28 days later or 28 weeks later?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
28 Days Later is an awesome film. It's in my top 10 list of Zombie movies.
28 Weeks Later could have and should have been decent, but they made it too stupid. It had some cool scenes and effects, but the movie as a whole sucked ass.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I loved Days, I have not seen Weeks yet, but this thread has reminded me that I need to. I thank you for that. :beer:

Sqube

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
28 Days Later because it was a vastly superior movie.

28 Weeks Later = Dawn of the Dead with a different name. That's how I felt after walking out, anyway.

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
The characters in 28 weeks later were frustratingly stupid, and the plot unbelievable. 28 Days Later was vastly superior.

**POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW**

- The kids would never have made it over the bridge, the area was LOCKED DOWN.
- The zombie dad should never have made it into the containment area. It was LOCKED DOWN. Seriously, how does a room full of people who don't want to be there not try a huge set of double doors that were apparently unlocked? And how does the emergency containment plan not account for said doors?
- The infected mom wouldn't have been left without a guard. Because, uh, she was INFECTED.
- The lockdown area where the mom was would never have had the same clearance requirements that some other building had, so the dad never would've made it down there anyway.

I know stupid characters are a staple of zombie movies and horror movies in general, but it's one I've never really appreciated. And the characters in this one were completely over-the-top retarded.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
28 Weeks Later > 28 Days Later.

I almost fell asleep during Days; it was so fucking boring. The fact that you guys even can call it an action movie makes me laugh. Also, Days was a zombie survival movie, Weeks was a zombie horror movie.

Oh and Weeks soundtrack > Days soundtrack by far. Best song is definitely Leaving England from the 28 Weeks Soundtrack.

EDIT:

Also, why the hell does this topic come up every 28 days anyway? :Q

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
Originally posted by: paulxcook
The characters in 28 weeks later were frustratingly stupid, and the plot unbelievable. 28 Days Later was vastly superior.

**POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW**

- The kids would never have made it over the bridge, the area was LOCKED DOWN.
- The zombie dad should never have made it into the containment area. It was LOCKED DOWN. Seriously, how does a room full of people who don't want to be there not try a huge set of double doors that were apparently unlocked? And how does the emergency containment plan not account for said doors?
- The infected mom wouldn't have been left without a guard. Because, uh, she was INFECTED.
- The lockdown area where the mom was would never have had the same clearance requirements that some other building had, so the dad never would've made it down there anyway.

I know stupid characters are a staple of zombie movies and horror movies in general, but it's one I've never really appreciated. And the characters in this one were completely over-the-top retarded.

Yea the kids crossing the bridge unchallenged got a WTF? out of me also.

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: legoman666

Yea the kids crossing the bridge unchallenged got a WTF? out of me also.

Seriously. I haven't been so frustrated by a movie since Signs.

Rill22

Oct 5, 2005
How is this even a question? Days was far superior.

For the sequel they had to bring in the Americans to save the day. Lame.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
28 Days Later = characters were pretty smart and had common sense for the most part. Good story.

28 Weeks Later = BS story (yea like kids can sneak past military checkpoints with ease? Oh the don't even get me started with father being able to walk past all military personnel to see his wife) Dumbass characters (I wanted the kids to die).

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
28 days later is a great small budget type art film. But past the halfway point, it is horrible. I can barely stand to watch it after they reach the blockade.

28 weeks later is less believable in how incredibly inept the the military is. But it's an entertaining blockbuster action film all the way through.

hellokeith

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2004
Originally posted by: BudAshes
I liked them both, but the original is the best.

Agreed.

28 Weeks Later, for a zombie movie, had just a few too many unbelieveable plot devices to be involving. It had some good pulse-raising scenes and a reasonable theme, but the first movie was better.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Dacalo
28 Weeks Later = BS story (yea like kids can sneak past military checkpoints with ease? Oh the don't even get me started with father being able to walk past all military personnel to see his wife) Dumbass characters (I wanted the kids to die).

:p answer:
Originally posted by: Rill22
. . . For the sequel they had to bring in the Americans to save the day. Lame.

There was some speculation as to whether the filmmaker intended to have parallels with the iRaqi invasion.

28 Days Later is an excellent movie. I wish I saw it at the theatre, but the DVD had enjoyable bonuses, including 3 alternate endings, all good!

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
Days was a better movie, but Weeks was more intense and had a hotter babe. :) They're really very different movies.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
I liked 28 days much better because it actually felt realistic and believable. It's a breath of fresh air compared to most zombie movies which are so over the top that it kills the suspension of disbelief for me.

28 weeks was basically your regular run of the mill zombie action movie.