2080TI fan bad

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
So, it is loose and making a hell of a noise, and a replacement fan, even as a prime member of Amazon is due May 20th to June 13th ! And almost $30 for ONE fan.

• Wow
Reactions: Assimilator1

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
And I had to buy a special multi-bit jewelers screwdriver set to remove the fan, another $15

Reactions: VirtualLarry

LANMAN

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
That's Jensen Huang hardware for ya... God forbid should a company ever make a product that 'normal' tools can fix. Pretty sad and I feel your pain (been there, done that :persevere:)

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
That's Jensen Huang hardware for ya... God forbid should a company ever make a product that 'normal' tools can fix. Pretty sad and I feel your pain (been there, done that :persevere:)
I agree it would be preferable to have the board manufactures use standard fans, but hey, at least these are FRUs. It could be worse, like having to RMA the card. Had to do that once with an Asus GTX 580 (one of the fans dead within warranty). And I'd say, unless these screws are something very special, having a set of Torx and hex screw drivers at hand (in addition to the standard Philips and slot ones) is pretty common when dealing with PC hardware. At least PCs are not like dumbphones... ;)

Also, Mark has so many cards, and if he just now needed these tools for the first time, he was a) very lucky, and b) can still apportion the expenses over all his cards, assuming these are not cheap throw-away tools (I hate stuff like that).

@Markfw: Hope they'll get the fan to you faster. Anyhow, if you have a spare fan of similar size lying around, you could already remove the defective one, and use cable ties to "mount" the temporary replacement to the heat sink, and plug it either to the card (if you have an adapter and the fan is not too powerful), or to your motherboard. Then you have all the time in the world to wait for your replacement fan.