*** 2016 NBA Playoff thread ***

Page 47 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
So why did lebron return to Cleveland after so much hate from cavs owner?

He could have gone to any # of less hostile and better teams after miami

I guess part of it was to be a hero. Part of it was probably for LeBron to fulfill his destiny as the man that would finally bring a championship to Cleveland.

When you think about how the stars had to align for all of this to come about it's crazy. The best player since Jordan, almost a local Cleveland guy just happens to be available in the draft where Cleveland has the first pick. If you lived in Ohio you had been hearing about James since he was in middle school. Everyone knew he was going to be something special. Because of that everyone was expecting championships in Cleveland and then he left. By coming "back home" he was finally able to do what everyone expected for so long and now he is truly a legend.

Going to any other team would just be James winning another championship. Impressive for sure, but not nearly in the same league as returning home and bringing a championship to a city that hasn't had one in 50 years.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Curry isn't soft but is physically weak, and Lue did a great job at throwing sets at him so that he was constantly under pressure to play defense. That can take a huge toll, and its also where you find out how great an offensive player someone is when they defend against the best opponent's scorer while still filling it up. Jordan...

Curry will put some meat on him during the off season, he'd be stupid not to, and that's why I think his offensive numbers have peaked, because some players just don't seem to do as well when their bodies change like that.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
It was hilarious how Kerr and Curry attacked Love, they wanted that match up and sought it out. Love owned them with those key defensive stops.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Curry isn't soft but is physically weak, and Lue did a great job at throwing sets at him so that he was constantly under pressure to play defense. That can take a huge toll, and its also where you find out how great an offensive player someone is when they defend against the best opponent's scorer while still filling it up. Jordan...

Curry will put some meat on him during the off season, he'd be stupid not to, and that's why I think his offensive numbers have peaked, because some players just don't seem to do as well when their bodies change like that.
No Curry will not "bulk up", when you're the best shooter and back to back MVP, he doesn't need to. What they do need is an inside presence. Someone they can rely on to make buckets on the inside and defend the inside. They don't have that. They need toughness. Green is their only tough guy.

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
No Curry will not "bulk up", when you're the best shooter and back to back MVP, he doesn't need to. What they do need is an inside presence. Someone they can rely on to make buckets on the inside and defend the inside. They don't have that. They need toughness. Green is their only tough guy.

All of this!

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001

Changing Curry into something that he's not seems silly. I agree, get the right players to compliment his style. While I don't doubt his shooting ability, I do feel he needs a lot more support to succeed than past MVP caliber players.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010

They need Livingston to bulk up lol! joking aside, I'm not sure how they are going to improve. If they get too big on the inside they will lose their transition speed and deft outside touch.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Changing Curry into something that he's not seems silly. I agree, get the right players to compliment his style. While I don't doubt his shooting ability, I do feel he needs a lot more support to succeed than past MVP caliber players.

so basically, Curry is an assassin and needs a tank and a healer to back him up.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

Curry was exposed when he had to be a two way player. Even if they get him Anthony David, it still won't change that when they get him switching to guarding anyone but a small PG, he does poorly on offense.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
so basically, Curry is an assassin and needs a tank and a healer to back him up.

Probably more of a wizard that ran out of mana and couldn't cast any spells. Klay is the assassin that is only good with backstabs.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
That block by James was one of the best non-fluke plays I have seen in the finals.

It reminds me of Jordan's hand switch against the Lakers. Jordan switched hands mid shot... because he could and no one was going to stop him.

When James came screaming down the court trailing the 2-on-1 she was moving at another speed and deliberate determination. It didn't matter if Curry or Iggy was going to shoot James was going to blow the 2-on-1 up. Not just amazing skill and determination, but James is an absolute "hustle" player. How many super stars have had the ability and effort to dominate at both ends of the floor and do all parts of the game at a high level?

I think I read James did end up leading all final players in Points, Rebounds, Assists, Steals, and Blocks (was tied on Rebounds entering the game).

I think it is too easy to get lulled into scorers, especially shooters, and forget defense and all the dirty little stuff matters. Those blocks on Curry and the last one on Iggy were huge mood/game changers. And getting +rebounds and +assists every night on top of scoring from whatever position James is playing is big. The fact he is the best player 1-5, probably on both sides of the court, and moves around to maximize matchups is huge. Unbelievable player. Glad he is 3-4 in the finals now, not 2-5, so we can stop hearing the negative Lebron narratives. The guy flat out balls and plays like a "bench effort player" who is scrapping for every minute of game time. But the dude is the best player on his time--and in the league--and played nearly every minute in most of the finals.
Iirc, Jordan's layup happened after they already got some separation, and the shot was more of a nail in the coffin. James' block was critical with the game still on the line. Both are epic finals play that to be replayed every June.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
So why did lebron return to Cleveland after so much hate from cavs owner?

He could have gone to any # of less hostile and better teams after miami
Read his SI.com essay explaining his return to Cleveland.

tygeezy

Aug 28, 2012
ClaXnFXUoAAnN9t.jpg

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Even if Warriors won game 7, they would not the the GOAT. They win one more than the Bulls in the regular season? Yep. Did they lose more than twice the amount in the playoffs than the Bulls? Yep. The Bulls didn't go to game 7 either. It's silly to argue that one regular season win more negates all the playoff loses.

Curry once again falters in the playoffs. And to claim he could shoot like he did this year, years ago when the NBA was rougher and rules were different is funny. Claiming he's the greatest shooter of all time based on two years work, both where he sucked on the biggest stage is just ignorant and wrong.

I hear people complain about 'bandwagon fans'. Who do you know that picked a sorry team to be a fan of when it wasn't their city's team? I'm sure if you traced it back, most people's favorite team started out because the team was good. I.e. aren't most of us 'bandwagon fans'?

Well I was born and raised in Alaska... we don't have a professional anything in sports. even where I live now we don't have a pro basketball team. I like certain players, and dislike certain players. Root for teams based on that. I liked the Warriors last year. I got fucking tired of hearing about them this year. They had a great year and stayed healthy. I got tried of Green being a dirty player so I rooted against them. I like James, no off court drama, like the other players. The city needed a win, and got it.

But I think they were talking about 5 years ago nobody was wearing the Warriors apparel, and now suddenly they are. Everywhere. Happens all the time with teams.

And that shirt worn by James is hilarious. He just died too, I remember him from way back in the day.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Iirc, Jordan's layup happened after they already got some separation, and the shot was more of a nail in the coffin. James' block was critical with the game still on the line. Both are epic finals play that to be replayed every June.

Jordan was already in the air when he saw Sam Perkins coming up to block him, so he switched hands mid-flight to neutralize the right-side block.

Yeah, he had gained separation from the first defender, but the move was a counter to Perkins coming in later.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I went back and re-watched the play again. There's a re-cap on ESPN's website on the main page. He wasn't just trailing. He came in from the opposite side of the court and lept from the middle of the lane to do that. Watching it in real time and then slow motion...the effort and timing. Insane. That was a debt he repaid to Iggy from a few possessions earlier when there was no call on the "block" Iggy had that showed all hand..no ball on replay. Lebron got "all ball" on his. :D

I'm sure the blocks he had on Curry seriously rattled him. I bet Steph was always hesitant that Lebron was coming from the weakside to swat away those floaters and reverse lobs he was used to getting. Lebron made it person this game.
I'm not sure what the rulebook says, but generally the shooter's hand is considered same as the ball? It's a good no call at that stage of the Finals. LB could've gotten that shot off left-handed but for some strange reason he went for a 2-handed lay-up.

That block shot isn't necessarily amazing in isolation, we know it's in LeBron's repertoire. But after gambling with just 1 minute's rest all game, and the score tied with both offenses drying up, he still had enough in the tank to make a game-saving play.

I'm a bit curious what LeBron barked at Steph after a couple blocked shots. Only reason they should ever mike up players. :) As far as making it personal, I feel a case could be made that the Warriors tickled a sleeping dragon after game 4 (or at the end of game 4 when Draymond called LB a bitch). LB was sleep-walking through that game, but they sure got his attention with the smack talk afterwards questioning his manhood.

Jordan was already in the air when he saw Sam Perkins coming up to block him, so he switched hands mid-flight to neutralize the right-side block.

Yeah, he had gained separation from the first defender, but the move was a counter to Perkins coming in later.
That's the conventional description of that play, but we all know Sam Perkins is too ground bound of a big man to contest MJ in 1991 (or any year for that matter). MJ did see Perkins off to the side, but it's not like he needed to switch hands to get a shot off.

Also it was a pretty sweet play (not knocking it above), but the Bulls demolished the Lakers in 1991. "The Block" arguably saved Game 7 when points were basically impossible to come by for both teams.