2024 Corvette E-Ray hybrid

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Neat:

Notes:

* 160hp electric motor on the front wheels (max 4-mile range on battery only; it's really designed as a performance hybrid)
* 459hp V8 gas engine for the back wheels (capable of operating on 4 cylinders as well)
* Maximum power output of 655 horsepower (15hp less than the top-dog 670hp Corvette Z06)
* Zero to 60 in 2.5 seconds, making it the fastest-accelerating Corvette ever
* Not a plug-in hybrid; the battery is charged as the car slows & brakes and as it drives
* Only weighs 200 pounds more than the Stingray

3.6" wider than the base model:

1674043604741.png

Digital dashboard with a separate screen for the electric motor:

1674043626646.png

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
I was hoping for full electric, but it is cool to have AWD in this shape of a car.

Reactions: Kaido

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Very much like the NSX of which I was cross shopping before settling on the R8.

The deciding factor was that only used NSXs were available and it was at the height of the car buying craze. Prices were much higher than what the cars were worth.

Chevy isn't doing anything new with the E-Ray and the Z06. They are doing what has been done already at a more attainable price point. NSX and the R8/Huracan have done it all before.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
They are doing what has been done already at a more attainable price point. NSX and the R8/Huracan have done it all before.

None of the cars you've listed are at a more attainable price point than either the z06 or the E-ray. I'm also not quite sure what you mean when you say that those others have done it all before.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Looks like a pretty cool car to me. Marques form MKBHD has a second channel called Auto Focus and last week he posted a video that featured an up close look at it. Thing sounds like it's from the future when it rolls off the line at low speeds. I'm sure it's just pipped in from a speaker under the car but it still sounds awesome.

Here's the vid if anyone wants to check it out. I see Doug just released one to but I haven't watched it yet.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Four mile electric range? Why bother with it? Just for starting from the line?

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Four mile electric range? Why bother with it? Just for starting from the line?

When you say this, your mindset is that an electric motor should be offering MPG benefits. Because in most applications it's used for that purpose. But that ignores the attributes that make them superior to gas engines. If we didn't have to deal with the downsides of the batteries they use then most vehicles would be electric.

Here they use it for performance. The electric motor powers the front axle of the car. A bigger take away isn't that it's the first hybrid Corvette, it should be that it's the first AWD Corvette. With the small battery they use GM claims that this setup was actually lighter than going to a traditional setup with the added bonus of more HP/TQ. The battery management system is also setup in a way that there is always enough reserve to make sure the front motor can operate when needed for traction.

I also assume one of their biggest motivators for making this car is that eventually it will be electric only. So they need to start getting people comfortable with some form of electric.

Reactions: alexruiz

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That's more or less what I figured, just enough battery to launch the car from stop, then rwd and turn front motor into dynamo and recharge.

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
That's more or less what I figured, just enough battery to launch the car from stop, then rwd and turn fromt motor into dynamo and recharge.

Nah it's just for 7-11 runs. The ultimate grocery getter! hahaha