2600k back in action, motherboards do make a difference.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Wait, your replacement motherboard was acting bogus, then you got a different one or just changed things back to IDE... what would cause AHCI mode to become unstable? or act up? :hmm:

No. Everything was find on my original ASRock Extreme 4, but it would only fo 4.4, and had problems with F@H SMP units, even at stock !

So, I ordered the P8P67 Deluxe ASUS board as my RMA board, but I couldn't even get it into safe mode in windows after the swap. Then I tried a re-install, blue screen something about IO error, before the actual install even started(was while trying to read from the cdrom). Same with Win7 64 bit, both trying to boot off the 2 year old 1.5 TB sata drive.

So after hours, I went the the bios and saw this AHCI thing. Changed it, rebooted straight into windows. Ran the CD that came with the new motherboard(driver updates), then straight to 4.6, and stable for 1 1/2 days @ 4.6 ghz.

Nov 26, 2005
No. Everything was find on my original ASRock Extreme 4, but it would only fo 4.4, and had problems with F@H SMP units, even at stock !

So, I ordered the P8P67 Deluxe ASUS board as my RMA board, but I couldn't even get it into safe mode in windows after the swap. Then I tried a re-install, blue screen something about IO error, before the actual install even started(was while trying to read from the cdrom). Same with Win7 64 bit, both trying to boot off the 2 year old 1.5 TB sata drive.

So after hours, I went the the bios and saw this AHCI thing. Changed it, rebooted straight into windows. Ran the CD that came with the new motherboard(driver updates), then straight to 4.6, and stable for 1 1/2 days @ 4.6 ghz.

A fresh install of Windows 7 64bit was having trouble installing on the new board??? maybe lack of driver support from the OS??? it usually installs in AHCI mode.. interesting :hmm:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
A fresh install of Windows 7 64bit was having trouble installing on the new board??? maybe lack of driver support from the OS??? it usually installs in AHCI mode.. interesting :hmm:

It couldn;t even finish reading the cdrom to start the install. I should have taken a screen shot, but would have to have been photos. It specifically said something about disk problems, but since the same disk is now running, obviously not that.

NFarnzy

Feb 19, 2006
Ambient temps are in the low 60c range this on my i2600k , Running great for me!