2880x1620 Laptop with External 1920x1080 Monitors

joshw1n5

Dec 20, 2014
I probably should have done more research first but based on the reviews I read and the basic research I did, I didn't think I would have so much trouble with a new MSI GS60 Ghost Pro w/ 3k native resolution.

The laptop itself is great and I am even fine with having to run 125-150% magnification at native resolutions. I'm one of the millions that still play WoW and while it looks pretty great visually, text in chat or nameplates can be eye straining. WoW performance isn't a game changer for me but mismatching resolutions and global magnification seems to be making this laptop practically unusable for me.

I have two external monitors, both Dell U2312HM and when I am running 2880x1620 on the laptop at 150% magnification and I plug in the external monitors, they *also* are magnified 150% but at their native 1920x1080 resolution. The result is obviously monstrous icons, text, etc. On the other hand, if I turn the GS60 down to 1920x1080 and 100% magnification the external monitors (obviously) return to normal but the GS60 display becomes slightly blurry.

Since the laptop is an optimus configuration, I've tried tweaking Intel settings to no avail as well as forced the Nividia 970m as the global default for display, but also was unable to find any way to have the native laptop display working at one set of resolution/magnification while the external monitors used another set.

TL:DR - am I missing something, or is there no way to make 1920x1080 monitors play nice with a laptop that has a higher native resolution? I don't really want to mess with display resolution settings depending on whether I am working/gaming on the laptop (changing it to 2880x1620) vs when I am working with the external monitors (changing to 1920x1080 and ignoring the laptop display). Also, I don't want to just go out and buy 3-4k resolution monitors as a 'fix'.

Thanks in advance for any insight.