280x issues

Gtokie

Sep 15, 2014
Just built my computer last night. I don't have specifics right now because I am at work. But I wasn't able to install any drivers from disk or website because of some
Sort of detection software not getting loaded. Also noticed my gfx is branded as a hd 79xx. Is this normal?

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
Just built my computer last night. I don't have specifics right now because I am at work. But I wasn't able to install any drivers from disk or website because of some
Sort of detection software not getting loaded. Also noticed my gfx is branded as a hd 79xx. Is this normal?

The 280x is the same as the 7970

Gtokie

Sep 15, 2014
I've been using it since about 7pm last night. Everything seems to work fine but I feel like I need to get catalyst and some drivers installed for optimum performance but it fails to load some detection software and basically aborts the install. Same thing happens on disk as well as off the website. Sorry I don't have more specific details at the moment.

I believe it was failed to load detection driver. And this was on a freshly built system

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Maybe try uninstalling express, where all the AMD software is removed, then reboot, and try to install?

Gtokie

Sep 15, 2014
I did something to that effect but I didn't restart. I'll give it a shot tonight. I've never had these issues installing catalyst

But I also did an install on a brand new system with nothing but windows installed. So I don't know that it will work

CRA5HMAN

Oct 23, 2013
I seem to remember my Asus Direct 2u top 280x having a switch on it that switched the bios( I think). It was recognized as a 9870 when I first installed it. I moved the switch and it was then recognized as a 280X. Does your 280X have a switch visible? I no longer have that card and can't remember exactly where the switch was, but was accessible while the card was installed. As for the driver issues, I think King Fatty has the best solution.

Gtokie

Sep 15, 2014
I don't remember seeing a switch. It's an xfx double dissipation. For some reason catalyst was able to install and everything now I'm getting a lot of screen flicker and my benchmarks aren't as good. Would this be related to windows 8.1?

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
My 280x was showing as a 7970 when I first installed it. A driver update was all I need to resolve it. But as a 280x is just a slightly tweaked 7970 that gets a few extra frames I'm not surprised.

Gtokie

Sep 15, 2014
With no drivers it shows as a 7970. With drivers it shows
As a r9 200 series and my
Monitor flickers.

Gtokie

Sep 15, 2014
I've got an i2269vw aoc monitor. I saw something on and notes about aoc monitors flickering and updating firmware which I've updated the drivers to be current

Gtokie

Sep 15, 2014
It might just be the new drivers. I've seen varying posts about poor performance or flickering with 14.9.

XFXSupport

Aug 1, 2014
Hey Gtokie. What are the first 2 digits of the serial #? Have you opened a ticket at xfxsupport.com to see if there are any known issues?

The older drivers will detect the R9 280s as 7900 series, you need 14.4 or the new 14.9 to read it as R9 200.

There was a 2d flickering issue with a batch of 280's, but it varies by serial #.

Gtokie

Sep 15, 2014
Hey xfx support. I haven't opened any tickets I thought this might be catalyst related. I'm noticing most of my flickering outside of games but I havnt used it much in game because I've been trying to trouble shoot it. When I get home I'll get the serial number to you.

Gtokie

Sep 15, 2014
I'm curious if I
Might just be better off refunding and purchasing a 970. Seems like better bang for my buck since I've already got an issue

kawi6rr

Oct 17, 2013
I'm curious if I
Might just be better off refunding and purchasing a 970. Seems like better bang for my buck since I've already got an issue

I purchases the ASUS DCII and was getting artifacts and flickering as well. Not sure if this is what you're getting but my issue was from the card being overclocked from the factory. I used MSI Afterburner and decreased the clocks little by little until all the screen issues went away. My card runs great now and I can still play/use everything with the same settings. Before you return it you might want to look into this.

Gtokie

Sep 15, 2014
I've noticed my card Idles at 300 MHz but it seems like the problem is from it not speeding up like its supposed to like when I drag my window or something and it speeds up. I wonder if I can manually change that

XFXSupport

Aug 1, 2014
Get me that serial # and ill see if there is a flickering issue with it. PM me here and ill send the tutorial. I really recommend making a ticket at xfxsupport.com though.

Gtokie

Sep 15, 2014
Well I've encountered another problem. The flickering is gone. But it seems anytime
I put a load on my computer it will make my screen go black and it stays that way. I would guess it had something to do with the bios flash

Update: not sure if it means anything but I used integrated to try fur mark and occt. Even though the results were pathetic it worked but anytime I try it with settings up midway on occt it goes straight to black screen.

Last edited:

Gtokie

Sep 15, 2014
What would it mean if I run a bench program like occt with low settings and the graphics just sits still
On the screen for about 30 seconds but it
Acts like everything is good then my monitor goes black