2007: Best PC Gaming year ever ?

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I believe that this year is truly a memorable PC gaming year, in fact I think that it might well be the very best for our beloved platform since gaming exists on it (well, as far as I can remember myself, that's for sure). I'm not old though, so of course I haven't actually lived all the years of gaming on for the PC since "it exists" per se, but I have tried a fast Google search yesterday, and took some time to check out some releases in the past decade, and I can't remember when gaming had such a nice influence, originality and quality on the PC market than this very year. Maybe it's all too subjective, but still ... out of mere curiosity I made this thread.

So what say you ? Have you ever lived through a much, or relatively better year for PC gaming ? If so, can you say when and which games that came out that particular year made 2007 look inferior ? I can remember that 2006 was particularly nice, but 2007 ? I think it blows any previous years for gaming out of the water by a thousand miles (at least on the PC, which is the platform of the subject here).

Here is a list of "known" titles that are available since the year began, or will be available before the end of this year:

F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
Left 4 Dead
Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Team Fortress 2
Portal
Unreal Tournament 3
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion -The Shivering Isles-
BioShock
Crysis
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
Universe at War: Earth Assault
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War -Dark Crusade-
Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
Lords of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar
Overlord
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2
Medieval II: Total War: Kingdoms
World in Conflict
Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
Tabula Rasa
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
Age of Empires III: The Asian Dynasties
Hellgate: London
Empire Earth III
EverQuest II: Rise of Kunark
Gears of War
XIII Century: Death or Glory
TimeShift
Call of Duty 4
Jericho
Galactic Civilizations II: Dark Avatar
Medal of Honor: Airborne
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
Guild Wars: Eye of the North
The Witcher
SimCity Societies
Civilizations IV: Beyond the Sword

And others I might have forgotten ...

Discuss !

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Year isnt over yet. Crysis could change things or it may not. Other games due out before Xmas too. So far I see it as a good year. Best? Dunno yet.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
I honestly can't remember a better year in PC gaming. And it's kinda funny with all the people saying that PC gaming is dying quickly. The only thing in trouble is the video card market, and that seems to be coming back to life in a month. But, yeah - I've been playing HL2: Episode 2 and UT3 since 3:30. It's awesome.

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
I would have to say yeah. There is a few games I'm playing and wanting to play this year. Before I was lucky to get two games a year that interested me.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
definitely one of the better years. only disappointment is that the genres are pretty much limited to FPS, RTS, and RPG.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Zenoth
I believe that this year is truly a memorable PC gaming year, in fact I think that it might well be the very best for our beloved platform since gaming exists on it (well, as far as I can remember myself, that's for sure). I'm not old though, so of course I haven't actually lived all the years of gaming on for the PC since "it exists" per se, but I have tried a fast Google search yesterday, and took some time to check out some releases in the past decade, and I can't remember when gaming had such a nice influence, originality and quality on the PC market than this very year. Maybe it's all too subjective, but still ... out of mere curiosity I made this thread.

So what say you ? Have you ever lived through a much, or relatively better year for PC gaming ? If so, can you say when and which games that came out that particular year made 2007 look inferior ? I can remember that 2006 was particularly nice, but 2007 ? I think it blows any previous years for gaming out of the water by a thousand miles (at least on the PC, which is the platform of the subject here).

Here is a list of "known" titles that are available since the year began, or will be available before the end of this year:

F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate - FEAR sucked. can't imagine this will be any better/
Supreme Commander - sucked
Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance - expansion for suck
Left 4 Dead
Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Team Fortress 2 - fun for a little bit
Portal - awesomeness overload! too short though.
Unreal Tournament 3
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion -The Shivering Isles- - Oblivion sucked
BioShock - awesome game
Crysis - MP sucks ass, maybe SP will redeem it?
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl - awesome
Universe at War: Earth Assault
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War -Dark Crusade-
Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars - not as good as previous C&C games
Lords of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar - another boring MMO
Overlord - fun for a little bit then gets extremely repetitive
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2
Medieval II: Total War: Kingdoms
World in Conflict - bleh
Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars - sucky bf2 clone
Tabula Rasa - craptacular mmo
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
Age of Empires III: The Asian Dynasties
Hellgate: London
Empire Earth III
EverQuest II: Rise of Kunark
Gears of War
XIII Century: Death or Glory
TimeShift

And others I might have forgotten ...

Discuss !

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: SOSTrooper
I think Call of Duty 4 and Jericho deserves some mentioning as well.

Thanks for the heads up. I've edited the list.

By the way, what's Jericho ? I never heard of that one.

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
Originally posted by: CrystalBay
How about OCT/NOV 07 as the best Two months ever...

Seriously. The amount of games coming out in these two months is absurd, after which months and months will go buy until next fall with no major realeases.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
2007 is certainly shaping up to be much better than the last few years, but not all-time. That would be 1999 by a long way as far as I'm concerned.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I think PC gaming has always had great years if your the type like me who enjoys just about every genre.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Personally, I love RPGs and FPSs, with the occasional awesome RTS (I LOVE Company of Heroes). There are too many great FPSs coming out this year to count, a couple of RPGs, and some notable RTSs. This is one of those years where games have actually gone under the radar until near release. I had never heard about MoH: Airborne or CoD4 until a couple months before release.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
2007 is the year that Bioware died, therefore it is the worst year in gaming history.... at least for me.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I been into pc gaming since late 1993 and every year there are some people that say pc gaming is dying or will soon be dead. Some that say that want it to happen because they are console fanbois and some say it just to create discord or discussion. I dont even listen to that drivel anymore. Some years are better than others obviously. This we have already seen. Considering it takes 18-36 months for a game developer to make a good pc game you are going to get some down years. Some people say it runs in cycles and thats probably true. I dont even worry about it. Not worth it IMHO.

slpaulson

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2000
One of the best years I can think of.

It's been a long time since I've been excited about so many games.

Plumcuda1

Jan 1, 2005
Well EA did an really bad job marketing and supporting the game ... but Medal of Honor Airborne should be on there. If they would come out with a decent patch it would be a pretty good multiplayer game.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy
It's one of the better years, but not the best. I'll still take 2000 over any of them.

Hmmm, 2000 you say ?

From memory I can remember that Diablo II, quite a memorable game, was released indeed in 2000. But, can you name me others please ? I need to refresh my memory, my Google search from yesterday certainly left lots of details, titles, names, dates and more behind.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
From playing 3 betas and 1 demo:

UT3
Frontlines Fuel of War
Crysis
COD-4

I can say without equivocation that Crysis is so far beyond these other games in terms of sophistication, graphics, feel, intensity, atmosphere... UT3 is decent but Crysis truly is an order of magnitude beyond these games based upon the 5 so far.

Opterpwn

Feb 22, 2006
A couple more to add to the list:

Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
Guild Wars: Eye of the North

And an upcoming title that looks promising:

The Witcher

Yes I would have to say this is the best year that I can remember since 1999 as 1 poster already stated. That year there was ut99, Quake 3, The CS and TFC mods for HL, Starcraft, and Everquest that I can remember off the top of my head.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: CP5670
2007 is certainly shaping up to be much better than the last few years, but not all-time. That would be 1999 by a long way as far as I'm concerned.
Ditto.
2007 is far from the best.
Its simply the best after a multi-year dive bomb in PC gaming.

Some decent little sleepers have snuck up on us, and Crysis looks like it might not actually suck balls like all the other over-hyped titles we've seen lately.

2007 is just OK, but it was to be expected after so many rotten years in a row.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Zenoth
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy
It's one of the better years, but not the best. I'll still take 2000 over any of them.

Hmmm, 2000 you say ?

From memory I can remember that Diablo II, quite a memorable game, was released indeed in 2000. But, can you name me others please ? I need to refresh my memory, my Google search from yesterday certainly left lots of details, titles, names, dates and more behind.

Baldur's Gate II, Counter-Strike (official release version), Deus Ex, Hitman: Codename 47 (hey, it did spawn three great sequels), Icewind Dale, and Thief II are all notable. Although I haven't played them, American McGee's Alice, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, and The Longest Journey seem to get quite a bit of praise as well from what I've read.

Deus Ex is really what makes the year for me. :D