Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
The DX redist is for DX9.0C. Install that, and you should have most everything for anything up to DX9.0C.

Some games need special versions of DX DLLs, but they will give you an error that they can't find them, and you'll just to go DL a copy and put it in the same folder as the game's main EXE.

Don't bother with included installers. They're there because users would complain the game wouldn't run without them, instead of installing necessary dependencies.

Also, your last little problem shouldn't happen. While botched in some ways, WinSXS is there to fix that.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Why did they stop releasing DX redistributable packs in June 2010?
That's the last version where it's applicable (DX9.0c). DX10 and above is included with the OS and can only be updated through platform updates or service packs.

Sazuzaki

Jul 11, 2013
I think its already included in the updates? thats why they stopped? anyways they are ending DX anyways.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
I think its already included in the updates? thats why they stopped? anyways they are ending DX anyways.

You mind providing a source? DX11.1 is the current version and 11.2 is soon to be released with Windows 8.1.

DirectX API is an integral part of Windows Gaming I doubt it will disappear unless there was a replacement being planned and there is zero evidence pointing in that direction.

AMD made some remark about the DirectX update cycle no longer driving the market and that there won't be a DX12, but those comments have absolutely no bearing on what MS's actual plans are regarding the API. Just another blowhard throwing some words out for people to blindly grab and run with.

Incremental updates always come, but it will be naïve to think there won't be another major revision to suit whatever new major OS is released by MS, even if the core feature set remains constant.

lamedude

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
The DX SDK has been integrated into the Windows SDK. It looks like runtime updates will now come from Windows platform updates and new optional components will be redistributed with the program only (or grab the Windows SDK and "install" them yourself).