24 Channel modem worth price?

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I just got an email from my cable provider saying I need to upgrade my modem. I have an early Docsis 3.0 modem which only supports 4x4 channels. I did not know that was a thing until now. I've been looking at new modems, and there are 8x4, 16x4, and one 24x8 channel modem. The 24x8 modem is the Netgear C7000 which is $275 (includes AC1900 wifi) vs $125 for the plain 16x4 Surfboard modem. I have 150 Mbps service, would it be worth getting the C7000 over the cheaper options? Or is that just throwing away money for no perceivable benefit?

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Also I've read that Docsis 3.1 might be coming out soon and may completely obsolete Docsis 3.0 modems. If that is the case would I be better off waiting or getting a cheaper 8x4 or 16x4 modem?

Feb 25, 2011
Channels just determines how fast your downstream speed is. A relatively inexpensive 8x4 modem like the SB6141 should be good for up to 200Mbps downstream and 100Mbps upstream.

Unless you intend to get >200Mbps download speeds before the move to DOCSIS 3.1, there's no benefit to getting a modem with a larger number of channels. Although while I'd expect the DOCSIS 3.1 modems will be better, I can't imagine there won't be at least some level of interoperability. (So, it's not like millions of people will have to run out overnight and buy new modems.)

25Mbps/channel, btw.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I think I may go ahead and buy it anyway. My router is also old, wireless-n from 2009. So might as well spend a bit more to get the some future proof capability now plus with wireless AC capability instead of spending money later to upgrade the router individually.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I think I may go ahead and buy it anyway. My router is also old, wireless-n from 2009. So might as well spend a bit more to get the some future proof capability now plus with wireless AC capability instead of spending money later to upgrade the router individually.

The isp is talking about your modem, not router. They don't habe to be one box.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Also I've read that Docsis 3.1 might be coming out soon and may completely obsolete Docsis 3.0 modems. If that is the case would I be better off waiting or getting a cheaper 8x4 or 16x4 modem?

Yes, you would be better off getting a 16 x 4 Docsis 3.0 modem now and waiting on a Docsis 3.1 modem to spend more money on later, IMO.

The possibility of over a Gbit down (up to 10) and a Gbit up (max) pretty much speaks for itself, again in my opinion.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I just spent $69 through Amazon for the SB6141 (white model). That would be more than enough to handle your 175Mbps speed (and then some). I would not purchase the two devices together. In my experience, well built cable modem seems to last for a long time. Consumer routers do not. Or they'll come out with a new standard that will "encourage" you to upgrade your router to the latest model. Either way, you'll just be replacing the device that you need to and not both. When they do release DOCSIS 3.1 you can just replace the modem and not that whole gateway thing.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i learned the hardway...

Keep your modem separate from the router.
Routers wont last you very long in a house which hammers it with connections (Torrent + P2P)
Real Access Points > Routers Pretending to be AP.

I would keep your modem separate from router, so a motorolla surfboard series is probably a better modem then that netgear.

ARRIS SurfBoard SB6183 is probably my first pick if i had to get another modem.
Big Boxes recommendation on the cheaper surfboard is solid, if u dont see yourself going over 200.

Last edited:

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
You should only get modems that have been qualified by your cable provider. Anything else, and any issues you have will always be your fault, automatically :p

The way cable providers setup channels varies from provider to provider. For instance, you can do base 60Mbps Charter Cable off of 2 bonded Channels. But Charter chooses to use 4, and in some markets uses 8.

TL;DR, if you want to future proof, get whatever the fastest modem is on your cable provider's approved list. But only get modem's that are on your cable provider's approved list.

fkoehler

Feb 29, 2008
Agree with thecoolnessrune.

If you look on CL/eBay, you can probably find something on your ISP's approved list for $25-50 that will work fine.

You didn't mention ISP or bandwidth, so assuming average 25-50Mb ?

Last edited:

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I did end up buying the nighthawk. The modem is approved by my ISP. My bandwidth is now 200 mbps (previously was limited by modem to 100 mbps). The modem is only using 8 channels though so it clearly was overkill. However I wanted to upgrade to the fastest wireless AC router anyway. In hindsight I could have spent ~$100 less by getting the cheapest 8-ch modem and a regular AC router but I figured might as well pay a little more to future proof the modem side.

MoonPuppy

May 26, 2016
I did end up buying the nighthawk.

How is this working out for you? On mine, the WAN connection keeps dropping sporadically every few days or weeks. I do a lot of remoting, so it's not a simple matter of reaching over and resetting the modem. I'm on TWC.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
How is this working out for you? On mine, the WAN connection keeps dropping sporadically every few days or weeks. I do a lot of remoting, so it's not a simple matter of reaching over and resetting the modem. I'm on TWC.

Did you try dd-wrt?

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
No. Can you use that on the units with the combined modem and router? Or just the routers? I would have hoped I wouldn't have had to hack such an expensive device.

Modem/router combos are not supported by DD-WRT.

On mine, the WAN connection keeps dropping sporadically every few days or weeks. I do a lot of remoting, so it's not a simple matter of reaching over and resetting the modem.

It's most likely overheating since it uses a single CPU for modem and router, especially if you're using VPN on the router.

fiberst

Aug 29, 2014
I'd like to choose the 16x4 modem. But to mention that, no matter which one you pick put, the modem chosen should be the one tested and qualified by your ISP, so as to avoid some issues in future. (The approved one works better)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
No. Can you use that on the units with the combined modem and router? Or just the routers? I would have hoped I wouldn't have had to hack such an expensive device.

Wait your nighthawk is a combo box? Sorry thiught it was just a router.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Had a similar problem. Cable guy fixed it, poor connection at the pole. Work most of the time, but modem rebooted way too often.