2016 Black Friday HDTV Megathread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I teied to snag one of BB's $199 Toshiba 50" 4k tv's...missed it by about 15 minutes. My fault...I misread the add for opening time. :(

Ended up with a Samsung 50" UHD set for $399. Not as good a deal...but probably a better set.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Wow...the forum reset deleted lots of posts...

I took the 50" UDHD back to Best Buy. I have Dish ZERO content available. 1080 looked like crap on the 4K set...gorgeous colors...but terrible picture.

I'll keep looking for a decent 1080 set.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
http://www.target.com/p/-/A-51362028?lnk=search

That 43" Element TV at Target is a 4K UHD Smart TV.

No mention of HDR though.

In-store only, and pretty-much every store close to me still has them in stock.

I think smaller, off-brand, and non-HDR 4K TVs aren't selling that well this season.

Edit: The sad fact is, there's very little legal 4K content right now. Sure, you can take a powerful PC, with a modern dGPU, and hook that all up, just to watch 4K YouTube clips, if you want to. But the average consumer isn't that much of a hardcore enthusiast to do that.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Was at Costco earlier for foodstuffs...go the display model of the Samsung UN65KS800DFXZA tv. It's a SUHD set...looked VERY nice connected to the 1080 DirecTV feed in the store. We'll see how it looks on Dish.I can always return it if I don't like it.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Was at Costco earlier for foodstuffs...go the display model of the Samsung UN65KS800DFXZA tv. It's a SUHD set...looked VERY nice connected to the 1080 DirecTV feed in the store. We'll see how it looks on Dish.I can always return it if I don't like it.
I was in between the ks8000 and the Sony xbrx850D. I went with the Sony since I liked the color representation, looked more natural to me and another thing I liked was the android tv. I like how I can cast anything from my phone to the tv instantly. 4k obviously looks amazing and it was also $100 cheaper than the Samsung.

I didn't like the legs on the side of the Samsung and it would have also required me to set it on the floor until I get a bigger tv stand but this is probably a non issue for most others.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Makes a great, large format computer monitor.

Yeah, pretty-much the reason to buy a smaller 4K UHD TV, is to use as a cheap 4K PC monitor. Which, incidentally, they are great at. But yeah, I see the point, for living-room watching, if you're going to invest in a 4K set, might as well "go large", like 65" or better. Prices aren't even that bad on a set that large, there was one off-brand (TCL, I think?) that had one for $599.

I got the Avera 40" 4K set, from Newegg on ebay, and just ordered a second last night for my other PC. I remember paying nearly that much for a 1920x1200 24" screen.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I was in between the ks8000 and the Sony xbrx850D. I went with the Sony since I liked the color representation, looked more natural to me and another thing I liked was the android tv. I like how I can cast anything from my phone to the tv instantly. 4k obviously looks amazing and it was also $100 cheaper than the Samsung.

I didn't like the legs on the side of the Samsung and it would have also required me to set it on the floor until I get a bigger tv stand but this is probably a non issue for most others.

I looked for one of the Sony 850's...none in my area. I've had pretty decent luck with Sony products over the years, and I've never been in the "OMG! Sony bad, blah-blah" camp. Their products have always been decent, and their support has always been top-notch for me.
I'm still not convinced that I'm going to keep this Sammy. Nice picture in the store...but...

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I looked for one of the Sony 850's...none in my area. I've had pretty decent luck with Sony products over the years, and I've never been in the "OMG! Sony bad, blah-blah" camp. Their products have always been decent, and their support has always been top-notch for me.
I'm still not convinced that I'm going to keep this Sammy. Nice picture in the store...but...
Yea I'm not a fanboy of any type of company either and I did like how the Samsung looked in the store but it was also playing a loop of images or slideshows vs the sony model side by side to a Samsung in the magnolia room playing an actual 4k movie.

Obviously 4k content isn't all available yet and even 1080p should scale fine, although it may look a bit different.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I swear...it's been a TV revolving door here. I took the Samsung 65" back to Costco today. It was just too big for the room...and too big for the stand I have for that room...ended up bringing home a Samsung 55" 620D 1080 set. Nice enough picture, but sadly, not nearly as clear as my 3 year old Panasonic 65" plasma. That thing has a crystal clear picture. I've never found an LCD screen as nice.

It's got a bit of screen burn...so far, nothing has helped with that, but it's a.minor annoyance, and not really noticeable most of the time.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Pulled the trigger in the dying hours of Cyber Monday... 65" Samsung 6300 for $899 PCRichard. Most places selling for $999.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Brag: I got a 55ks8000 for 729 from Samsung.com. The 60 would've been 850. To get the price your company has to be in their program, but everything I saw was way cheaper than BF pricing.
Yeah, I'd have loved to have gotten the 65" version. Grats.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Pulled the trigger in the dying hours of Cyber Monday... 65" Samsung 6300 for $899 PCRichard. Most places selling for $999.

The 6300 is the first set I brought home. Nice colors, but terrible picture on my Dish Network feed. Not sure if it's because I don't have any 4k content...or if it was just the screen.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I swear...it's been a TV revolving door here. I took the Samsung 65" back to Costco today. It was just too big for the room...and too big for the stand I have for that room...ended up bringing home a Samsung 55" 620D 1080 set. Nice enough picture, but sadly, not nearly as clear as my 3 year old Panasonic 65" plasma. That thing has a crystal clear picture. I've never found an LCD screen as nice.

It's got a bit of screen burn...so far, nothing has helped with that, but it's a.minor annoyance, and not really noticeable most of the time.

Too bad that Samsung was too big for you. The 8 series from Samsung is really nice! The 6 series are ok if you got it for a smoking deal.

Personally, from here on out, any new TV I get will be 4k. I tend to keep my TVs longer than five years and by then 4k content will be widely available. I have a plasma as well and the Samsung 8 series and higher would be a fair swap in terms of black levels (slight edge to the plasma), motion processing (again slight edge to the plasma), color (pretty even imo), but 4k makes it really nice.

Ideally I'd replace my plasma with a 4k oled, now that would be an upgrade!