petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Ok, folks, I have registered the TeAm for the Pentathlon race.
In this thread we can communicate with each other, give advice, ramble, complain and cheer.
Let us do it!

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/

from 05 May 2018 00:00 UTC
to 19 May 2018 00:00 UTC​

Rules: It's a competition between teams (not between individuals). There will be 4 concurrent CPU races (one 14 days long, another one 7 days long, a 5er, and a 3 day sprint) and 1 GPU race (5 days). The projects will be made known no earlier than 3 days in advance (for three of the races, 5 days in advance for two races), at random times of the day, together with the start dates.

Points will be given to each team according to their score in each of the 5 races; the final ranking is by the sum of the points. SETI.Germany's Pentathlon site will provide extensive stats with hourly updates.

Outcomes of the Pentathlon in previous years are rather buried at the SETI.Germany site now.

The first discipline was announced on 30 April 00:00 UTC:

Marathon: NumberFields@home
to 19 May 2018 00:00 UTC
stats —​

The 2nd discipline was announced on 2 May 18:00 UTC:

Swimming: Universe@Home
to 12 May 2018 00:00 UTC
stats —​

The 3rd discipline was announced on 8 May 00:00 UTC:

Sprint: Rosetta@Home
from 11 May 2018 00:00 UTC
to 14 May 2018 00:00 UTC
stats —​

The 4th discipline was announced on 9 May 12:00 UTC:

City Run: Asteroids@home
from 14 May 2018 00:00 UTC
to 19 May 2018 00:00 UTC
stats —​

The 5th discipline was announced on 10 May 06:00 UTC:

Cross Country: PrimeGrid
from 13 May 2018 00:00 UTC
to 18 May 2018 00:00 UTC
stats —​

Note on UTC conversion:
10:00 AEST, 07:00 WIB, 02:00 CEST, 01:00 BST, 00:00 UTC on day X,
20:00 EDT, 19:00 CDT, 18:00 MDT, 17:00 PDT, 14:00 HST on day X-1.​

Note on start time:
A race starts only after the Pentathlon site was able to pull initial stats from the project server. Do not upload your bunker as long as the stats page says "Waiting for initial update. Credits that are granted now will not be counted". Wait until the stats page is showing a table with all teams.​

Edit April 30: marathon announcement
Edit May 2: notes on time conversion and start time
Edit May 8: sprint announced
Edit May 9: city run announced
Edit May 10: cross country announced

Last edited:

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
thanks for the link to past results. i see that we opted not to run in the marathon last year?? i assume there was a a strategy there..........
i think i only participated in the 2016 event.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
If memory serves......for last year's marathon, we poured many resources into it, then got so far ahead/behind, they we just quit running it the last several days, as the team beneath us had no chance of catching up, and likewise, we had no chance of advancing. We were fortunate there were no bunkers waiting to be released from below, but almost had perfect 9th place finishes in all the projects.

This is the Olympics of Distributed Computing challenges! :D

Less than 13 days until the start! :eek:

Last edited:

zzuupp

Lifer
Jul 6, 2008
Phew, 2 weeks. I was afraid this was the GO! thread.

2 weeks Doug E. Fresh, Doug E. Fresh

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
So tomorrow evening at 7:00 PM CST we get the marathon announcement and can bunker up?

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
If my math is right, the Marathon announcement = 5 days before the start will be at the earliest on
Monday 10:00 AEST, 07:00 WIB, 02:00 CEST, 01:00 BST, 00:00 UTC,
Sunday 20:00 EDT, 19:00 CDT, 18:00 MDT, 17:00 PDT, 14:00 HST.​

(That's 4 hours after the Formula Boinc sprint ends.)

However, throughout the Pentathlon, project announcements will be randomly deferred by up to 18 hours. This is so that contestants at all parts of the world will be kept on their toes and robbed of their sleep... ;-) I am not sure if they'll opt to defer the marathon project announcement too.

Edit April 29,
according to pschoefer at the shoutbox of the Pentathlon site, the marathon project announcement will be exactly at the time I noted above, IOW it won't be deferred randomly.

Last edited:

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
And the marathon project is... NumberFields.

Meh. I guess it's reliable.

Reactions: ao_ika_red

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
Will it bunker 5 days? I have only ran it on one system so I am letting a few tasks run and see if more download.

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
It appears to me that it allows 6/ core to be bunkered. Which in my case is 3.5 days worth at this point. It has not downloaded any more in the last half hour with the network connection left open.

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
It appears to me that it allows 6/ core to be bunkered. Which in my case is 3.5 days worth at this point. It has not downloaded any more in the last half hour with the network connection left open.
Yep, 6 per core seems to it.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
The limit on tasks in progress is 6 tasks per active logical CPU, or 384 per host, whichever is less. (The latter affects hosts which have more than 64 logical CPUs or have cc_config::ncpus set accordingly.)

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
A daily bulletin for "day -5" was posted by Jeeper, for now only in German in the SETI.Germany forum. Google's auto-translation, edited a bit by myself:
Jeeper74 said:
It's not so easy to find a start every year for the daily bulletin on the BOINC Pentathlon. One of the first exercises is to search for the meaning of the number that defines this pentathlon. This year, ladies and gentlemen, it's nine. For the ninth time, the ultimate competition takes place in the Boinc world.

The number 9 is the smallest odd composite number, and the smallest odd composite number which is not a Fermat pseudo prime number. Alright? Well, if that's too mathematical, take a look at the natural sciences. Yes, there were 9 planets and maybe there will be 10 next year; all a question of definition. In China, the 9 is assigned to the dragon. Is this perhaps an indication of what we are facing this year? But the dragon will not have it easy, because the 9-headed hydra from Greek mythology might have something against it.

As always, the challenge is the same for all teams.
The teams will encounter 5 disciplines: marathon, swimming, sprint, cross-country, endurance. While the marathon goes on for the whole duration of the Pentathlon, the teams will face tough matches in the other disciplines for 3-7 days. New this year: the announcement period for some disciplines has been shortened.
This means having to act even faster, but also more tactical opportunities for the brave. Who distributes resources wrongly, loses out. If you do it right, you can have legendary triumphs.

After a clear victory last year, SETI.USA faces the challenge of defending the title. The expectation is certainly high not only among the Americans. Planet3DNow and SETI.Germany will do anything to steal the beef from the burger. The big unknown is the power of Team China. Can the Chinese play a role in the fight for total gold? Do they already have the strength for the victory? And which other team can cause a stir in the overall ranking this year? L'Alliance Francophone, the Czech National Team, Overclock.net, BOINC@Poland, or ????

The past year has already shown the trend. It's getting more and more exciting in the disciplines. More and more teams have realistic chances on precious metal. It is therefore not too bold of me to say: Here is the action! Over are the days of SUSA, SG or P3D deciding everything and distributing among themselves. By clever tactics, surprises are always possible, no, even guaranteed. Overclock.net's individual victory in cross country last year and Team China's silver medal in the sprint are warning examples.

Rarely has the situation been as unclear as this year. Increasing crunching costs have troubled many teams, some were just about to hoist the white flag and capitulate. Also, it hasn't become easier for the organizers to find suitable projects. But real crunchers do not give up that easily. It's time to dust off the hardware, safeguard the electric outlets, stock up on a large supply of caffeine, and if at all possible send the wife to the hairdresser or the husband to the pub.

The heroic battle for credits in the service of science awakens languid spirits. Anyone who isn't tingling with anticipation of the challenge is already dead. Do you want to feel life? Let's go!
Be there, because one thing is certain:
It will be exciting at the Boinc Pentathlon.

Starting 05.05.18 - with the daily bulletin too.

Yours, Jeeper

Edit, May 2:
The canonical translation of Jeeper's -5d bulletin went online now:
https://www.seti-germany.de/forum/content/859-BOINC-Pentathlon-2018-Prelude

Last edited:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
It appears to me that it allows 6/ core to be bunkered. Which in my case is 3.5 days worth at this point.
It is probable that a second discipline will be announced before May 5, giving you the opportunity to bunker another project (while holding on to the NumberFields bunker, of course).

Timeline of 2017's Pentathlon:
May 5 - 19: Marathon at Cosmology@Home
May 5 - 10: City Run at WCG OpenZika
May 9 - 14: Cross Country at Einstein@Home
May 12 - 19: Swimming at LHC@home
May 13 - 16: Sprint at yoyo@home

Last edited:
Reactions: TennesseeTony

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
gotta love it.

boinc.png

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
With the start of the Pentathlon being 3 days + <8 hours away, the likelihood that another discipline will be announced is going to increase <8 hours from now. (Depends on whether or not the second discipline will start together with the marathon, and on the random 0 or 6 or 12 or 18 hours delay of the announcement.)

Reactions: Ken g6