2008 gaming?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

9mak9

Dec 3, 2007
very interesting to look at that list...some of those games seem very cool and some ive been waiting for JA3, Heavy Rain (another adventure game made by the same people who made indigo prophecy) and a few others

i think the biggest trend or outlook for 2008 is new advancements in technology...the way the gaming industry has exponentially increased over the past 4-5 years, u can look at 2007 and see the gaming industry hit a peak with all the high profile games and then a game like crysis which pushed the bar higher...and as ja1484 said innovations like guitar hero, wii and portal will make gaming companies think of new ways to push into the market...

so the challenge for 2008...do something we havent seen yet or expand on a popular idea and make it better...simple :) that is what I am most excited to see in the upcoming year

klipschman

Dec 30, 2005
I can't believe none of you are looking forward to my #1 most anticipated game...

LEFT 4 FREAKING DEAD!!!!!

Zomg its going to be awesome. Hopefully marchish? but I got a feeling its gonna be like june before we get it

www.l4d.com

livingsacrifice

Jul 16, 2001
Only 2008 game I'm remotely interested in is the Wow Expansion but not really cus then that makes another 10 levels I have to grind to get my character up.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
New mechwarrior maybe, since the rights got acquired to make it? Sims like the originals, but with modern graphics & physics? woot!

Master of Magic 2 perhaps? I think Atari said they had the rights to the franchise from Microprose and were considering making it...

RoN2 plzkthxbye! (RoN - best RTS of all time IMO, RoL sucked though).

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: ja1484
And there was some innovating stuff in there - The Guitar Hero/Rock Band Saga continues to impress, and Nintendo is always doing interesting stuff with the Wii and DS.

Am I the only one who isn't even remotely interested in "rhythm games"?

It's like SIMON with better graphics and an expensive prop.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Yeah, we need Rise of Nations 2, but I don't think it's going to even be announced this year, sadly. The RoN team was busy doing Age of Empires 3 The Asian Dynasties, while the main RoN is working on an RPG.

No news besides that. :(

Btw, BladeVenom, that list looks unbefuckingleviable. Some of the stuff looks like shit, but some looks really cool.

9mak9

Dec 3, 2007
ill be happy with a new bioware game if dragon age comes out at some point...or they release mass effect into the pc world

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: 9mak9
blizzard has spent so much time on warcraft (which is one of my favorite franchises of all times, i just refused to pay a monthly charge for a game) as well they should with all the success but they have have just left the other 2 games which were prob more popular when warcraft 3 came out...who knows when they will finally finish up on diablo or starcraft

Starcraft II was a major cornerstone for both the Korean event they had as well as BlizzCon 07. They have been working quite a bit on it. ;)

Blizz has always been known for keeping things hush hush so who knows how much time and money is being dumped on their other franchises and new projects. We already know about their super secret project that is in the works even though we do not know for sure what it will be. Of course, they are also known for taking their time and amen to that. I believe that is the biggest reason for the quality of their games.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: QueBert
Originally posted by: bamacre
Hopefully GTA4 will be out for PC by the end of the year.

Oh, and could we see Mafia 2 out by the end of the year as well?

will GTA4 even be out for the PS3 by years end? we never get GTA anytime close to the PS. I would be surprised if we got it before late 2009 to be honest. Us PC's are an after thought it seems.

Now if Mafia 2 comes out in 08 and is as good (or better) than the original I don't even care about GTA.

I see Q2 2008 for PS3 version of GTA4. So, I guess we won't see the PC version out until 2009.

9mak9

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Xavier434
blizzard has spent so much time on warcraft (which is one of my favorite franchises of all times, i just refused to pay a monthly charge for a game) as well they should with all the success but they have have just left the other 2 games which were prob more popular when warcraft 3 came out...who knows when they will finally finish up on diablo or starcraft

Starcraft II was a major cornerstone for both the Korean event they had as well as BlizzCon 07. They have been working quite a bit on it. ;)

Blizz has always been known for keeping things hush hush so who knows how much time and money is being dumped on their other franchises and new projects. We already know about their super secret project that is in the works even though we do not know for sure what it will be. Of course, they are also known for taking their time and amen to that. I believe that is the biggest reason for the quality of their games.

Also since the merger heres to hoping for much bigger and better projects :)

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: potato28
Originally posted by: TehMac
2008 RTS:
Empire: Total War
CoH 2(???????) (Or something like, I hope)
Star Craft 2

2008 FPS
Far Cry 2
Battlefield 3 (hopefully)

2008 RPG
Fallout 3
Dargon Age (!!!!????!!???)

yeah, it doesn't look too good so far, but I hope the game announcements this year are good. I'm dying to know what Ensemble Studios is up to. I also want to know what Rick Goodman and Chris Beatrice are developing together at this point.

Star Craft 2 won't be coming out this year. Maybe next year.

ill be supprised if SC2 comes out this decade

the next WoW expansion WOTLK will prob come out at the end of 08

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

I have mixed feelings about that but it is probably due to paranoia more than anything. Blizz is just so damn good at maintaining quality in comparison to other game developers. What I do not want to see is that getting tainted by the habits of Activision. I have no clue if that is likely or not though which is where the paranoia comes in.

9mak9

Dec 3, 2007

I have mixed feelings about that but it is probably due to paranoia more than anything. Blizz is just so damn good at maintaining quality in comparison to other game developers. What I do not want to see is that getting tainted by the habits of Activision. I have no clue if that is likely or not though which is where the paranoia comes in.

dont say that ull make me paranoid also :Q

I think blizzard has their own way and Im hoping that they stick to their principals and maybe they can corrupt activision in a good way

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006

And pray, how do you know?

I don't care, haven't played Starcraft, so it's not a big whoop to me.

Originally posted by: EvilComputer92Battlefield 3 and Fallout 3 are very unlikely as well, both will probably be ready be 2009.

Supposedly, a beta comes out this summer for BF3 (according to the semi, not so much press release from EA), and PC Gamer said as far as they knew, Fallout 3 was expected in 2008.

And I don't have high hopes for Spore, my brother was talking to Will Wright, and Wright told my brother that he thought the xbox 360 was the future. :thumbsdown:

And my brother being a total n00b, totally believed him, and came down, and told me that "teh xbox 360 is the future!!!11!!" :confused:

:frown:

9mak9

Dec 3, 2007
i think the spore idea is genius and has been getting high acclaim for awhile (its been in the works forever) and I will def be purcashing it as long as it gets a decent mark...doesnt need to be to notch but I am very interested to see how they move along in this game

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Looking forward to Assassin's Creed in the immediate future. After that AoC or maybe WAR. Were some awesome titles in there although not sure how many are legit or will make it out of production in 2008. Good to see lots of games planning to use UE3.0, including an MMOFPS called Huxley. Also saw some familiar studio names in there from teams I haven't heard much of lately, like Microforte and S2, the studio that made Savage.

9mak9

Dec 3, 2007

Originally posted by: EvilComputer92Battlefield 3 and Fallout 3 are very unlikely as well, both will probably be ready be 2009.

Supposedly, a beta comes out this summer for BF3 (according to the semi, not so much press release from EA), and PC Gamer said as far as they knew, Fallout 3 was expected in 2008.

And I don't have high hopes for Spore, my brother was talking to Will Wright, and Wright told my brother that he thought the xbox 360 was the future. :thumbsdown:

And my brother being a total n00b, totally believed him, and came down, and told me that "teh xbox 360 is the future!!!11!!" :confused:

didnt will wright create simcity and sims? based solely on those i have some high hopes and expectations for spore

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005

I wouldn't believe your brother. The Sims outsold anything ever on the Xbox or the 360, same for the The Sims 2.

Spore will sell as well as Halo 3, or better, and they won't even have to over hype it with over $20 milllion in advertising to get people to buy it.

Starcraft 2 will easily beat Halo 3 in sales.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006

didnt will wright create simcity and sims? based solely on those i have some high hopes and expectations for spore

Yeah he did, but thats when consoles didn't exist, or when the PC was a thinking man's (still is) machine for games.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: BladeVenom

I wouldn't believe your brother. The Sims outsold anything ever on the Xbox or the 360, same for the The Sims 2.

Spore will sell as well as Halo 3, or better, and they won't even have to over hype it with over $20 milllion in advertising to get people to buy it.

Starcraft 2 will easily beat Halo 3 in sales.

No, my brother is just really into making money, and at this point, I suppose great profits can be reaped on the 360, but if he's going into the gaming business, I'm going in with him, and I'll make sure whatever it is will be coming out for the PC.

But that's a huge if, and won't be for a decade perhaps. :(

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
I don't give a shit, tbf, I just want Empire Total War and CoH 2 or w.e.

I'd like Age of Empires 4 to be announced this year, and FFS be in the ancient period.

JohnAn2112

Diamond Member
May 8, 2003
I'm looking forward to WoW: Wrath of the Lich King and Warhammer: Age of Reckoning.