2012 Steam Halloween Sale!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Grimbones

Jun 12, 2004
Yeah, if nobody has played the original Bioshock, please do yourself a favor. It is one of my top 5, if not top 2 games ever...it may even be #1. Between that and Red Dead Redemption...

Getting old sucks. No time for games...i have Darksiders 2 burning a hole in my hard drive, and i even bought a controller for it (it helps a lot, IMO). For some reason i feel like i want to buy orcs must die 2, and costume quest for some reason...

Edit: Also, fallout 3 was pretty enjoyable...love the open world exploration thing...

Last edited:

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Eh, guess I have all the horror-type games I want so far. Still working through my backlog from the last major sale.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Halloween sale has never been a big thing on Steam. Though the sale isn't bad, of course there will be old games on sale, pretty much everything that is horror/creepy/etc is on sale that they carry.

Some good sales for halloween, but I think the 50% off are going to go lower during the holiday/christmas/new years sale

We only have a month and a half until the holiday sale.

This the only sale until Summer 2013?

Chirstmas / new years sale usually starts around December 15th or 17th, somewhere in there and and usually goes through January 3rd.

That is the biggest sale of the year.

The holiday sale is when I buy most of my games.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Playing Prototype on a modern system truly sucks. It can't even figure out a a graphics card with with greater than 512MB of memory on it, and will force you to play at 1280x720 on a current card. And even then it runs so slooooowwwwww.

cleggholdfast

Oct 30, 2012
I picked up Burn Zombies Burn and All Zombies Must Die double-pack (with DLC and soundtracks). I like dual-stick shooters and both of these hit the spot - and both seem much better than Bunch of Heroes. All three remind me of Zombies Ate My Neighbors from the Genesis days, which can only be a good thing.

Finally got Cthulhu Saves the World/Breath of Death VII. Gave both a quick spin. Very funny, although throwback RPGs may not be my thing.

I grabbed Home (side-scrolling adventure, in pixels). Played a few minutes; pretty interesting. I don't remember hearing much about it when it was released.

Any thoughts on Tower Wars?

Oct 25, 2006
I'm actually thinking of picking up some of the cheap Sherlock holmes games just to try em out.

Anyone have anything to say about them

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I picked up Burn Zombies Burn and All Zombies Must Die double-pack (with DLC and soundtracks). I like dual-stick shooters and both of these hit the spot - and both seem much better than Bunch of Heroes. All three remind me of Zombies Ate My Neighbors from the Genesis days, which can only be a good thing.

Finally got Cthulhu Saves the World/Breath of Death VII. Gave both a quick spin. Very funny, although throwback RPGs may not be my thing.

I grabbed Home (side-scrolling adventure, in pixels). Played a few minutes; pretty interesting. I don't remember hearing much about it when it was released.

Any thoughts on Tower Wars?

I got tower wars a couple months ago. Its OK, they tried to combine tug-of-war with tower defense and its a mixed blessing. Gameplay is decent. BUT, the only single player is the tutorials and a couple special test levels. The actual game is online only, and others players are tough to find (small community).

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
If you still haven't purchased The Walking Dead: Do yourself a favor and buy it.

In fact, you're actually LOSING money by not buying this game. Yup. I’m being dead serious. No really; think about it.

You have nothing to do on the weekend, right? So you buy a beer. A beer leads to two beers. Two beers lead to wandering around in a strange, dangerous neighborhood. You meet a woman on the street, and she asks if you want a good time. Might as well... you’ve got nothing to do anyways. Suddenly it leads to cocaine, and some more hookers. Fast forward five hours later, and you're getting beaten up and arrested in Las Vegas because you tried to insert your penis into a slot machine. All because you didn't buy The Walking Dead.

Is this the kind of life you want to live?

Fine, I bought it! :p

I got it at GameFly just now, offered at the same price $14.99 but there's a 20% coupon code that I can apply it's only $11.99 :thumbsup:

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I swear LessThanDan is an undercover steam employee. He up talks a lot of games and encourages people to buy everything lol.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Mutant Blobs Attack is a good platformer, if a bit short. I played it on the vita and it was excellent on that and well worth the few bucks Steam is charging.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I swear LessThanDan is an undercover steam employee. He up talks a lot of games and encourages people to buy everything lol.

He is right in this case. The Walking Dead is one of the best games made in years. It is on another level of awesome. I don't think I have ever played another game like it.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I just read that Prototype 1 & 2 + DLC will be $12.50 @ Amazon.
Don't know the full details (like when), I just know what the man (Tony) said.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10102104&postcount=3478

I assume it is going to be very soon.

Awww yes. I don't own either of the Prototype games yet, so that would be a wonderful deal.

I wish.

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
i didnt get interested in almost anything from the helloween sale...

only OMD2, but ill wait for a 75% for that one

fallout 3 - new vegas at 50% is a joke when it has been at 75% all the time

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
i didnt get interested in almost anything from the helloween sale...

only OMD2, but ill wait for a 75% for that one

fallout 3 - new vegas at 50% is a joke when it has been at 75% all the time

I know its many years late but a lot of folks have suggested those games need demos. I dont even know how you could do that. The bulk of the game play is spent wandering around the wilderness. Maybe give you the full surface map but only one small town and one dungeon/vault?

cleggholdfast

Oct 30, 2012
I got tower wars a couple months ago. Its OK, they tried to combine tug-of-war with tower defense and its a mixed blessing. Gameplay is decent. BUT, the only single player is the tutorials and a couple special test levels. The actual game is online only, and others players are tough to find (small community).

Thanks Shorty, good to know. I prefer a bit more focus on single player with tower defense-type games, so I'll pass.

On a related note (strategy indie-wise), I finally picked up Atom Zombie Smasher. It's great, dunno why it took me so long to get it, considering that Steam has it on sale pretty frequently.

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
Thanks Shorty, good to know. I prefer a bit more focus on single player with tower defense-type games, so I'll pass.

On a related note (strategy indie-wise), I finally picked up Atom Zombie Smasher. It's great, dunno why it took me so long to get it, considering that Steam has it on sale pretty frequently.

Its SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good. havent played it in a while, need to pick it up again.

Artista

Jan 7, 2011
I want to say that the person who started this thread is to blame for my behavior and my wasting my hard earned money!

So now instead of mowing the yard, studying or spending quality time with loved ones I will be spending it in front of my gaming PC until the wee hours of the night losing sleep and killing electronic monsters!

Damn you! :)

Picked up Bioshock, FEAR (my hardcopy went bad), Left 4 Dead and Dead Space!

Any (other) good First Person Shooters in that list? (I prefer FPS)

Last edited:

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I want to say that the person who started this thread is to blame for my behavior and my wasting my hard earned money!

So now instead of mowing the yard, studying or spending quality time with loved ones I will be spending it in front of my gaming PC until the wee hours of the night losing sleep and killing electronic monsters!

Picked up Bioshock, FEAR (my hardcopy went bad), Left 4 Dead and Dead Space!

Damn you! :)

That bastard, you should probably just buy your games as gifts and send them to him instead, that will teach him!