2007 Mustang Cobra to be unveiled at New York Auto Show

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Did anyone read what it says in lower right corner:
SVT Ford Fusion could have AWD and 300 HP :)

cosine17

Dec 15, 2004
i admit the new mustangs are awesome, but they should have killed it between 73-04 and they should have NEVER offered a v6 auto girly version without calling it something different, like what pontiac did with the firebird/trans am.

so yeah, they can make it as good as they want, but the stang will never even come close to its former glory.

MasterAndCommander

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2004
Originally posted by: TheLonelyPhoenix
Originally posted by: MasterAndCommander
Yeah, yeah...no IRS...blah, blah, blah...cry me a river. The Ford Motorsports 2005 Mustang GT version has a solid rear axle and whipped up on the BMW's and Porsche's at the Grand Am 200 this past weekend. Read it and weep 'stang h8r's! http://www.grandamerican.com/News/Article.asp?ID=3626

That car wasn't running on a live-axle, buddy.

I'll repeat from a previous thread on the matter:

The (FRT) Ford Racing Team "Boy Racer" is a stock 05 Mustang with the interior removed, body structure is seam welded, carbon fibre hood, FRT 5.0L Cammer engine, fuel cell, roll cage, re-tuned suspension (still has the same front strut and solid rear axle as stock configuration), bigger brakes, and race wheels & tires.

The fact that the winning team only had the car for two days prior to the race just reitterates how good this car is. Like the production car, it's easy to drive with a very capable chassis.

Ha-Ha! Take that BMW M3 and Porsche zealots!!! You were whipped by a car that has "stone age" live axle set up!

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Yeah, yeah...no IRS...blah, blah, blah...cry me a river. The Ford Motorsports 2005 Mustang GT version has a solid rear axle and whipped up on the BMW's and Porsche's at the Grand Am 200 this past weekend. Read it and weep 'stang h8r's! http://www.grandamerican.com/News/Article.asp?ID=3626

The (FRT) Ford Racing Team "Boy Racer" is a stock 05 Mustang with the interior removed, body structure is seam welded, carbon fibre hood, FRT 5.0L Cammer engine, fuel cell, roll cage, re-tuned suspension (still has the same front strut and solid rear axle as stock configuration), bigger brakes, and race wheels & tires.

The fact that the winning team only had the car for two days prior to the race just reitterates how good this car is. Like the production car, it's easy to drive with a very capable chassis.

Ha-Ha! Take that BMW M3 and Porsche zealots!!! You were whipped by a car that has "stone age" live axle set up!

The Daytona infield road course isn't exactyly tight and twisty either... :p ;)

Just kidding... its always impressive for a car to win its debut race especially in the company of proven regulars. I'm thinking of buying a GT in the future... and now that the Cobra wont have IRS... I won't have too much penis envy if i see one on the road. :D

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

Ha, dumbass got PWNED.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but i think it will be around $50-$60k . I heard the GT's 550HP motor goes for around $40k alone.

keep smoking whatever you're smoking...

MasterAndCommander

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2004
Originally posted by: halik
I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but i think it will be around $50-$60k . I heard the GT's 550HP motor goes for around $40k alone.

keep smoking whatever you're smoking...

I don't smoke, but I do drink :beer: :beer: :beer: :D

Ok...maybe $60k sounds steep...It definitely won't be in the $30's if it has 5.4L S/C 550HP engine like in the Ford GT - cause if it was, there would be a "For Sale" sign on my 'stang. The Ford GT retails around $155K...usually going for over $200k. Why would Ford sell something that would come close to competing with it for 1/5 the price? It's definitely gotta be more expensive than the previous generation of SVT Snakes.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: cosine17
i admit the new mustangs are awesome, but they should have killed it between 73-04 and they should have NEVER offered a v6 auto girly version without calling it something different, like what pontiac did with the firebird/trans am.

so yeah, they can make it as good as they want, but the stang will never even come close to its former glory.

There have always been a "girly version" available in the stang. Its what keeps the manly versions cheap.

redly

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: notfred
3-valve heads? That's not going to be good marketing coming from a Cobra that's had 4-valve heads since 1996.

Screw marketing...465hp > marketing.

OMFG..yeah, how many valves a motor has totally overrides how much power a car has in any man's decision making process

TheLonelyPhoenix

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, okay, I guess it was. :D GG.

Still not stock though. :p

Originally posted by: Syringer

Ha, dumbass got PWNED.

SPIDER got BANNED, bitch.

KevinH

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2000
Okay can someone explain what the difference between live/solid axle and what IVS thingie is? Tx :).

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
Originally posted by: KevinH
Okay can someone explain what the difference between live/solid axle and what IVS thingie is? Tx :).

Live/solid axle is just what it sounds like, one solid axle that both rear tires are attached to, when you hit a bump with one tire, both are affected because the whole axle moves up and down.

IRS (independent rear suspension) is basically both tires having their own mini axle and operate independently. Hit a bump with one side and the other side doesn't notice it.

(for you car nuts, this is a very simplified version, no dogging on me! :p)

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Yeah, yeah...no IRS...blah, blah, blah...cry me a river. The Ford Motorsports 2005 Mustang GT version has a solid rear axle and whipped up on the BMW's and Porsche's at the Grand Am 200 this past weekend. Read it and weep 'stang h8r's!

Wow, a 550hp brute muscled it's way past the good cars on a speedway. We all know how technical those courses are, right? :roll:

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Nebor
Yeah, yeah...no IRS...blah, blah, blah...cry me a river. The Ford Motorsports 2005 Mustang GT version has a solid rear axle and whipped up on the BMW's and Porsche's at the Grand Am 200 this past weekend. Read it and weep 'stang h8r's!

Wow, a 550hp brute muscled it's way past the good cars on a speedway. We all know how technical those courses are, right? :roll:

think they were using the 300hp version... I hope...

could have been competing with the m3 or m5, but nahh that wouldnt have been fair for the mustang :p

btw. not dissing the mustang, love it, hope to own one one day

Tylanner

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2004
Bump for update of close up pics - top of original thread. Sounds like the Cobra does have the same supercharged 5.4L powerplant as the Ford GT

Even with all the bells and whistles?

MSRP has gotta be higher than any other stang ever.....