$2000 low mileage convertible w/ Salvage Title - Avoid or Roll the Dice?

Oct 30, 2004
I find this vehicle intriguing:

2000 Saab 9-3 SE convertible with just under 60,000 miles for $2000, but with a Salvage title. The Carfax report says the vehicle was totaled in 2011. However, since being rebuilt it's done about 35,000 miles and passed multiple state safety and emissions inspections.

If I check this car out and it seems to run and drive OK, should I consider purchasing it? I've wanted an older, cheap convertible for some time. At an asking price of $2000 resale issues related to its being a salvage title are obviously irrelevant. The issue is whether the vehicle would have lots of problems and be a huge pain in the ass to use and run for a couple thousand miles/year.

Any thoughts about convertibles in general? I've heard that they can be a huge pain in the ass and leak. Do Saab's have reasonable build quality, or are they POS and would it be real expensive to get one repaired / get parts?

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
I don't know about the car market where you are at, but I'm seeing an '05 9-3 Vert for $2500 (but with a buttload of miles), an '03 for $3500, and quite a few at $4k all with clean titles here in AZ. So $2k with a salvage title doesn't sound like a killer deal unless it's in really good condition. The drivers seat looks pretty rough, so I'd suspect most the rest is too. How's the top look condition wise? Is the rear window glass or plastic?

A quick look at RockAuto shows pretty reasonable part prices for upcoming maintenance items (such as a water pump).

In regards to convertibles in general, I have not had any issues (leaks or otherwise) with my 135i convertible. But admittedly it hasn't spent a great deal of time in the rain.

Oct 30, 2004
I live in North Dakota but have family in Texas and right now I happen to be down in Texas. I suppose that the mileage is kind of meaningless in light of its having been totaled. However, the vehicle safety / emissions tests seem encouraging.

I think I'm just engaging in some mental masturbation here. My wife's not real keen on us having to drive two separate vehicles back up to North Dakota, and purchasing a car and then driving it 1200+ miles cross country probably isn't the brightest idea, but it sure is kind of intriguing.

Home market is area code 58103. If you do a vehicle search you'll see that the convertible pickings in that area are pretty slim, but going to Minneapolis - St. Paul is a possibility. There are of course tons of Sebring convertibles and PT Cruiser convertibles in the region, but yuck, who wants Chrysler build quality?

Last edited:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Was it issued a salvage title because of accident damage or flood damage? I wouldn't touch a car with flood damage.

Edit-Personally, I wouldn't touch one with a salvage title either but out of the two I'd say flood damage is probably the much bigger gamble.

Last edited:

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
Is this a joke? A salvage titled 16 year old dead brand convertible. What could go wrong? If it was my money....no way.

I can only assume this is for a fun weekend/project kind of car. Just wait and watch for something that has parts support and robust e-community support. Your down in Texas where there is older rust free cars all over the place. I can think of lots of cars I would rather have miata, mustang, bmw, merc, etc.

Saab....lol.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
It was totaled in April 2011 .. but for that price, you can get 4 years or so out of it. Maybe more. I would offer the seller a bit less, say $1,500 and see if they take it.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
I don't know that I'd want 17 year old formerly totaled Saab build quality over Chrysler quality.

But if you just want a convertible to toy around, its not like two grand is the end of the world.

Oct 30, 2004
Yeah, it would be a for fun / weekend / Summer third vehicle for a family with just two drivers (don't have any kids and I don't think those pesky cats are going to learn to drive anytime soon).

Thanks for talking me down to reason, guys. I think if the vehicle were located near home I would have to consider it, but since I'd have to drive it up to North Dakota from Texas (about 1250 miles) forget it. $1800 or less (I'm guessing after talking the dealer down from $2000) isn't a horrible amount to gamble on an upscale convertible, but even though it has some GM genes, who knows how expensive the parts would be and how much it would cost to fix when needed. But man, the price sure does seem right and it's hard to find something decent for that amount.

Between that car and these two, which would you gamble your money on?

2002 Toyota Camry Solara - 129k miles, was a Florida car years ago before being brought up to Wisconsin. Has a clean Autocheck report. Assume the dealer can be talked down to $3800.

2004 Chrysler Sebring - 207k miles but listed for $1850 (not gambling too much), but man, that's a lot of miles with crappy Chrysler build quality, but also $2150 less of an asking price than the Solara.

Last edited:

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I would take the Toyota .. it has less mileage overall and has the V6 engine ... Would not consider the Chrysler with 207K miles .. way too high miles for that price.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
2K for a running car that passes inspection is a fair deal.
That SAAB has the added complication of being a frankenstein mishmash of sketchiness and worn out parts and not one bit of that car says "60,000 miles"

That Camry floated around the auction house back in February. It's based on the older 90's Camry and not the 2002+ Camry. Not something I would spend over 3K for. Historically solid cars but the reality is that its a 2 door version of a 90's Camry that may have left the factory (date of manufacturer <> model year) back when the Twin Towers still stood. Expect "quirks". May be worth a strong haggle.

The Sebring is worth 500 bucks. In monopoly money. You are required to smoke crack when you touch the vehicle title.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
I like the idea of the Solara a lot more than the Sebring even if its an older model.

My Aunt had a Sebring of about that year... man what an embarrassing piece of **** that was. See how that dealer has more pics of their waiting room than the car? Good hint of what it takes to sell a Sebring. I'd rather take a hack saw and chop off the top of a normal car if my only other convertible option was a Sebring.