2022 Health Insurance inflation

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
My employer has very expensive health insurance plans as it is and the sort of comparable plan went up 20%. Think this is going to be typical for people?

Dec 10, 2005
If I signed up for individual coverage through my employer, my costs would have gone down by a few bucks a month. But since I also cover my spouse, I'm looking at a slight increase (about $20 extra a month).

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I'm pretty sure my medicare premium will increase...along with my Social Security, but my Medicare Advantage premium is dropping.

mztykal

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
I just saw the increase for my coverage and it went up another $150.00 a month…I know effectively pay $1000.00 a month for medical/dental/vision for my family… 🤦‍♂️

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I just saw the increase for my coverage and it went up another $150.00 a month…I know effectively pay $1000.00 a month for medical/dental/vision for my family… 🤦‍♂️

This is the greatest country in the world. Don't question the methodology.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

mztykal

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
It was half the price for the same coverage in Texas…I’m calling this Hawaii tax… 🤦‍♂️😢

• Wow

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
My boss told me with the renewal coming up with Blue Cross Blue Shield is actually going down. I pay 50%, and my payment is supposed to go down about $90/month.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Just got my renewal notice and my rate is decreasing by little over 2%. So that's nice surprise.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2009
My boss told me with the renewal coming up with Blue Cross Blue Shield is actually going down. I pay 50%, and my payment is supposed to go down about $90/month.
The problem with BCBS is that there are different franchises based on state location. For instance, my employer's BCBS of IL is a worthless POS but my wife's BCBS of GA (aka Anthem) is a fantastic policy. The two are on opposite ends of the spectrum. And yet the individual premiums are not far apart. Amazing how that goes and my employer has 250K employees whereas my wife's employer has 1/10 that number and yet they can get a better deal. Greed=/=Logic

Reactions: stargazr

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
The problem with BCBS is that there are different franchises based on state location. For instance, my employer's BCBS of IL is a worthless POS but my wife's BCBS of GA (aka Anthem) is a fantastic policy. The two are on opposite ends of the spectrum. And yet the individual premiums are not far apart. Amazing how that goes and my employer has 250K employees whereas my wife's employer has 1/10 that number and yet they can get a better deal. Greed=/=Logic

How much the employer wants to pay obviously matters, but the average age of employees matters too I think.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
If your employer has 250k employees I'd bet that BCBS of IL is just acting as a TPA (third party administrator) for what is actually your employer's self-funded ERISA health plan. If that's the case then BCBS is being paid a nominal fee to access their network and process the paperwork but most everything else (plan design, benefit limitations, exclusions policies, etc) would be dictated by the employer.

In fact your wife's employer at 25k employees is also probably doing the same thing. It's likely not that one BCBS is significantly different from the other it's that one employer is significantly different from the other.

And yes I am aware of the differences among various BCBS affiliates nationwide. I'm just saying that at the employee levels we're discussing it is highly improbable that a commercial large group fully-insured policy is being purchased by either employer.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Without getting into to much detail I will say that if the companies I work with, comparing 3Q2021 to FYE 2020:

Company A has 2021 revenue of 84% of 2020 while medical costs net of reinsurance are 96% of 2020.

Company 2 is 70% revenue and 70% medical cost net of reinsurance.

The big driver in Company 1 appears to be office visits, which through 75% of the year are at 104% of prior year costs.

The big driver in Company B appears to be non-dental professional services and referrals, which through 75% of the year are at 97% of prior year costs.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Thankfully I pay $0 in premiums. My company covers it 100% for health, vision, and dental for me and my fam. They also cover my deductible by putting $3000 into my HSA.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
During the time I've been furloughed I had Connecticut "Husky" adult medicare which literally paid for every cent of every doctor's visit and every non-OTC medication with zero cost to me. (the way it should be for everyone in the so-called "richest" country on earth)

Damn good thing too because with the dog-$hit high-deductible Obama-care Bronze plan I had previously I really couldn't afford to go to the doctor for routine care. (turns out I had a couple pretty serious/potentially life threatening untreated health-issues which I'm now managing effectively)

At this point I'm expecting to be back to work shortly and will have to sign back up for an exchange-plan... from what I'm seeing my costs will be about the same for a "Silver" plan as they were previously for "Bronze" and I can get essentially the same plan I had (with $5k+ deductible) for no out of pocket premiums.

What a deal! :rolleyes:

*(Nonsense like this is why I really no longer give two craps about "owing" the the greedy scumbags responsible for the current system money. Those rat-bastards FULLY deserve any and all screwing they get and more!)

Last edited: