2007: Best PC Gaming year ever ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: BD2003
The only problem is that the VAST majority of the good games this year are coming out around now. Could have used quite a bit more spacing out. The beginning of this year was just one bomb after another IMO.

Not just that...last year I don't remember there being much. Oblivion came out which was great, but I had really been hurting for something good before that and I got nothing. Now there's like a million good games coming out all at once so I don't even know what to play!

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: MrUniq
Just played the Jericho demo twice..the graphics are outstanding (better than UT 3). It's pretty fun too if not nerve racking b/c of the HUGE detail in the characters.

I found Jericho to be too muddy and dark. Graphics better than UT3? I don't think so...there is very little aside from rocks and your basic zombie enemies.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper
Originally posted by: Zenoth
Unreal Tournament 3
BioShock
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
World in Conflict
TimeShift
Call of Duty 4
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition

All of the above are overhyped and range from extremely average to garbage. Lost Planet probably gets the award for laziest and buggiest conversion from a console game ever, what a diabolical POS. I left Crysis out as I haven't played it, the beta comments haven't been promising though.

I haven't played HL2:EP2 yet but I imagine it'll be more of the same and I'm fine with that.

Games that I enjoyed this year:

Portal
Quake Wars
Supreme Commander

Portal leads the way in showing lazy/clueless developers how it should be done.
I really liked STALKER, CoD4, and UT3 - I've played the CoD4 demo 3 times, I was just playing the UT3 demo for 2 hours, and STALKER is just great. Unfortunately it runs badly on my machine, so I put it down til I can get a new gfx card. World In Conflict is definitely very mediocre though - nice graphics but stupid gameplay.

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
There are a lot of games out this year that I really want to play: Bioshock, COD4, Crysis, all of the Orange box games.

2004 was really the year that made me want to upgrade. There were Far Cry, HL2 UT2k4. That was the year I got into my first batch of games since the early to mid 90s (Doom2, Quake2, Civ2).

After playing COD4 I'm going to grab COD2 out of the bargain bin and give it a try.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
It has been a very good year. My only complaint is that many of these games were very short. But overall it has been an excellent year for PC gaming. :)

bullbert

May 24, 2004
If you have gone back to play a lot of games from pre-2007, that is an indication that 2007 has NOT been a very good year. Ask yourselves, what percentage of total PC gaming time was spent playing pre-2007 games including BOTH solo and multiplayer.

Also the opinion of noobs that have only seriously played PC games for a year, should be taken with a grain of salt.

I am still think a year like 1998/99 might have been the best PC gaming year ever.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper
Originally posted by: Zenoth
Unreal Tournament 3
BioShock
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
World in Conflict
TimeShift
Call of Duty 4
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition

All of the above are overhyped and range from extremely average to garbage. Lost Planet probably gets the award for laziest and buggiest conversion from a console game ever, what a diabolical POS. I left Crysis out as I haven't played it, the beta comments haven't been promising though.

I agree with that. I can honestly say though, IMO, that Crysis is really quite impressive. It's one of the few games that has genuinely impressed me in a number of ways. It's only achilles heel that I can anticipate is its possibly poor performance.