Discussion 2022 Backlog Thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I really powerfully dislike the "throw yourself against a wall until it breaks or you do" mechanic rogue-likes are built around. The nature of the games also means there is very rarely any sort of actual narrative either, which is a big part of the reason I like to play games in the first place instead of watch TV and Movies.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Aw, I was all into it right up until here. I did enjoy Rogue Legacy and played it to completion.
If you're a fan of Rogue Legacy then you'll undoubtedly enjoy Skul. Just grab it on sale. The difficulty may have been my inability to 100% Rogue Legacy or just the fact that I'm not as good with fast reflex games as I used to be (quite a bit of hand damage over the years). The gimmick is really unique and the story is pretty decent for a game like this. Even as I was playing through after beating the game I was finding new skulls I hadn't seen before so there's a ton of depth to the game. I just wish the levels were longer, but it's still fun with very memorable bosses.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Completed Batman Arkham Origins. Overall a very solid narrative that felt like it could have easily been a mainline Batman movie entry, but it did have a few minor misteps in general game design.

Overall a very satisfying experience that just reinforces what a top tier badass Batman as a character is.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Maybe I ought to play through that one of these times, I think I got it free from Epic. I did enjoy Arkham Asylum & City.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Maybe I ought to play through that one of these times, I think I got it free from Epic. I did enjoy Arkham Asylum & City.

- If you liked City, you'll more or less like Origins as its essentially City 2. Although the game has a lot of Batman D-List villains, the fact that the game essentially plays as a "Batman Year Two" where Batman himself wasn't particularly established and was still figuring himself out makes the whole thing work rather well.

The game also does an incredible job setting up Joker's obsession with Batman, as well as heavily redeeming Bane from his sort of meat head persona from the prior games.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Started playing The Banner Saga 2. Stoic Studios clearly has that Bioware blood in it, first thing to do is import your save and decisions from your first game into the second. Haven't played much, but the game appears to be graphically and gameplay-wise a direct extension of the first, so I suspect this is less like 3 separate games and more like 3 episodes of one game.

Reactions: nakedfrog

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Completed The Banner Saga 2 (more like The Banner Saga Part 2). A gripping game with solid characters, a gripping storyline, but there were definitely some improvements from the first game from a gameplay and unit variety perspective while there were regressions in other areas. Enjoyed it, but a bit of a mixed bag instead of a solid improvement over the original.

Reactions: Stg-Flame

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Completed The Banner Saga 2 (more like The Banner Saga Part 2). A gripping game with solid characters, a gripping storyline, but there were definitely some improvements from the first game from a gameplay and unit variety perspective while there were regressions in other areas. Enjoyed it, but a bit of a mixed bag instead of a solid improvement over the original.
I keep wanting to knock TBS off my list, but I always shy away from the older reviews that claimed it as a grueling slog that takes 50+ hours to complete. What was your impression on the first game? It'll likely be the next on my list after I finally get through Battlechasers.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I keep wanting to knock TBS off my list, but I always shy away from the older reviews that claimed it as a grueling slog that takes 50+ hours to complete. What was your impression on the first game? It'll likely be the next on my list after I finally get through Battlechasers.

- "Grueling Slog"?! That's would be a very weird characterization of these games. Each game clocks in at about 10 hours so the whole trilogy should take about 30 hours to complete, although the pace is very relaxing so the game might feel a bit longer than it actually is.

First game was really refreshing narrative heavy, choice based Oregon trail. The combat takes a bit of getting used to but its solid and satisfying as well. Choices can seem somewhat mercurial, with decisions you made hours ago coming to fruition with sometimes unexpected results well after the fact.

I enjoyed it, and it was a fun game to play between poppier AAA titles, but the game is pretty thematically heavy so don't expect to walk away feeling brighter than sunshine by the time things wrap up.

Had a more full bodied write up of the first game here. I'll do a write up for the second game shortly and focus on what it improves on and where it gets worse.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
The gameplay is actually decent if you ignore the story. It would have made a good spinoff game if they didn't call it C&C 4.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
- If you liked City, you'll more or less like Origins as its essentially City 2. Although the game has a lot of Batman D-List villains, the fact that the game essentially plays as a "Batman Year Two" where Batman himself wasn't particularly established and was still figuring himself out makes the whole thing work rather well.

The game also does an incredible job setting up Joker's obsession with Batman, as well as heavily redeeming Bane from his sort of meat head persona from the prior games.
I like all of them, including Knight. Yes, it was a hot mess on release. However, playing it now with max settings is good stuff. The batmobile combat annoyed everyone, but it isn't that bad. Though I greatly prefer the classic beat 'em up combat.

Best jump scare to get me since I was a kid watching Jaws; when the dude's head pops out of the port hole. You have to set the PC calendar to be Halloween for it to happen. I think it worked so well because I was in the zone, gliding around the city, landing to beatdown thugs then head to the next bunch. Then bam! in yo face! I about did the fist through the monitor reaction.

Knight is definitely one of those maligned games, that is worth playing. PhysX stuff adds some ambiance too. I played on a RX 380 or 470 the first time I think. So playing with an Nvidia card does have that value added feel.

Oh, and make time for Sleeping Dogs. I was not feeling it for the first hour or two, but ended up binging that game hard for a few days. The Bruce Lee homage stuff is excellent.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I like all of them, including Knight.

Oh, and make time for Sleeping Dogs. I was not feeling it for the first hour or two, but ended up binging that game hard for a few days. The Bruce Lee homage stuff is excellent.

- Knight is definitely on the agenda, but part of me wants to wait till I get a new GPU as its one of those game's that i'd prefer to play at 1440/144 rather than 1440/60 that my current 980TI can probably manage.

Thanks for the Sleeping Dogs rec. Its been in my sights for a long time, but I've never really liked GTA games so I never really took a good look at it.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Loved Chrono Trigger, never played Chrono Cross. Interested on hearing opinions about the game. The recent "remaster" has my interest piqued.
So I was going to play Chrono Cross, but I wasn't feeling JRPG at the time. So, I started playing a new game called Tunic (think 2D Zelda meets Dark Souls). Then, on the 18th, I got distracted by the 10th anniversary of Portal 2 and played through that (still amazing). Following that, I went back and finished Tunic and had a mostly good time. Then, things about Tunic made me want to play Fez, which also coincidentally had its 10 year anniversary. So I loaded up my old save that was a couple hours in, had no idea what was going on, but eventually relearned the game and 100%'d it while having a blast (caveat: I generally love puzzles).

After all that, I'm finally on the Chrono Cross "remaster". I'm about 8 hours in. So far, I don't like the combat system, but I *do* like the fact that there is no MP, so you basically have your full array of magic attacks (called Elements) every battle (the downside to this is you can only use a particular Element once per battle), and your "level" is determined by stars you get from boss battles, so you don't have to worry about different party members being underleveled. Story-wise, I'm into it, though not as much as Chrono Trigger. (Slightly spoilery) Instead of time travel, Cross deals with 2 alternate dimensions.

Judging by the Steam achievements, it looks like it has a ton of endings like CT. I will probably try to get at least a few of them.

To recap: Portal 2, amazing. Tunic, pretty good. Fez, amazing. Chrono Cross, TBD.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I like all of them, including Knight. Yes, it was a hot mess on release.
Same. I preordered it because I love the Arkham series, and it was practically unplayable on my system at the time. I eventually got back round to it in 2019, and had a blast. I'm a sucker for the series, though. The combat fits so perfectly with being Batman, and I even enjoy most of the Riddler stuff (which is a good thing, because *warning* you need to do all of the Riddler stuff to get the true ending). The Batmobile stuff was fine, but I would have been perfectly happy without it.

Hard to believe it'll have already been 7 years in June.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Whirlwind

Nov 4, 2006
I am currently playing through Sniper Elite 4.

It has been a lot of fun so far. You get plenty of options to get the job done, which is quite fun. Setting up a variety of mines has made for some fun moments.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
January - Chasm, Black Mesa, Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter, Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter, Serious Sam 3: BFE
February/March/April - Skyrim, Skul: The Hero Slayer,
April/May - Battlechasers: Nightwar

Battlechasers is a game that you can definitely tell it was a Kickstarter game. That's not to say it's bad because it was a decent RPG but there were a lot of things that screamed "amateur hour".

Pros: Graphics are pretty good as well as the animations. Voice acting wasn't bad and the story is told in a pretty interesting way. The dungeons are also fairly unique with plenty of puzzles as well as things to keep you busy outside of the main quest.

Cons: I feel like this list will be longer so I should preface this by saying the game isn't bad, but if you're itching for a turn-based RPG, you can do better. I think the reason this list will be longer is that while the game was fun, the cons definitely stood out above the pros.

First off: the writing. The soldier in your party? Yeah, his incredibly unique name is "Garrison". The giant robot? Callibretto... Right off the bat, the lazy names put a bad taste in my mouth but I had to realize this wasn't a large studio where they paid professional writers but even then, you meet the last person to be recruited into your party (about halfway through the goddamn game though) who tells you he's part of a mysterious group called "The Order". I feel like a high school student could have come up with literally anything better than "The Order". After a few hours into the game you meet one of the big bad bosses who are trying to destroy the world whose name just happens to be... Destra. The names just felt lazy.

While on the amateur subject, the vast majority of enemies in the game are just reused sprites but with different colors to denote their shift in difficulty. I am a little split on this one being a con because I grew up watching my dad play older NES RPGs like Ultima, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Warrior so the color palette swaps felt like a little throwback to the old NES days, but on the other hand, the game was made in 2017 and it feels like it was less on the intentional nostalgia throwback and more on them just not wanting to create new sprites and animations.

Going back to the dungeons, while the dungeons are procedurally generated, it's pretty much just the layout that changes. Most of the rooms will change as well as random events inside the dungeons, but there are a lot of static rooms that won't change no matter what. This really isn't a con, but it ties into one of the bigger cons of the game and that's your movement speed. The speed isn't slow enough that it made me want to quit or not run the same dungeon again, but it was slow enough that if you had to backtrack for any reason (grab a shrine before the boss, check a room you missed, hit a crafting bench, etc.), you became extremely aware of the movement speed. Not that big of a gripe, but it is noticeable.

Now, the biggest con of the entire game might just be because I haven't played any modern RPGs (I honestly think the closest RPG I played to this in terms of years was Suikoden 2), but the difficulty spike in this game is exactly that - one goddamn spike after another. To start, you can't really powerlevel or farm levels in this game. Once you reach two or three levels above the current enemy level, they give you about two experience per battle. You can run through the current dungeon a few times for a chance at better gear, but I found out that trying to squeeze every last bit of loot out of the current dungeon was pointless because no matter what level you were or what gear you had equipped, when you'd unlock the next area, the starting enemies you meet can one or two-shot anyone in your party. I ran each dungeon on Legendary difficulty for better rewards and I ran them multiple times for better gear and I was still meeting normal enemies that could wipe my entire party in two turns. At first I thought I was doing something wrong or missing something, but no, that's just how the game is played. After you grab a few more levels in the new area, enemies go back to being a normal challenge and I'd say once you reach the halfway mark in the new dungeon, the game goes back to easy mode again. There's eight major dungeons in the game so just expect eight giant spikes in difficulty on your journey through this game. I did jump into NG+ for a few minutes but after loading into NG+ with my max level enchanted gear from the normal game, I watched my characters get one-shot by a level two slime and that's when I pressed the uninstall button.

Edit: I forgot the mention the story is confusing as ****. Don't try to follow the story at all.

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
January - Chasm, Black Mesa, Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter, Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter, Serious Sam 3: BFE
February/March/April - Skyrim, Skul: The Hero Slayer,
April/May - Battlechasers: Nightwar

Battlechasers is a game that you can definitely tell it was a Kickstarter game. That's not to say it's bad because it was a decent RPG but there were a lot of things that screamed "amateur hour".

Pros: Graphics are pretty good as well as the animations. Voice acting wasn't bad and the story is told in a pretty interesting way. The dungeons are also fairly unique with plenty of puzzles as well as things to keep you busy outside of the main quest.

Cons: I feel like this list will be longer so I should preface this by saying the game isn't bad, but if you're itching for a turn-based RPG, you can do better. I think the reason this list will be longer is that while the game was fun, the cons definitely stood out above the pros.

First off: the writing. The soldier in your party? Yeah, his incredibly unique name is "Garrison". The giant robot? Callibretto... Right off the bat, the lazy names put a bad taste in my mouth but I had to realize this wasn't a large studio where they paid professional writers but even then, you meet the last person to be recruited into your party (about halfway through the goddamn game though) who tells you he's part of a mysterious group called "The Order". I feel like a high school student could have come up with literally anything better than "The Order". After a few hours into the game you meet one of the big bad bosses who are trying to destroy the world whose name just happens to be... Destra.

While on the amateur subject, the vast majority of enemies in the game are just reused sprites but with different colors to denote their shift in difficulty. I am a little split on this one being a con because I grew up watching my dad play older NES RPGs like Ultima, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Warrior so the color palette swaps felt like a little throwback to the old NES days, but on the other hand, the game was made in 2017 and it feels like it was less on the intentional nostalgia throwback and more on them just not wanting to create new sprites and animations.

Going back to the dungeons, while the dungeons are procedurally generated, it's pretty much just the layout that changes. Most of the rooms will change as well as random events inside the dungeons, but there are a lot of static rooms that won't change no matter what. This really isn't a con, but it ties into one of the bigger cons of the game and that's your movement speed. The speed isn't slow enough that it made me want to quit or not run the same dungeon again, but it was slow enough that if you had to backtrack for any reason (grab a shrine before the boss, check a room you missed, hit a crafting bench, etc.), you became extremely aware of the movement speed. Not that big of a gripe, but it is noticeable.

Now, the biggest con of the entire game might just be because I haven't played any modern RPGs (I honestly think the closest RPG I played to this in terms of years was Suikoden 2), but the difficulty spike in this game is exactly that - one goddamn spike after another. To start, you can't really powerlevel or farm levels in this game. Once you reach two or three levels above the current enemy level, they give you about two experience. You can run through the current dungeon a few times for a chance at better gear, but I found out that trying to squeeze every last bit of loot out of the current dungeon was pointless because no matter what level you were or what gear you had equipped, when you'd unlock the next area, the starting enemies you meet can one or two-shot anyone in your party. I ran each dungeon on Legendary difficulty for better rewards and I ran them multiple times for better gear and I was still meeting normal enemies that could wipe my entire party in two turns. At first I thought I was doing something wrong or missing something, but no, that's just how the game is played. After you grab a few more levels in the new area, enemies go back to being a normal challenge and I'd say once you reach the halfway mark in the new dungeon, the game goes back to easy mode again. There's eight major dungeons in the game so just expect eight giant spikes in difficulty on your journey through this game. I did jump into NG+ for a few minutes but after loading into NG+ with my max level enchanted gear from the normal game, I watched my characters get one-shot by a level two slime and that's when I pressed the uninstall button.

Edit: I forgot the mention the story is confusing as ****. Don't try to follow the story at all.
i loved battlechasers! i really liked the art style. i don't remember the difficulty spikes though (not to say they didn't exist).

as for my contribution to this thread - i picked up Pathfinder Wrath of the RIghteous and have started playing as a Sohei (monk that can fight mounted on a horse). The beginning is somewhat painful - there are some mobs with a high-power, damage-reduction enemy that really kills you. not being able to bypass the damage reduction is a huge problem that makes certain fights near unwinnable.
thankfully, i recruited a character that can enchant weapons to bypass the DR, and now those monsters have died. i think it will be a good bit smoother sailing from here on (i hope)

Reactions: Stg-Flame

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
i loved battlechasers! i really liked the art style. i don't remember the difficulty spikes though (not to say they didn't exist).
It was a really fun game and the spikes didn't last long, but they were there every step of the way. Just like the movement speed I mentioned above - not a big enough nuisance to ruin the experience, but prevalent enough that they were very noticeable. I think the Lycelot Berserkers and the Hangmen were the first major instances of normal enemies simply being unfair for where you encounter them. The Hangmen do constant damage every turn, plus they'll curse you, then they'll hit your entire party for about 2,000 damage (max HP was barely above 3,000), each turn, and to top it off they have about 6,000 HP whereas normal enemies in the area are barely pushing 1,500. You could kill them, but it was a long-winded battle and at the start of the next battles you were just blocking and healing the entire time. Also, I did play every dungeon on Legendary difficulty so that likely contributed to the extra spike in difficulty for the dungeons, but the overworld enemies would still hit like a damn truck.

Although, anytime I have any kind of difficulty spike like what I experienced with this game, I just chalk it up to me missing something obvious. I never try to speedrun new games and I'm excruciatingly thorough with my exploration, but I'm pretty sure I was missing something. Still, it's a fun game that took me about 40 hours to complete.

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Got sidetracked by Super Meat Boy. Playing it to the hilt. Punishing but fun platformer that was obviously made with love. The quick 2-3 minute level design is pure brilliance. It's a wall I don't mind throwing myself at, since the wall is only 2-3 feet high...

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
- Hoooooo boy, do I have mixed feelings about DA:I.

Curious to hear what you think...

Annoying thing is it tells me to go to a place but doesn't tell me where that is in the war room map. Basically had to look at all locations to find it.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Trying to start up Rogue Legacy 2, but I'm not feeling it yet. So far it's very similar to the first game and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.