Question 240hz Displayport cable question

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Ok so... For whatever reason, the great 240hz display manufacturers in all their wisdom think its ok to not include a DP cable for a $300-500 gaming monitors. This makes no sense to me and makes me want to drop kick them in the head. Anyways.

Looking online, I figured all DP cables were similarly speced but looking at amazon, the $10 cables seem to actually note that they don't even support 144hz. Is that true? How can a DP cable not do 144/240hz? Anyways, I am looking for the cheapest 240hz DP cable I can find on the internet that is not garbage. Does it matter?

EDIT: NM, I just needed to look a little longer. There are other certified DP 1.2 cables in the $12ish range so I should be good. Isnt a DP cable a DP cable?

Last edited:

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
I looked it up. Its 1.2 I guess. I need to stop looking at amazon. They are retarded in the ways they merge reviews and everything together. I dont get it, some cables say they support 4k but yet cant do 144hz. Anyways, I found most of the $10 cables on amazon and other places are 1.2 spec so all of them "should" do 240hz even though for whatever reason most of them say 144hz max. I dont understand that.

What i dont know is if you actually need a 1.2a(for freesync) to actually support freesync or if this is the controller they are referring to. 1.2a I guess is the freesync spec, but I think I am just going to buy one of the $12 high quality 1.4 DP cables and just be done. I am assuming if its 1.4 it supports all the previous stuff in the earlier cable versions.

Reactions: potato masher