2018-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4346783)

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
This just showed up for me on WU taking my build version to 17134.254.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4346783/windows-10-update-kb4346783

August 30, 2018—KB4346783 (OS Build 17134.254)

Applies to: Windows 10, version 1803
Release Date:
August 30, 2018

Version:
OS Build 17134.254
Improvements and fixes
This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:
  • Addresses an issue in Microsoft Foundation Class applications that may cause applications to flicker.
  • Addresses an issue where touch and mouse events were handled differently in Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) applications that have a transparent overlay window.
  • Addresses a reliability issue in applications that have extensive window nesting.
  • Addresses an issue in the Universal CRT that sometimes causes the AMD64 FMOD to return an incorrect result when given very large inputs.
  • Addresses an issue in the Universal CRT that causes the _get_pgmptr() function to return an empty string.
  • Addresses an issue in the Universal CRT that causes isprint() to return TRUE for a tab when using the C locale.
  • Addresses an issue where Microsoft Edge or other UWP applications can't perform client authentication when the private key is stored on a TPM 2.0 device.
  • Addresses an issue that causes computer certificate enrollment or renewal to fail with an "Access denied" error after installing the April 2018 update. This issue occurs when the registry process has a lower process ID (PID) than all other processes except SYSTEM.
  • Addresses an issue that, in some cases, failed to clear decrypted data from memory after a CAPI decryption operation was completed.
  • Addresses an issue that prevented the Device Guard PackageInspector.exe application from including all the files needed for an application to run correctly once the Code Integrity policy was completed.
  • Addresses an issue where not all network printers are connected after a user signs in. The HKEY_USERS\User\Printers\Connections key shows the correct network printers for the affected user; however, the missing list for network printers from this registry key isn't populated in any app, including Microsoft Notepad, or in Devices and Printers. Printers may disappear or stop functioning.
  • Addresses an issue that prevents printing on a 64-bit OS when 32-bit applications impersonate other users (typically by calling LogonUser). This issue occurs after installing monthly updates starting with KB4034681, released in August 2017. To resolve the issue for the affected applications, install this update, and then do one of the following:
    • Use Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit to globally enable the Splwow64Compat App Compat Shim
    • Use the following registry setting, and then restart the 32-bit application: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print Setting: Splwow64Compat
Type: DWORD
Value1: 1
  • Addresses an issue that causes the Wi-Fi EAP-TTLS (CHAP) authentication to fail if a user saves credential information before authentication.
  • Addresses an issue that causes devices that have 802.1x Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) enabled to randomly stop working with the stop code ”0xD1 DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL”. The issue occurs when the kernel memory pool becomes corrupted. Crashes will generally occur in nwifi.sys.
  • Addresses an issue that may remove a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) option from a reservation after changing the DHCP scope settings.
  • Extends the Key Management Service (KMS) to support the upcoming Windows 10 client Enterprise LTSC and Windows Server editions. For more information, see KB4347075.
If you installed earlier updates, only the new fixes in this package will be downloaded and installed on your device.
For more information about the resolved security vulnerabilities, see the Security Update Guide.
Known issues in this update
Symptom Workaround
Launching Microsoft Edge using the New Application Guard Window may fail; normal Microsoft Edge instances aren't affected.
If you’ve experienced the issue and already installed KB4343909, uninstall it.
  1. Install KB4340917.
  2. Install KB4343909.
Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
How to get this update
To download and install this update, go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and select Check for updates.
To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
File information
For a list of the files that are provided in this update, download the file information for cumulative update 4346783.
Last Updated: Aug 30, 2018

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
To follow up on this post it installed just fine on my desktop, however, it generates an error on my atom powered laptop each time I run WU to install it. Then I tried the standalone installer which also fails so there's probably an issue that will require another CU to address.

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
FWIW (quote from the above) - "This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update".

The general perception is that No new features included because in few week the Fall Update (probably 1809 aka Upgrade) would be out.

As we know these type of Update/Upgrade actually install a New OS.

I just defered the current Update.

:cool:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I have an old Gateway Laptop

I keep using it because it has a 16" screen, a KBD with back light, and it runs some old pro clinical software.

Esthetically it is one of the nicest Laptop that came out in the old days.

9172655cv2a.jpg

It came out in Vista time and works perfect with Win 7.

Out of curiosity, I upgraded the HD to an SSD and installed Win 10 in dual boot with the Win 7.

To my surprise Win 10 worked well too.

Then came out Upgrade 1709 (end of last year) and that was, it it can not go beyond 1703.1029

Why? because some thing in the 2008 Hardware prevents it from Going further.

In other words, No matter how Enthusiasts we are, in Win 10 the final word is always whatever MS "hyperbolic thinking" is about!

P.S. The above is not a Complain, it just an objective description of the complexity of real "Life".

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I had to manually reset the windows update catalog in order to complete this update on my laptop.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have an old Gateway Laptop
Then came out Upgrade 1709 (end of last year) and that was, it it can not go beyond 1703.1029

Why? because some thing in the 2008 Hardware prevents it from Going further.

Does the laptop include a built in web cam? If so, try uninstalling it in Device Manager prior to launching the 180x version Windows upgrade. In certain situations, any kind of image capture device such as a web cam, flatbed scanner, etc. showing up in Device Manager can/may de-rail the upgrade attempt. Should then continue to work okay after the upgrade.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
FWIW (quote from the above) - "This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update".

The general perception is that No new features included because in few week the Fall Update (probably 1809 aka Upgrade) would be out.

As we know these type of Update/Upgrade actually install a New OS.

I just defered the current Update.

Are new features sometimes included in Win10 cumulative updates then?

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Once in a while something minor will sneak in otherwise we wait for the Official fall release that RS5 will officially be called the Windows 10 October 2018 Update. That piece of info was lifted from This page
One of the neat things coming, clipboard will be able to store multiple clips for use at a later time.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999

The Updates in-between the twice a year Upgrade/Updates consists on improving the OS by fixing bugs, releasing security patches, and occasionally adding new feature.

Does the laptop include a built in web cam? If so, try uninstalling it in Device Manager prior to launching the 180x version Windows upgrade. In certain situations, any kind of image capture device such as a web cam, flatbed scanner, etc. showing up in Device Manager can/may de-rail the upgrade attempt. Should then continue to work okay after the upgrade.

There no WebCam, but the idea is a Good one. I'll try to uninstall some card readers and other similar none essential add-ons hardware.