2nd build gone bad...newbie needs help(FIXED!!!)

steptaker

Jan 18, 2012
OK, here's what I've gotten into. Asus P8Z68-VLE, I3 SB, 8GBHyper-X ram, seagate 1TB HDD and 120GB Agility3 SSD. Everything went well until I started loading OS, forgot to unplug HDD. (Intention was to load win7 on SSD and use HDD as storage.) Caught mistake, reloaded OS onto SSD. Changed boot priority in bios. Then intermittently the HDD would vanish from bios and device mgr. Only SSD and Optical drive show in bios. (and in windows) I've tried every sata port, they are working (optical drive shows in all) I'm set in ACHI mode; in advanced bios the SSD and optical drive show up on the give port they are connected to.
When only SSD is connected, windows loads FAST, if the storage drive is connected win7 lags to boot.
When the HDD was being recognized I went back and reformatted in disk mgmt....I've tried so many different things I've lost track. I'm hoping you guys can give me some basic step by step stuff to try...Mfenn? Virtual Larry?? God this is frustrating. It was all smooth sailing with the first build...geezz this sucks. Please let me know if more/different info is needed. I've created a monster.
****Long story short, installed new HD, good to go. Thanks to all who replied!!!!*****
Thanks Guys
Dave

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, I would try a different SATA port, and a different SATA cable, for the HD, just to rule those out.

Unfortunately, if that doesn't fix it, then it could be some sort of platform/mobo incompatibility, or the HD is just on its way out.

steptaker

Jan 18, 2012
Ok...I've tried different ports, different cables. How do I go about diagnosing a conflict? The HDD is (was) brand new. Could the ISRT be in conflict?
Thanks
Dave

steptaker

Jan 18, 2012
IRST uninstalled, SSD running great on 6GB sata port. I'm gonna try borrowing a known good working HDD to test mobo/configuration tommorrow, I just can't fathom that a HD with approx. 2-3 hrs. and next to NO data on it goes bad. But I'm new to this, so what do I know.
Thanks
Dave

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
You should be able to download diagnostic software from the website of the specific manufacturer of your hard drive to test it for faults.

It is very possible to buy a new hard drive and get a bad one. It is also possible it could have been damaged in shipment if you bought it online. I actually stopped buying OEM hard drives from Newegg back in 2010 because (at least at that time) their packaging of drives was so poor that every other one I ordered end up being nonfunctional upon receipt.

steptaker

Jan 18, 2012
I've downloaded seagate's diagnostic software, problem is I have to be able to see the HDD to use it. I thought I was in luck when seagate was able to read a s/n from the drive....then it vanished again. It's gotta be something I dicked up in bios and/or windows....

oynaz

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
Download Ultimate Boot CD or Hirens Tools and run the Seagate Diagnostics from there instead. That way, a possible Windows FUBAR can be ruled out or in.

steptaker

Jan 18, 2012
Update...at post I get 2 series of 2 beeps. Then this.
Detected ATA/ATAPI DEVICES....
SATA6G_1 OCZ-AGILITY3
SATA3G_1 ST31000524AS
SATA3G_4 CDDVDN SH-222AL
SATA PORT 3: ST31000524AS
S.M.A.R.T. STATUS BAD, BACKUP AND REPLACE
PRESS F1 TO RUN SETUP
So is the mobo recognizing a bad seagate HD during post?

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
....So is the mobo recognizing a bad seagate HD during post?

Run another HDD test utility to confirm, but check the web: Lot's of reports on problems with this particular Seagate HDD, including DOA and failing soon after install.