2407WFP subject to false advertising.

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
This might have been brought up but I'd expect more of an outcry from the Anandtech communicty. For those who don't know:

Does the 2407WFP support 1080i through DVI?
* No.
Does the 2407WFP support 1080p through DVI?
* No.

Does the 2407WFP support 1080p through component?
* No.
Does the 2407WFP support 1080i through component?
* Yes.
Does the 2407WFP support 720p through component?
* Yes.

http://tinyurl.com/n5hxk

Am I missing something? What is the point of adding HDCP to a monitor that can't play 1080p? Isn't this extremely deceptive of Dell?

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
I don't know. I'm wondering why Dell would tout HDCP and the break the feature. Even the 2405 could do 1080i over DVI.

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
er, it does support 1080P, hell the 2405 supports it.

LCD's are always progressive, and since the 2405 and 2407 both have a vertical resolution of higher then 1200, then it fully supports 1080P. Next time research things a little.

Also, you do not need HDCP to watch 1080P, now you might need it to watch protected content, but not everything 1080P is protected. If you have a 2405 or a 2407, go download a 1080P movie trailer from Dave's Trailer page and see for yourself.

Rangoric

Apr 5, 2006
Originally posted by: CalvinHobbes
HDCP and HD resolutions are mutually exclusive. You can have one without the other.

Sorry to nitpick, but you really want to say they are independant. Mutually Exclusive means you CAN'T have them at the same time.

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
Ugh, the point is that the transition from 2405 to 2407 has added nothing. HDCP is useless because the 2407 cannot support 1080i/p over DVI. I DON'T MEAN THE RESOLUTION. Its abilities as an LCD TV have been destroyed because of this.

The whole point of including HDCP is useless when the monitor is broken.

Mar 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Ichigo
Ugh, the point is that the transition from 2405 to 2407 has added nothing. HDCP is useless because the 2407 cannot support 1080i/p over DVI. I DON'T MEAN THE RESOLUTION. Its abilities as an LCD TV have been destroyed because of this.

Has anyone actually been able to test the monitor to see if it doesn't accept 1080i/p over DVI? There's absolutely no reason it shouldn't - hell, I can even send a 1080i/p signal over DVI from my HDTV tuner to my 2005FPW...it gets downscaled obviously, but it works...I don't really get the point of this thread...if you don't mean the resolution, and you don't mean the HDCP, what DO you mean? :confused:

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
you can force 1080p and see if it works. DOn't know how its done with Nvidia drivers but you can add them easily with CCC.

Mar 11, 2004
Originally posted by: SynthDude2001

Has anyone actually been able to test the monitor to see if it doesn't accept 1080i/p over DVI? There's absolutely no reason it shouldn't - hell, I can even send a 1080i/p signal over DVI from my HDTV tuner to my 2005FPW...it gets downscaled obviously, but it works...I don't really get the point of this thread...if you don't mean the resolution, and you don't mean the HDCP, what DO you mean? :confused:

I don't think there really has. People hear all kinds of things and then freak out. For some reason the FUD with this monitor is worse than just about any other. I've seen claims that it'll only do 720p over component, that it won't run 1:1 pixel scaling through DVI (supposedly it only does 1:1 scaling over component, s-video, or composite), that it won't do 1080p over DVI (if 1080i is actually the full 1920x1080 and not being run effectively as 540p, then on an LCD does it matter if its interlaced or progressive? can you even tell with your eyes?), among other things.

Every review, including from users, for this monitor has been basically worthless. The only real thing that has been totally confirmed is the banding issue, which has possibly been resolved now with the A02 revision. None of the other things I've read about had any evidence other than possibly some specs listed on a crappy review. At least half the problems I read about I'm fairly convinced are the user.

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005

Please check the link I supplied.

The Dell moderator basically said it does NOT do 1080i/p over DVI. There's also a huge thread that is talking about this issue on widescreengamingforums.com. They've tested it and it does NOT work over DVI.

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000

The Dell moderator basically said it does NOT do 1080i/p over DVI. There's also a huge thread that is talking about this issue on widescreengamingforums.com. They've tested it and it does NOT work over DVI.

then WTF is it doing over DVI????

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000

I checked your link, the Dell forum guy hasnt finished answering the question. Take off the tinfoil hat and wait until he clarifies himself.

Nextman916

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Rage187

I checked your link, the Dell forum guy hasnt finished answering the question. Take off the tinfoil hat and wait until he clarifies himself.

Rage are you trying to help at all? Or just prove the OP wrong?

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Nextman916

I thought the last reply was constructive; in the thread somebody asked the Dell guy to clarify himself whihc hasn't happened yet.

Wouldn't that guy clarifying himself be more useful then coming here out raged at something that has yet to be confirmed?

I just get frustrated with users who won't research this stuff on their own before freakin out and trying to start a riot, sorta like that jackass that came in the Video forums screaming how the 6800GT wouldn't do 1600x1200 or 1920x1200 or whatever it was. He eventually got proved wrong then denied it happened. It was just another case of somebody misreading something and then posting about it.

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005

I thought the last reply was constructive; in the thread somebody asked the Dell guy to clarify himself whihc hasn't happened yet.

Wouldn't that guy clarifying himself be more useful then coming here out raged at something that has yet to be confirmed?

I just get frustrated with users who won't research this stuff on their own before freakin out and trying to start a riot, sorta like that jackass that came in the Video forums screaming how the 6800GT wouldn't do 1600x1200 or 1920x1200 or whatever it was. He eventually got proved wrong then denied it happened. It was just another case of somebody misreading something and then posting about it.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/8831/dell2407bs3zt.jpg

It's not confirmed? What the heck are you talking about?

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/8831/dell2407bs3zt.jpg

It's not confirmed? What the heck are you talking about?

What he's talking about is the fact that it "appears" the Dell moderator is FOS. Does it make sense to you that a digital, progressive panel supports an interlaced resolution (1080i) but not a progressive resolution (1080p) over DVI that is lower than the native panel resolution.

It doesn't make sense to me. Nobody has tried a 1080p WMV HD file played back full screen on their 2407 using DVI? Doubt it, and I doubt "Chris" from the Dell forum knows what he is talking about, but you are ready to call it "confimed":roll:

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
Chris is more than likely Habib, and i agree with rbV5, the 2407 does 1080P over DVI, now it may not be HDCP compliant over DVI but it sure as hell can do 1080P and 1080i.

it's up to you who you believe, I'm done with this thread because I'm not going to sit here and argue over facts.

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
Did I ever say the 2407 can't play 1080p files? No. Video files play just fine over DVI. I'm saying, as the Dell admin did, that something like a HD-DVD player that outputs at 1080p won't work.

Mar 19, 2003
Did I ever say the 2407 can't play 1080p files? No. Video files play just fine over DVI. I'm saying, as the Dell admin did, that something like a HD-DVD player that outputs at 1080p won't work.

I'm not talking about 1080p video files through your normal video card either. My HDTV tuner has a DVI daughtercard, that can feed a 1080i/p signal over DVI directly to my monitor, independently of my video card...which works with no problems (other than the obvious downscaling - but the monitor even identifies the signal as 1920x1080 on the OSD). Unless they specifically removed the 2407's capability to accept DVI signals at that resolution, the only reason I can think of why it wouldn't work with a standalone HDDVD player is HDCP. But you say that the 2407 does have HDCP...

I personally think that the Dell person on the forums doesn't know what they're talking about, OR the monitor doesn't really support HDCP.

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
Hell, I of all people would love a 2407. That is what you have right? They were talking on the WSGF about how it wouldn't support 1080i/p through DVI, and considering the Dell admin confirmed it, I thought they were right. If you actually HAVE the monitor and can confirm that it does work though, that's great.

Mar 19, 2003
Hell, I of all people would love a 2407. That is what you have right? They were talking on the WSGF about how it wouldn't support 1080i/p through DVI, and considering the Dell admin confirmed it, I thought they were right. If you actually HAVE the monitor and can confirm that it does work though, that's great.

No, I said in an earlier post that I have a 2005. :p

My argument is that if even my monitor can accept a 1080i/p signal over DVI (albeit one not protected by HDCP, since my monitor doesn't support it), I see no reason why a higher and newer model wouldn't be able to do the same, especially if it supports HDCP...

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
That's the argument that they're making. The 2405 can deinterlace 1080i signals within the monitor itself. Apparently the 2407 can't, as tested by the people on the dell forums.

redbox

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2005
I am with Rage on this one there is no reason why the 2407 shouldn't be able to play HD content. Most likely the Dell guy doesn't know what he is talking about. Ichigo do you have another source of information or are you going to believe what this dell guys says as gospel?