2nd gen i7 vs 3rd gen i5?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
So there's a lto of laptop deals going around this weekend and I'm looking to compare some processors.

My wife just got a laptop with an i5-3210M 2.5 processor in it. It's 3rd gen CPU with the HD 4000 graphics chip.

I'm wondering how this would compare to a 2nd Gen i7 2670qm CPU with the HD 3000 graphics chip. It's an i7 vs an i5 but it's 2nd gen vs 3rd gen.

Wasn't able to find a direct comparison so just looking for general differences and which would end up being faster.

Thanks.

Oh, neither would be used for much gaming. Mainly internet, video conversion, etc. Might pick up Diablo 3 but that'd be about it.

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
Newer i5 with HD4000 is better. CPU vs CPU maybe a bit slower,but GPU will be much faster.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Ivy Bridge brought huge improvements in performance within the same TDP. I'd definitely take an Ivy over a Sandy in a notebook all else being equal.

That said, make sure you know what you're getting. One might be a dual core with HT and the other might be a quad, I'm not as familiar with the core counts of all of Intel's mobile lineup.

Phil L

Jun 12, 2011
Without knowing the specific laptop models, I would say go for Ivy Bridge. Here is why,

Let's look at the spec,
i7-2670qm: 4(8) cores, 2.2GHz, turbo to 3.1/3.0/2.8 GHz, HD3000, 45w TDP
i5-3210m: 2(4) cores, 2.5GHz, turbo to 3.1 GHz, HD4000, 35w TDP

iGPU wise hands down IB is better, though for any serious gaming it's still lackluster.

Speed-wise for single threaded applications the IB should be slightly faster (5~10% clock to clock I believe?), and uses a bit less power, good news for battery. The only usage case where the i7 SB is better is in heavy multi-threaded applications, since it's a Quad with HT, while the i5 IB is Dual with HT.

The IB laptop should also come with at least 1 if not 2 USB 3.0 ports, while the SB laptop may not have any. Whether this matters to you or not is another story.

Of course, you have to also consider laptop build quality, battery spec, and screen quality on top of keyboard layout/feel. But CPU wise between these two I would say IB is better for your general usage.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Without knowing the specific laptop models, I would say go for Ivy Bridge. Here is why,

Let's look at the spec,
i7-2670qm: 4(8) cores, 2.2GHz, turbo to 3.1/3.0/2.8 GHz, HD3000, 45w TDP
i5-3210m: 2(4) cores, 2.5GHz, turbo to 3.1 GHz, HD4000, 35w TDP

iGPU wise hands down IB is better, though for any serious gaming it's still lackluster.

Speed-wise for single threaded applications the IB should be slightly faster (5~10% clock to clock I believe?), and uses a bit less power, good news for battery. The only usage case where the i7 SB is better is in heavy multi-threaded applications, since it's a Quad with HT, while the i5 IB is Dual with HT.

The IB laptop should also come with at least 1 if not 2 USB 3.0 ports, while the SB laptop may not have any. Whether this matters to you or not is another story.

Of course, you have to also consider laptop build quality, battery spec, and screen quality on top of keyboard layout/feel. But CPU wise between these two I would say IB is better for your general usage.

These are all various models of Lenovo IdeaPads on sale today over at Newegg.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Ivy Bridge brought no improvements in performance within the same TDP. I'd definitely take an Ivy over a Sandy in a notebook all else being equal.

That said, make sure you know what you're getting. One might be a dual core with HT and the other might be a quad, I'm not as familiar with the core counts of all of Intel's mobile lineup.

Fixed

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Apples and oranges, the i7QM will beat the i5M in any cpu intensive multi threaded applications, i.e. Adobe CS, while the i5 will beat the i7 in any graphic intensive scenarios (i.e. games and large resolution 2D output)

It all depends what your usage is.

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
IMO better IGP out-weights the lower CPU performance. i5 IB is plenty enough performance as it is. Sure i7 will beat it but mobile high end QC i7s are ridiculously fast (close to desktop ones due to high Turbo) and are therefore very expensive.

The only situation I would buy and SB i7 is when it would get me discrete GPU which is in higher class than HD4000 in IB i5,all for the similar amount of money. Any other case IB+HD4000 is better option.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004

Fact: Ivy Bridge uses less power doing the same work as Sandy Bridge. This has little to do with IPC improvements and much to do with lower operating voltage and lower leakage due to 22nm 3d transistors.

Example: Ivy Bridge has a 2.1ghz/3.1ghz 35w quad, while Sandy Bridge does not have a 35w quad core at all. Throughout the lineup you'll find that in the same TDP bracket, Ivy Bridge chips will tend to have a slightly higher turbo and more GPU power. Another example: i7 2677m, the fastest 17w Sandy dual core comes in at 1.8ghz/2.9ghz. The 3667U is the top Ivy 17w dual core, and it comes in at 2ghz/3.2ghz while also packing a faster GPU.

So yes, I'd say Ivy Bridge brought performance improvements within the same TDP. TDP aside though, when measured at the wall Ivy chips will draw less power at the same frequency.

Depending on your needs it might be a tough call between a Sandy quad and an Ivy dual, but both have strengths and weaknesses. The Ivy notebook will have better battery life all else being equal, and there are a variety of ways a stronger GPU might be useful to you. The Sandy might make a better workstation due to more raw CPU horsepower.

JonBlack

Apr 11, 2012
Personally, it depends on what you need from your mobile CPU. Your essentially comparing a 3rd gen i5 dual core vs 2nd gen i7 quad core, which is not a straight up comparison IMHO. If the onboard GPU graphics is important then the 3rd gen i5 is better. If raw CPU power is more important then the 2nd gen i7 wins. If power consumption is king then the 3rd gen i5 should win.

I was in a similar boat as yourself and decided to pony up the money and get the 3rd gen i7 and get the best of all worlds.

paulcheung

Jun 3, 2012
The i7 quad core more likely come with a dedicated video, Because that is the high end setup chip. so look at the video and other components.
Cheers.