2012 Steam Holiday Sale! DEAD!

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
This year sale was not as good as previous ones. I don't say this because I owned 90% of what was the daily/flash deals. I say this because a lot of games that have been on sale on Steam before (so many times) didn't even go on sale for those previously lower sale prices. Also we saw a lot of 50/66% off on games that previously we would have seen for 66/75% off instead (namely indie titles).

Personally I really miss the events they did, I liked the summer one with the prize booth, but I can understand why they aren't doing events and that is fine. My other problem with the sale is I much rather have dozen daily deals then 6 and having the flash deals/community votes. I am not a fan of the flash deals and community votes, they are 98% recycled anyways.

SpunkyJones

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2004
My haul this sale, primarily DLC:

Sleeping Dogs: Nightmare in North Point
Sleeping Dogs Top Dog Gold Pack
Sleeping Dogs: Top Dog DLC
Sleeping Dogs - Street Racer Pack DLC
Sleeping Dogs Square Enix Character Pack
Sleeping Dogs - Tactical Soldier Pack
Sleeping Dogs Screen Legends Pack
Sleeping Dogs Dragon Master Pack
Sleeping Dogs Ghost Pig Pack
Assassin's Creed Pack - Winter Sale 2012
Sleeping Dogs
Dishonored (ROW)
Doom 3: BFG Edition
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Explosion Pack DLC
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Tactical Pack DLC
Deus Ex Human Revolution: The Missing Link DLCk DLC

EDIT: fix format

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Snagged Mark of the Ninja (very fun game, needs co-op!) and Far Cry 3 for my bro. Not very impressed with the sale overall, but then again I did manage to get a game that I like as did my brother.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
Roughly $188 spent, but that includes some 4-packs I was reimbursed for part of, as well as some stuff for my son, and a few things that I bought for friends in the UK that was cheaper here stateside.

So, for me, about average. Also dropped probably $50-$75 on Amazon for their various PC game sales. Thank goodness for my company's generous Visa gift cards, makes these kinds of things more tolerable.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Personally I really miss the events they did, I liked the summer one with the prize booth, but I can understand why they aren't doing events and that is fine.

I think it's because of all the entitled 15-year-olds who, during last year's Christmas sale, whined and bitched to Valve about not winning enough free stuff.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I ordered the following from Steam:

They Bleed Pixels Collector's Edition
Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy
Borderlands 2 ROW (Gift)
Awesomenauts 3 pack
Awesomenauts - Costume Party DLC Bundle
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
Dead Rising 2 Complete Pack
Sonic Hits Collection Holiday 2012
Snapshot Game and Soundtrack Bundle
XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Elite Soldier Pack WW
Deadlight Game + Soundtrack Bundle
AVSEQ
To The Moon Game and Soundtrack Bundle
Symphony
Babel Rising
Babel Rising - DLC
Ace of Spades

I ordered a few other things from other places such as X-COM from GMG.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Only spent about $50, and the best game out of the bunch by far is FTL which was $2.50. Great game.

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
I think it's because of all the entitled 15-year-olds who, during last year's Christmas sale, whined and bitched to Valve about not winning enough free stuff.

I think its because of the huge amount of people that created alt accounts to farm coal from free games achievements...

LOTS of people...

Only spent about $50, and the best game out of the bunch by far is FTL which was $2.50. Great game.

Yeah, great game, i have been playing it a lot lately too, although i kinda got stuck cause i only unlocked 1 ship and i dont seem to be able to unlock the other ones, besides not being able to beat the boss after 23hs of playing it

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I picked up Dead Pixels for myself and one of the Sherlock Holmes games for my SO. I think I spent somewhere around $5.00 total.

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001
I bought Darksiders II and Dark Souls which I have had a hell of a time getting to run properly and that's with DSFix.

Went back to Guild Wars 2 in the interim.