2003 CES What do you want Covered?

narzy

Elite Member
Feb 26, 2000
I?m attending the 2003 CES convention in Las Vegas next week and wanted to know what you would like reports on. The exhibitor list is available at the CES web site www.cesweb.org.

A brief list of areas I plan on covering are

? Home theater
? High end audio
? Cell phones and cell phone accessories
? Microprocessors
? Computer audio
? Computer peripherals
? Personal audio Devices
? Personal video devices such as portable DVD players
? Computer media
? Home networking

If you have any specific companies, people, or things you want to hear from or about please let me know so that I can plan my way around the convention. Also a question you want asked would be helpful.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
hmm..nope, you seem to have everything I find interesting covered. I can't wait to hear what's new! :)

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Small-form-factor and quiet PCs for home theater (not really interested in MS DRM-XP for home theater though)

Tablet PCs, though my main interest is in sound quality, I'd love one for a roaming eBook + MP3 player + nef-pad if the cost were $600-750 like low end laptops are these days.

narzy

Elite Member
Feb 26, 2000
I will definitely keep my eyes out for inexpensive tablet PC's :)

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
As long as you are going to be checking out Tablet PCs, I want to know this:

If I use an application that doesn't natively support digital ink, can I still draw on the screen? And if so, how is the ink saved and retrieved, since the app doesn't know anything about ink?

Example: let's say I have a CAD application that displays maps. The app doesn't natively support ink. If I open a map, zoom in, and then draw on the screen, can I save the ink and retrieve it later? And if I can do that, how do I get it lined up again with the map file (since I might have zoomed in, scrolled, etc.) the way it was when I drew on the screen?

Thanks for any information you can find out, narzy!

narzy

Elite Member
Feb 26, 2000
I will do my best krankey :) however I think i might MIGHT have an answer for you, tho I do ask why you would be doing CAD on a tablet, their not very powerful :Q... micosoft supports ink input you would use the handwriting tool to transfer it into text then in your cad program have that text inputted into a text field that you specify, remember that the pen is also the mouse :). but I will certainly ask :)

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Here's why I want to use a Tablet PC with CAD. I have a bunch of CAD drawings of electrical circuits. When we install the system that the circuits are for, testing reveals that some circuit changes need to be made in order to have things function correctly. It's like a debugging step.

I want the guy doing the installation to use ink to record the changes using the Tablet PC, by using ink on top of the CAD drawing. It doesn't have to be neat - as long as we can retrieve the ink in conjunction with the specific CAD drawing it was done with, and display it at the correct place on the drawing (which is why I have to consider zooming/scrolling). If we can retrieve it properly, a CAD tech can make the "official" changes to the CAD drawing at a later date.

If I can make this work, I might get a raise. :)

It would be the same thing as using digital ink to mark over a photograph. If the photo was zoomed in and scrolled to a certain position, you would want the ink to be retrievable correctly with respect to the photograph.