Question 27" 1440P vs 27" 4K scaled DPI - Mainly Productivity w/ Light Gaming

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
I have the luxury of messing around with my asymetric dual monitors at work. One is a 27" 1920x1080 and the other is a 32" 4K (I don't want to know what they paid for it at the year I know this system was built - YIKES).
If I understand correctly, the main benefit of higher res (aside from screen real estate) is sharper graphics when DPI scaled to the "equivalent" size. Correct?
Edited Title to better reflect the question. I'll be buying a newish video card high low end to midrange.

Last edited:

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
Sorry, that was a quicker than planned post....
A little background. I'm in the market for a new monitor (or 2). I currently have a 24" 1920 x 1080 Dell U2312HM that has served me well. That will be moving along with my current rig to my wife. I am building a new computer and looking to get a new monitor. There are a plethora of options and opinions at an equally widespread number of price points. As mentioned, I use a 32" 3840 x 2160 and a 27" 1920 x 1080 at work. The 32" runs at 150% scaling.

Since its quite strenuous to game at 4K (I won't be buying a video card fast enough and I'm not a heavy gamer) and since I can't read the tiny text at 100% DPI it seems that a 4K monitor doesn't really make sense for me. It seems a 2560 x 1440 monitor would be perfect for me. I know there a lot of opinions (and I'll entertain them of course) but, what I'm looking for is the rationale behind those opinions to make sure I've considered all of the options before settling on the resolution and then a few model numbers to watch for sales.

I realize these two posts were a bit rambly, please feel free to ask any questions. This will be used on a standardish desk 25-30" deep. I hope to run dual monitors at some point.

Edit: I realize monitor size plays a factor in this equation. I think for my desk size and budget that a 27" monitor is my target size which matches up with the 2560 x 1440 monitor. If I change my mind and decide I need 3840 x 2160 than I'd bump up to 32" at least.

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
So, I waffled back and forth for awhile between a 27" 1440p @ 144Hz like the recently released HP x27i (currently on deal at HP.com for $270 w/ code) and a 43" 4K TV as a monitor. The LG UN7300 is roughly $320 and the premier Sony 43" is $450 and hasn't peeped a sale. So, I was all set to buy the HP when I found the 40" Vizio V-Series 4K for $220 at Sam's Club (It's been similarly priced at Costco, but I don't have a membership).

The main thing is that I decided I didn't need an IPS panel (which is what the UN7300 and x27i are). I use a 27" 1080p and 32" 4K at work and they are both VA panels. The 40" 4K is actually closer to the PPI of a 27" 2K than a 43" 4K would be. I know its just one data point, but a guy using the 40" as his monitor says the viewing angle issue is much better on this TV than a 43" TV he tried previously.

A couple of notes for those following in my footsteps:
1. There was a reddit thread about Vizio messing with the firmware and ruining 4:4:4 mode and then basically saying "Who cares its a TV not a monitor". It PROBABLY has been fixed in the latest firmware but the guy who went rounds with Vizio about it downgraded his firmware (on his own because Vizio says its not possible) to the working version (he loves this TV as a monitor) and didn't want to risk testing it. Be aware if you decide to connect it to the internet a Vizio rolls out firmware updates automatically. Since mine is going to be monitor only, it won't be an issue. But, thought I would throw that out there.

2. The Sam's Club website says this is the H version that supports HDMI 2.1. I don't know for sure since I haven't picked mine up yet, but, even if it does the panel itself is just a 60Hz panel (like most inexpensive 4K TVs) so don't think this will work at a higher refresh rate.

I'm going to swap it in for my old monitor to test it (this is going with my new setup) and I'll post my thoughts.

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
So, got my new TV/Monitor setup. Can't really give you too much impressions since my current rig doesn't support 4K. New vid card should arrive some time next/this week.

Initial impressions:
40" is not too big imo for a desk based monitor. 43" seems to be a hot target due to the "4 21.5 inch monitors at 1080p" description I see often. But, I think I'm going to like this size. 4, 20" monitors at 1080p if you want to fight over it :) I'm already adapting to it. It's a VA panel, not your typical IPS that you would want to have for a larger monitor due to light and color shift at angles. However, sitting dead center I don't see any discernable color or brightness shifting at the edges. My unscientific observations say that at a 30" sitting distance I see no difference. At 24" I can see maybe a hair of darkening on the edges since I'm looking for it and only on a lighter monocolor background like the AT forum. Minimizing windows and looking at my desktop background I can't really notice anything.

I can verify that this TV does have an HDMI 2.1 mode. Unless this panel is capable of 120Hz with a firmware update (which would be a miracle) I'm not sure what use it is. But, it IS there.

Without an appropriate card I can't talk about text in 4K at 100% DPI scaling. This should be comparable in PPI to a 1440p 27" monitor so we will see how text goes. I'll post again with further observations.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm not familiar with that particular panel / TV, but in general, I think that you'll love a 43" 4K UHD TV -as-monitor. Assuming that it does have 4:4:4 Chroma sub-sampling enabled.

I have a couple of rigs with 40" 4K UHD TVs, and I lucked out, they do support 4:4:4 at 4K UHD @ 60Hz.

The idea of a 120Hz 4K UHD panel with HDMI 2.1 tempts me, but I can't really justify replacing these screens just yet. They're in their prime! Probably for another 10 years, at least. :)

They cost me like $200-ish apiece. (Newegg BF special 3 years ago.)

Works great for me!

Edit: Greatest single upgrade that I've done to my PCs, in a LONG time.

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
I have the 40" but I can see 43" being nice too. I'll find out when my card gets here if I'm okay with the PPI level at 100% DPI scaling. I ALMOST went with a 27" IPS 1440P 144Hz monitor. I really wanted to try out 144Hz and HP had x27i on sale but then the sale ran out before I had the funds at the same time that Sams Club matched the Costco price on this Vizio.

I'm already enjoying it and it's currently only working at 1080p because the z77 chipset only has VGA/DVI/HDMI 1.4
Unintentionally, the 40" size means I can fit my existing monitor on here too (the HD 4000 does NOT like me running dual screen but too bad :p)...ooooh, I just remembered my old monitor should be able to do portrait mode. This is fun. Haven't had new hardware to play with since I upgraded to SSDs many moons ago.

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
Ok, got the RX580 up and running after a BIOS update, got the settings in the driver and windows set to full 4:4:4 @ 60hz, so it's time for a 40" Vizio V405-H9 (or 19 depending on your purchase location) highly subjective review!

1. 40" 4K
This size is better than I imagined it would be. As mentioned previously I'm used to using a 32" 4K monitor at work and a 27"1080P. I run the 32" 4K at 150% DPI. Before purchasing this TV I had tested out setting the 32" 4K to 100% DPI (which supposedly is OK for some). Maybe I'm old, but, the PPI and thus standard text was just too small to comfortably read at my normal desk distance. So, I was worried about how this 40" would be. No problems at all! It's fantastic. The PPI is very comparable to a 27" 1440P monitor. Don't get me wrong, the text is smaller than I'm used too...but not a strain at all. Using a power tool call Fancy Zones lets me set up snap areas to quickly arrange windows where I want them. For example, you can setup a 2 x 2 grid of windows super easily. Super productive. If I'm being VERY particular, at 100% DPI and looking closely, I can still see some sub-pixel issues on things such as the quotation marks used in this post. But, I'd have to be looking REALLY hard to even notice it. I DIDN'T notice it until I was checking it out. It's still better than my old 1080P monitor though! And if I just want to do lazy web browsing, quickly changing the DPI scaling to 125% or 150% gives me razor sharp text. If it's worth it to spend $100 more on a 43" IPS version like the LGUN73000 or $225 more for the Sony X800H is for you to decide. This was my compromise for affordability ($220 + tax at Sam's Club) and I think I didn't compromise all that much.

2. VA vs IPS
I mentioned it in point #1 but the Vizio V405-H9 uses a VA panel with a BGR sub-pixel layout. The BGR layout does create a hair of smudging even after Cleartype calibration but we are talking a hair of smudging you have to look for. You also do get stuck with the smaller viewing angles. In this case, I feel the 40" size is actually BETTER than the 43" if you are going with a VA panel. My typical viewing distance is between 24"-30" depending upon my body position. At 24" there is a small amount (say 1-2" on either outer edge) of darkening at the edges. Frankly the kind of thing you only notice on a solid block of color and only then when you move back and forth so you can see the slight shift. Again, the type of thing you would have to look for to notice. Maybe you would notice it more if you were already used to an IPS panel? I can't say as my work monitors are both VA monitors. I can see it being more noticeable at larger sizes. At 30" desk distance light shift is barely perceptible if at all. I definitely notice the difference in black levels on the VA. Quite dark and smooth. I feel that with a TV putting out light levels that are normally more for distance viewing, being able to adequately get dark at lower backlight levels helps reduce eye strain. Again, subjective, but that's my thoughts. Would I use an IPS at 43"? Absolutely! Just commenting on the differences. Given how IPS works it appears BGR layouts aren't a thing as all the rtings.com reviews show RGB for all the TVs with IPS panels. Just something to keep in mind as well.

3. SDR vs HDR
After reading the reviews on rtings.com I was prepared to be underwhelmed by the HDR on this TV/monitor. I didn't buy it for movie viewing so I wasn't overly concerned. I feel that the raw numbers on SDR vs HDR (used for rtings.com comments) don't give the total picture (see what I did there...) on the benefits of HDR or whether it does HDR10 well. The difference between turning HDR10 on and off in the Radeon software is night and day. I was underwhelmed by the black levels in SDR mode compared to my existing Dell 23" monitor. Turning on HDR mode once the RX580 got up and running was a revelation, especially for the black levels! Whether its remapping the brightness levels or the interplay between the Vizio display engine and the HDR signal from the RX580, I don't know. All I do know is that I wouldn't want to turn HDR mode off even when not watching media content. It's that noticeable of a difference especially if you are reducing your backlight levels.

4. Conclusion
I'm quite pleased with my purchase and glad that I decide on this versus the 27" 2K monitor. Since I do more productivity than gaming, it really is a slam dunk! The screen real estate is hard to beat. Until true 120Hz panels start showing up in lower model TVs, if you want to try a TV as monitor for not much money, I'd say the Vizio V405-H9 should be on your shortlist. The LG UN7300 and the SonyX800H are great 43" 4K IPS TVs that would be options too. But, for the price, this Vizio is tough to beat. TCL and Hisense are often the goto for inexpensive TVs for TV viewing. But, in this case, after the research I've done and the in person usage, I'd say the Vizio V405 is the better option than either the TCL or Hisense 43" options. The TCL especially does not get kind reviews when attempted to be used as a monitor. Of course YMMV. I hope these subjective comments can be of use to someone else deciding on their purchase.

Last edited: