290X Vs 780 Ti Under Water Performance?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

reedy777

Jan 31, 2013
Despite all that, an aftermarket/water cooled 290X card will clearly be more bang for the buck. While I don't think a 290X card under water will match a 780ti under water (with the above scaling in mind), that's perfectly fine because the card is significantly cheaper.

Heck, if an watercooled non ref 290X costs 560-570$ (excluding the loop) and can meet 90% of the 780ti potential and without the variance/noise of the reference cooler? The card would be great based on that alone. Because a 780ti costs way more money. The 780ti will be faster, but it wont' be 150$ faster.

the conclusion I came to was the 780ti was the fastest single card solution but when in sli it losses ground and falls behind a properly cooled 290x crossfire setup. I don't know if Nvidia can make that up through drivers. but I have now got the 290x's they both manage 1150 core with a 50mv voltage increase I'm hoping to push them to 1200 once under water but from my experience these cards just scale exceptionally well my previous setup was 3 way sli 680's @1160 water blocks for all 3 would have cost me the same as the upgrade to wc 290x's and they struggled to drive my new 1440p monitor the way I wanted them to. as for the 780 ti sli it doesn't look like it would match the performance without putting half my money in the NVidia fanboy money pit which just takes and gives you nothing back. and even then it should be close

point being 780ti in sli oced ~ same or slower than 290x xf WC at ~ the same price. that doesn't include CPU block, pump, reservoir, etc although if you went with the 290's it just about would.
and I wanted to go water cooling because its just that much cooler, bad pun and all.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I got 1225/1650 on air with one of my Sapphire Tri-X. Once my w/c pump arrives I may be able to push it further with my water blocks in CF :)

Edit: Though this is an R9 290, which is basically a die cut 290X.

Last edited: