2004 Lexus LS430 vs 2007 Toyota Avalon Limited...HELP!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DVad3r

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2005
^

Nice, I bet you don't drive your cars for long either. Do you use synthetic? A good synthetic at that?

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
^

Nice, I bet you don't drive your cars for long either. Do you use synthetic? A good synthetic at that?

Yeah, Castrol Syntec, with the approved VW logo on it (I think it's 502. spec.) I keep a bottle in the back to top off, but ever since the first 1000 miles, it doesn't drop at all.

Had the car for 2 years, 4 months, and don't plan to keep it much longer.

Why? Is it bad to change it so often?

DVad3r

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2005
Yeah, Castrol Syntec, with the approved VW logo on it (I think it's 502. spec.) I keep a bottle in the back to top off, but ever since the first 1000 miles, it doesn't drop at all.

Had the car for 2 years, 4 months, and don't plan to keep it much longer.

Why? Is it bad to change it so often?

No, but it's bad when you don't change it often or at least at regular intervals. If you have a good quality synthetic I'd say you can go 6 months easy in it granted you don't hit the interval before that. You can always go over the interval, but nothing extreme. Also after 6 months I'd drain and change the oil regardless of how much miles you have racked up.

You should look into Amsoil, I think it would suit your maintenence needs pretty well.

GoatMonkey

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
I drove my parents 2008 Avalon on a 500 mile trip through the mountains and on the highway. I have to admit that it was a great highway cruiser. It did well in the mountains also through tight twisty corners and ultra steep hills. The Avalon has very good power, the transmission was willing to stay in the gear I selected. It's a big cushy car though, so it's not incredible through the curves, but the car was loaded with people and luggage.

I'm sure the Lexus is a good car also. I've had my eye on the Lexus GS350 actually. Oh, my parents ARE grandparents, so... yeah, that's their car.

alimoalem

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2005
It seems I forgot to update this thread.

We ended up getting a 2006 Lexus LS430 with 51.5k miles on it sometime in March. It's been an excellent car so far.

Thanks for your help guys.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Glad you like it!

And the idea about only topping up oil and otherwise changing it every 30k-40k doesn't sit well with me, either.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
It seems I forgot to update this thread.

We ended up getting a 2006 Lexus LS430 with 51.5k miles on it sometime in March. It's been an excellent car so far.

Thanks for your help guys.

Just curious on what you ended up paying, if you don't mind saying. I told my wife I'd like to own a LS430 for our traveling car. I still like the "3 box" look on a large sedan, and the LS 430 wears that look beautifully, IMHO.

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
My mom has an 08(?) Avalon. Big cushy, grandma car, but it'll one-wheel peel like a mofo. :D

teatime0315

Nov 18, 2005
Lexus, do it!
RWD vs FWD.
V8 vs V6
Lexus vs Toyota (if badge matters to you)
I have an Avalon and I've been in my friends LS430 and its miles better than my Avalon.
You get more car by going with the Lexus.

EDIT: lol didnt read the second page.

Last edited:

alimoalem

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2005
Just curious on what you ended up paying, if you don't mind saying. I told my wife I'd like to own a LS430 for our traveling car. I still like the "3 box" look on a large sedan, and the LS 430 wears that look beautifully, IMHO.

I'm not sure, to be honest. I believe very low in the $20k's.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
Lexus LS.

Is this is a serious thread?

The LS is the pinnacle of Toyota. Until the recent LF-A.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005

I too miss the 3 box look!! One reason why I never wanted to sell my I30 and why I like the styling of my Accord

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
The LS is the pinnacle of Toyota. Until the recent LF-A.

What? The LF-A is amazing in its own right. Overpriced...sure. Not the fastest...sure. Ridiculously cool tech...absolutely. Sounds like a super car to me.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
What? The LF-A is amazing in its own right. Overpriced...sure. Not the fastest...sure. Ridiculously cool tech...absolutely. Sounds like a super car to me.

The LS is the pinnacle of Toyota. Until the recent LF-A (became the pinnacle of Toyota).

Implications are not strong with thee today? ^_^

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
The LS is the pinnacle of Toyota. Until the recent LF-A (became the pinnacle of Toyota).

Implications are not strong with thee today? ^_^

My bad...I misread your statement. I agree with your statement! :awe: