW LIGHTS--can't miss 'em!) No problem, I think to myself, just slooowww down. These lights go off at 8:30 so I usually don't see them on. But I just got caught for doing 55 in a 45 three weeks ago, and I don't wanna risk anything. So I'm doing about 35mph (flowin' with traffic) when I start rounding the bend where there's this God awful hidden traffic light. Its so dangerous approaching this light that they put another signal around the curve so people coming around the bend know whether it is green or yellow or red. I'm cautious going around the bend, but then I see good ol' green so I accelerate to 40mph in order to make the light. Besides, the school is behind me now.

And then, as I pass through the light, I hear the distinct whine of my radar detector picking up laser. Oh crap, no problem, this guy just has his gun on constant so I can slow down, right? I can't even see his car yet. Then it stops, so I figured I'm in the clear, right?? But wait...what's this???? ANOTHER set of flashing lights??? Yes, that's right, the middle school is right next door to the high school...but high school starts at 7:20am--so everyone's already in school. It can't POSSIBLY be still considered a school zone...is it? IS IT???? OF COURSE IT IS!!! ITS AN EXTENDED SCHOOL ZONE THAT COVERS BOTH SCHOOLS (approx. half a mile!) In the split second that I realize my mistake, I realize I'm still doing around 40ish (damn turbo) and then I see the cop pull out from the high school parking lot.

I don't even bother arguing. School zones are not to be messed with. So I got caught for doing 42mph in a 25mph school zone. An offense worth 4 points in most states, but here its still only worth 3. Of course, any school zone violation means don't even BOTHER getting a lawyer to reduce it...judge won't have it. Luckily the cop showed me a little sympathy and only put me down for 39mph in the zone, and also offered me the option of taking a defensive driving class to lower my points.

calpha

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2001
I did the defensive driving class a few years ago.

You should slow down after you take that class, or you lose the points that you got off your record by taking it (at least in my state).

Secondly, my uncle's a cop. Except for Work Zones, and School Zones and Residential , he says 10MPH over is what he travels where he goes (bs--he flies) but the point is, that 9MPH over does not even go on your insurance pionts (does on your driving points). Only if the cop's an A-Hole will he pull you for 10Mph over anywhere else

Of course there is the Nazi Highway Patrol in S.C. I usually go under the speed limit by 1 in SC. They're a bunch o pricks.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

<< 2nd Speeding Ticket in 3 WEEKS!!! (3rd in 6 months!!!) >>

And have we learned a lesson yet?

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I hate to point out the obvious, but...ummm...slow down and stay away from school zones!!

audiophan

May 2, 2001
thankfully you don't live in michigan. either the insurance costs would have thought you a lesson or you'd be without a lisence!

rutchtkim

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2001
Oh man, I feel for you. I got a ticket worth 4 points while doing 80 in a 55mph zone on the NJ Turnpike. I was in the car only lane and the cop was on the truck only lane. No radar was used, since my radar detector did not go off, damn cop paced me for a couple of miles until there was an opening to get into the car only lane. Didn't even see him. Then he pulled me over. Worse feeling ever!!!! Goodluck

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
LOL, the same cop caught someone else this morning...and NOW they have one of those radar speed limit signs with 'your speed' posted!!! They must be crackin' down on speeders this week.

Yes, I did the Nelson Muntz laugh when I passed the Soccer Mom in the Odyssey as she was pulled over.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Yeah school zones and anywhere children might be crossing should be considered areas where SAFETY is a MUST. Slow down, it's not worth the extra minute gained by speeding.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Actually, for a typical 5 mile trip in city traffic, you only gain 30 seconds by speeding. This is a well-known statistic to EMTs and ambulance drivers (my boss used to be one.) They teach the drivers that by turning the lights on and speeding, a national study shows that they only gain 30 seconds but they increase their risk factor by a lot.

LostHiWay

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2001
I actually just got out of a speeding ticket I got in a school zone. I got clocked going 41 in a school zone (25mph). The only thing is the day I got pulled over was MLK day and there was no school. They forgot to turn the school zone sign off. I knew it was MLK day and there was no school so I didn't bother slowing down.

I tried to explain this to the cop but he was a complete idiot. The judge saw it my way though.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I bet you get more speeding tickets than before you had a radar detector. Lesson learned? Radar detector + turbo car = tickets ;)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

<< Actually, for a typical 5 mile trip in city traffic, you only gain 30 seconds by speeding. This is a well-known statistic to EMTs and ambulance drivers (my boss used to be one.) They teach the drivers that by turning the lights on and speeding, a national study shows that they only gain 30 seconds but they increase their risk factor by a lot. >>

So, why do you speed? :)

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
35 in a school zone is bad enough, no matter what traffic is like. I speed, but NEVER in school zones. It pisses people who are behind me off, but, thats life.