2cpu updgrade choices

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
Let me start this off by saying this 'upgrade' is pointless. I want a 4GHz OC, and I can't quite get my setup stable at anything over 3.66GHz. I've tried about everything short of water cooling. So with Xmas coming up, the g/f asked what I wanted for my PC, and I came up kind of blank. So a 4GHz OC is my best answer. My question is this, will a e7600 hit 4+GHz with ease, and will the multi on the e8400 hold me back. I don't think my RAM will do much over 410MHz, at least without too much juice, and bad timings.

Budget:
$175 or less as I don't want to burden the GF who is buying this for me for Xmas.

Usage:
Minor Gaming (but with new games)
Extremely little video editing
Office
Internet

(holy smokes I'm becoming an 'average user.')

Cliff Notes:
Any difference between a e7600 OCed to 4GHz and an e8400 OCed to roughly 3.8GHz?

JFAMD

May 16, 2009
Based on your usage I would recommend neither. I seriously doubt that you would see any difference in a few hundred megahertz.

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
I guess I'll go with the cheaper one. I know it's silly, and I will most likely end up with a new system (i5) in the next year.

edit: perhaps if the upgraditis is bad enough I could go crossfire for even less money. I still have a couple of weeks to decide.

Last edited: