2000 - a bad year to be elected? You decide....

Dee67

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2000
What happens when a president gets elected in years ending with zero (which of course happens only every 20 years)?

1840: William Henry Harrison (Died in Office)
1860: Abraham Lincoln (Assassinated)
1880: James A. Garfield (Assassinated)
1900: William McKinley (Assassinated)
1920: Warren G. Harding (Died in Office)
1940: Franklin D. Roosevelt (Died in Office)
1960: John F. Kennedy (Assassinated)
1980: Ronald Reagan (Barely Survived Assassination
Attempt and left suffering from Alzheimer's)

2000: ??????????

Care to answer a config.sys question for me??? Thx

Valhalla1

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
i've been talking about this in the election threads already. would suck if some liberal tree hugging hippie shot bush, then cheney died in office of a heart attack. :Q

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Whoa. That's almost as freaky as the whole Lincoln/Kennedy and Kennedy/Lincoln relationship there.

Wolfie

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I thought James A. Garfield was the one that died a week into office after walking home in a rain storm and got deathly sick???

[edit]Opps, It was William Henry Harrison that died from getting sick. My bad.[/edit]

Wolfie

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

<< fails to mention 1820, 1800, 1780. Interesting coincedences, nonetheless. >>

The first president was elected in 1788 :p

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000

<< The first president was elected in 1788 >>

I forgot my american history from last year, and was thinking 1776 for some brainless reason. Still leaves 1800 and 1820.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
1800 was Jefferson. 1820 was Monroe.

William Henry Harrison died after contracting pneumonia from his extraordinarily long-winded inauguration speech given in freezing temperatures with a driving rain.

I'd say the assassination attempt and the Alzheimer's for Reagan had nothing to do with each other. :)

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000

<< William Henry Harrison died after contracting pneumonia from his extraordinarily long-winded inauguration speech given in freezing temperatures with a driving rain. >>

That shouldn't be a problem for Bush, he's not one of those extremely talkative types.

shifrbv

Feb 21, 2000
The curse wasn't supposed to begin until 1840 according to Tenskwatawa, (also known as &quot;The Prophet&quot;), a Shawnee medicine man who was half-brother to Tecumseh. The hex was supposedly his revenge for the death of his half-brother.

&quot;Harrison will die I tell you,&quot; the Prophet reportedly said. &quot;And after him, every Great Chief chosen every 20 years thereafter will die. And when each one dies, let everyone remember the death of my people.&quot;

Another spin might be:

&quot;The key to all this presidential demising possibly lies more within the realm of the stars than the rumored words of a dead Indian chief. Or at least so the astrologers would have us believe. According to Mark Dodich, an astrologer who has attempted to analyze the Curse of Tecumseh, the reason behind this force is one of &quot;cosmic coincidence,&quot; not native American hexing. Dodich claims the curse's effects overlap with the alignment of Jupiter and Saturn, whose orbits have lined up every twenty years.

The 20-year pattern's one failure -- Reagan -- is explained by the sign the alignment of these two planets occurred under. Alignments under the earth signs (Taurus, Capricorn, and Virgo) have led to dead Presidents, but Reagan's term occurred under an air sign, accounting for his survival.

According to Dodich, year 2000's Jupiter-Saturn twinning once again occurs under the earth sign of Taurus, a phenomenon he says won't happen again for another 600 years. It thus marks the end of a deadly cycle. And if Dodich is right about this curse thing, it will sound the death knell for another President.&quot;