2021 Hurricane Season

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
We’d been going back and forth on getting one for years. It was the 3 day power outage during the winter that finally pushed us over.
What did it cost you, ballpark, out of curiosity if you don't mind answering?

Nov 17, 2019
Track map at this moment shows an H at landfall, not an M, but of course that could change, as could the landing point.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
What did it cost you, ballpark, out of curiosity if you don't mind answering?
To much.

We ordered the generator through Lowe’s. Full installation costs ~ $10-12k.

Excruciating detail below
  • A 22-24kw generator is $5-$6k (basically a 1000cc motorcycle engine)
  • Transfer switch ~$1k (automatically switches loads from main to generator power)
  • Softstarts for AC units a few hundred (keeps the both ACs from starting at the same time and bogging the generator down
The rest is for:
  • Concrete slab to mount the generator
  • Electricians to wire everything in
  • Plumber to run the gas lines
  • Gas company to upsize the regulator and do the final tie in
  • Electric company to come out and shut off the power to the house during install
  • Various city & insurance inspections

The generator runs for 5 minutes every week and can notify you for maintenance. We are paying a few hundred a year for the installation company to come out and do preventative maintenance.

Took almost 6 months from the time we called for a quote. It’s now running 9 months.

The last fun thing we learned was we needed an insurance inspection. Living just inside a coastal county means outside of some very expensive private options we are limited to the state backed windstorm insurance. Our policy was up about the time the generator was installed and we made the mistake of asking the insurance company if it would be covered as part of the structure or personal property.

The agent said, “Oh you have a slab mounted generator? I don’t see an inspection certificate. We can’t renew your insurance.” (If coverage lapses they won’t cover us for the first 30 days we re-up which just happened to be the start of hurricane season.)

Neither Lowe’s nor the installation company were aware of this. We ended up finding an engineering company that would do the inspection and write the certificate saying it was installed correctly and wouldn’t become a projectile during a storm.

My wife ended up arguing with the installation company about needing the inspection and the manager said he lived in a costal county with a generator and didn’t have it inspected. My wife said go talk to your insurance agent but don’t be surprised if they drop you.

The next day he said, “I talked to my agent. I uh have to get my generator inspected or they are going to drop me. I’m going to have to start doing this for all our customers but Lowe’s isn’t going to cover it.”

The engineering company we hired said they’ve only done a few of these inspections. The installation company had a backlog of 700 generators to install, most in coastal counties. No one is getting these inspected. Which means if you file a claim after a storm the entire claim can be denied if they find out you have one of these and didn’t get it inspected.

Sorry for the long story.

• Wow
Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
To much.

• Transfer switch ~$1k (automatically switches loads from main to generator power)
  • Softstarts for AC units a few hundred (keeps the both ACs from starting at the same time and bogging the generator down
The rest is for:
  • Electric company to come out and shut off the power to the house during install

The generator runs for 5 minutes every week and can notify you for maintenance. We are paying a few hundred a year for the installation company to come out and do preventative maintenance.

Took almost 6 months from the time we called for a quote. It’s now running 9 months.

The last fun thing we learned was we needed an insurance inspection. Living just inside a coastal county means outside of some very expensive private options we are limited to the state backed windstorm insurance. Our policy was up about the time the generator was installed and we made the mistake of asking the insurance company if it would be covered as part of the structure or personal property.

The agent said, “Oh you have a slab mounted generator? I don’t see an inspection certificate. We can’t renew your insurance.” (If coverage lapses they won’t cover us for the first 30 days we re-up which just happened to be the start of hurricane season.)

Neither Lowe’s nor the installation company were aware of this. We ended up finding an engineering company that would do the inspection and write the certificate saying it was installed correctly and wouldn’t become a projectile during a storm.

My wife ended up arguing with the installation company about needing the inspection and the manager said he lived in a costal county with a generator and didn’t have it inspected. My wife said go talk to your insurance agent but don’t be surprised if they drop you.

The next day he said, “I talked to my agent. I uh have to get my generator inspected or they are going to drop me. I’m going to have to start doing this for all our customers but Lowe’s isn’t going to cover it.”

The engineering company we hired said they’ve only done a few of these inspections. The installation company had a backlog of 700 generators to install, most in coastal counties. No one is getting these inspected. Which means if you file a claim after a storm the entire claim can be denied if they find out you have one of these and didn’t get it inspected.

Someone should install a centralized generator that all these communities can tie in to, then pay collectively for it. Probably cheaper than installing 700 separate generators.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
To much.

The rest is for:

That's not a long story, that's called good info.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
That's not a long story, that's called good info.
Never thought about the insurance part. I doubt anybody thought about that. That's number 4 on the list things I need to due in the next couple years. Big trees and high winds don't mix.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Someone should install a centralized generator that all these communities can tie in to, then pay collectively for it. Probably cheaper than installing 700 separate generators.

Huh? Is this a serious statement or is my sarcasm meter broken? What would they be using to distribute this generator power to 700+ homes... microwaves?

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
I can tell you it sucks to have no power for several days in the fall in Florida (which is about like the summer). We are installing solar + battery partly for that reason...for better or worse, the wife's idea mainly and she's been killing it this year with realty, so...

Climate change means storms will probably continue to get worse and more frequent in the years ahead (and not just in the south).

Nov 17, 2019
They've moved the track right/east at least three time so far. If that continues, it could be Florida. Or it could veer back west again.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
They've moved the track right/east at least three time so far. If that continues, it could be Florida. Or it could veer back west again.

There is a strong steering ridge in the Carolinas that will keep the core well west of the panhandle. Florida's gulf coast could definitely experience some severe effects, but landfall is still predicted to be significantly west of the Florida peninsula.

Also worth mentioning: these eastward movements are plotting Ida's landfall directly into New Orleans.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Current consensus seems to be a cat 3 landfall somewhere close to New Orleans.

It really depends on how rapid intensification goes. It could be a cat 1 or 2, or it could be a cat 4 (probably and hopefully not a cat 5).

I'm telling you, it's gonna be another katrina. Massive ramp up to cat5 just before landfall. We've been seeing *a lot* of that lately.

Check out the deepening red off the coast of LA in this loop:

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
I'm telling you, it's gonna be another katrina. Massive ramp up to cat5 just before landfall. We've been seeing *a lot* of that lately.

Check out the deepening red off the coast of LA in this loop:

Yikes.

It's about to pass over western Cuba, which unfortunately is very flat and will provide little resistance. After that it's a hurricane passing over increasingly warm water with no sheer.

It seems the only thing that would help would be a fast-moving storm, giving it less time to intensify and would hopefully keep it at cat2/cat3 at landfall.

Edit: another thing to consider is that the water south of Cuba (where Ida is brewing) is currently warmer than the water in the gulf. This could give the storm a head start before its post-Cuba journey.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
NHC now predicting Ida to make landfall in Cuba as a cat 1 very shortly. This would put it significantly ahead of schedule for many models.

100510_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png