2018 Camry Hybrid

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
I am familiar with how the MPG scale distorts perceived fuel consumption. For example going from 15 MPG to 30 MPG saves more fuel than going from 30 MPG to 60 MPG. In fact you save twice as much going from 15 MPG to 30 MPG as you do going from 30 MPG to 60 MPG. This in spite of the fact that there are only 15 MPG between the former and 30 MPG between the latter. It kinda looks like you are saving twice as much when in fact you are saving half as much.

I'm sure the Camry will shine once the weather warms up.

The Camry is in most ways the nicest car I've ever owned but it is not the least annoying.

I've been fortunate to have owned many new cars in my lifetime and my favorite cars have been the Mitsubishi Starion and the outgoing Honda Civic Hybrid. The wonderful climate control on my 1988 Starion has yet to be equaled. The climate control and most everything else on the Civic was not annoying. The Civic was not exciting but it was also not annoying.

who?

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2012
The climate control in a BMW or Mercedes Benz is probably as good as what you had in the Starion.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
sorry, didn't read all the replies in this thread, but OP why did you buy quite possibly the world's most boring car?

hybrids are great, but gas is at an all time low, and being in the economics and investment line of business, it's set to be cheap for the next 5-10 years from now...

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
Some people just like the idea of getting the best MPG possible even if gas is cheap. My BIL/SIL have a hybrid and a Volt, and their primary reasoning is just to do their part to get away from American dependence on foreign oil. They have the money to pay for "the hybrid premium" and are certainly not smug about driving fuel efficient vehicles, it's just a personal choice for them.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
OP why did you buy quite possibly the world's most boring car?
Good question. I've owned several "exciting" cars over the years including 2 Corvettes and 2 turbo sports cars. They were mostly unreliable junk with ridiculously expensive tires. They were also cop magnets and insurance was sky high.

I love hybrid tech and saving gas. This is similar to the way some people around here might prefer longer battery life for their portable electronics over having faster computing that they don't really need in a portable device.

I love the instant starting, the lack of starters or alternators and especially the way HSD eliminates the need to shift along with all the things that wear out as a result of said shifting. I suspect my new car does not have any belts to wear out (I know the Prius eliminated belts at some point). My old hybrid was absolutely the most reliable car I've ever owned. There is a lot to like about that.

Curious, what exactly do you think I should have purchased and what exactly would said vehicle do for me that the Camry doesn't?

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
and being in the economics and investment line of business, it's set to be cheap for the next 5-10 years from now...

LMAO. It's certainly possible, but a lot will depend on unpredictable things like PRC energy policies, OPEC quotas, political and economic stability in the gulf states, etc. etc.

No one has any clue what gas prices will be in a year, forget about 5 years.

Reactions: lakedude

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
The Camry hybrid is one of the highest milage cars you can buy making it similar to say an e-ink Kindle for battery life, yet the 208 horsepower gives it say core i5 level performance.

Nitpicks about the climate control and GPS aside the Camry is a darn nice car.

Boring is the new exciting.

I have kids so I could be driving a minivan...