20% off Dell UltraSharp 2001FP 20.1-inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor $799.20 w/ free shipping

rasputinj

Diamond Member
May 15, 2001
Dell Small Business has a good deal with 15% off the
Dell UltraSharp 2001FP 20.1-inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand

Regular price: $999.00
Sale Price: $799.20 with free shipping
[You Save $199.80]

Features:

maximum resolution up to 1600x1200
Digital Video Format: DVI-D TMDS
Analog Video Format: Analog RGB
Dot Pitch: 0.255 mm pixel pitch
Image Brightness: 250 cd/m2 (typical)
Image Contrast Ratio: 400:1

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
You know Dell will do 25% off soon. They have done it so many times that they should just lower MSRP to $750.

IHYLN

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
whats the refresh rate on it? and will 1280x1024 look crappy? (cant run all my games in 1600x1200) :(

Nicodemus

Jan 2, 2004
Originally posted by: IHYLN
whats the refresh rate on it? and will 1280x1024 look crappy? (cant run all my games in 1600x1200) :(

The refresh rate is 16ms.. I run my games at 1280x1024 and everything looks absolutely gorgeous.

kindest

Platinum Member
Dec 15, 2001
so tempting..

really want a new lcd screen for pc/dvd usage. Think im going to wait out for the new Benq 23 inch Widescreen
LCD screen.. has 16ms response and hd capable.

But i hear this screen is gorgeous as well.. just dont know how movies will look since its not WS.

Achtung

Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Naustica
You know Dell will do 25% off soon. They have done it so many times that they should just lower MSRP to $750.

When that happens, will it likely apply to the 1703FP as well? I'm just talking historically of course, there's no way to know for sure.

IHYLN

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
well I broke down and got one :p

had to put up my hitachi cml174b up for sale though

yipperzz

Feb 23, 2000
i'm thinking of getting this monitor too but it went on sale for 750 twice in the past few months. i'm just going to wait and this will eventually be cheaper than 750.

and dell home has sales tax on ca now too so theres not much of a difference.

QuicknDirty

Dec 26, 2002
I'm curious about the GEM GL-1920b vs this monitor, which I can pick up at my local FRYS for $479 AR...my 21" trinitron just died, so I'm trying to decide which way I wanna go...

Specs on the 1920 b from outpost: Linky

solariumrider

Aug 1, 2001
Okay, I got in the original 750 deal, but after typing in the wrong address and dealing with dell for 2-1/2 weeks, they finally cancelled my order and told me to rebuy it (easy for them to say when it's not on sale anymore. Ire-ordered a new one at 899 from dell home (after they gave me 75 bucks back for my troubles), it ended up only being $15 more than i paid originally. In the mean time, i had purchased a Sony sdm-HS73 since i had no monitor. When my monitor arrived, and i swapped them, I immediately noticed 2 things (perhaps they are related).

1) it wasn't as bright (which was to be expected considering most monitors larger than 17" have 250cd/m2 and the 17" had 400cd/m2) Okay so this wasn't a big issue.

2) It looked kinda grainy (as described by some). My description of it, would be how the screen kinda looks when it's covered in dust. It's most noticeable on whites. I first attributed this to using my analog cable, and perhaps the dell analog input wasn't as good as the sony. I have a MSI Geforce 2 pro, and was getting ready to upgrade and the next good video card deal. Then I was reading the bens bargains discussion on this monitor and found some threads of other people having the same problem as me. The graininess seems to occur due to the large amount of black space around the pixels. It appears to be a hardware property of the display.

Here are the threads on the dell forums:
Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

I read through most of the posts on these forums, and haven't seen any reference to this. Does anyone else notice this? It's a great monitor, but i can't live with paying this much money for something that isn't damn near perfect, since i'm gonna be using this monitor for years and years to come.

The things i like about this monitor that i can't find on other monitor's in it's price range is the s-video, composite video inputs, fast response time and the 1600x1200 resolution. I'm trying to decide whether those features overweigh this graininess effect.

edit: tried fixing links

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Wait for the 25% off...yon know Dell will do it. I bought this baby during the 25% off deal I love it.

It is great looking picture...not as good as my old 19" viewsonic 790PF but what can you expect? They picture is bigger and very bright.

I run it at 1280x1024 on the desktop and looks fine to me. I have no complaints about this monitor whatsoever...even performs great for gaming.

Localan

Jun 16, 2003
Why wait? I actually just called Dell to double-check that they are compatible with my wife's Macintosh in order to consolidate her PC and Mac G3 into a single monitor. After confirming that any of the Dells would work fine (1801/1901/2001 FP) he offered me the 1801fp at $450 w/ free delivery, the 1901fp at $550 w/ free delivery, and the 2001fp at $750 w/ free delivery. Kinda floored me as I didn't know that they had the ability to do this over the phone. Just an FYI for others who might be interested, but waiting for the $750 deal to come back around.

I ended up ordering a 1901fp for her even though it wasn't the best deal I have ever seen (here's hoping a killer deal comes up in the next 30 days or so). She will like the "cool factor" of the portrait mode. And then of course I just had to break down and order a 2001fp for me too. :D

sparkyclarky

Platinum Member
May 3, 2002
Originally posted by: solariumrider
Okay, I got in the original 750 deal, but after typing in the wrong address and dealing with dell for 2-1/2 weeks, they finally cancelled my order and told me to rebuy it (easy for them to say when it's not on sale anymore. Ire-ordered a new one at 899 from dell home (after they gave me 75 bucks back for my troubles), it ended up only being $15 more than i paid originally. In the mean time, i had purchased a Sony sdm-HS73 since i had no monitor. When my monitor arrived, and i swapped them, I immediately noticed 2 things (perhaps they are related).

1) it wasn't as bright (which was to be expected considering most monitors larger than 17" have 250cd/m2 and the 17" had 400cd/m2) Okay so this wasn't a big issue.

2) It looked kinda grainy (as described by some). My description of it, would be how the screen kinda looks when it's covered in dust. It's most noticeable on whites. I first attributed this to using my analog cable, and perhaps the dell analog input wasn't as good as the sony. I have a MSI Geforce 2 pro, and was getting ready to upgrade and the next good video card deal. Then I was reading the bens bargains discussion on this monitor and found some threads of other people having the same problem as me. The graininess seems to occur due to the large amount of black space around the pixels. It appears to be a hardware property of the display.

Here are the threads on the dell forums:
Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

I read through most of the posts on these forums, and haven't seen any reference to this. Does anyone else notice this? It's a great monitor, but i can't live with paying this much money for something that isn't damn near perfect, since i'm gonna be using this monitor for years and years to come.

The things i like about this monitor that i can't find on other monitor's in it's price range is the s-video, composite video inputs, fast response time and the 1600x1200 resolution. I'm trying to decide whether those features overweigh this graininess effect.

edit: tried fixing links

It definitely has a 'graininess' to it, but it's easy to get used to. I went from a 21" Nokia flat screen CRT to this, and I'm quite pleased. The display is easy on the eyes, and the input options are nice for connecting game consoles to.

Granamere

Jan 27, 2004
I bought two of the 2001fps the last time the $750 deal was going on. I have them attached to a leadtek Geforce FX5950 Ultra. One is connected to the DVI the other to the analog. The video card only has one DVI port on it. You can see a big differece on the displays on both of the LCD's. The DVI is crisp and when windows boots up the DVI always shows the image first. Also when the Windows XP logo is on the boot up screen you can see a smooth "W" on the DVI connection and a jagged "W" on the analog connection. Also when watching movies the analog give more of a ghosting effect. Now that I have picked on it I have to say even with those small issuses I love both of them. The 3200 X 1200 res is great. Tons of room to work. For playing video games I just run one of the monitors that is connected to the DVI port. Very nice picture. I did concider the XFX FX 5700 Ultra for the dual DVI output but i really wanted a card that had the FX 5950 Ultra chipset. So far there is not one that has dual DVI. Also if it is grainy and you are only running one monitor make sure you install the Dell monitor driver. It will help. Although DVI would be the best help here from what I have seen. When you run 3200 X 1200 in Horizontal Span it treats the two monitors as one and you have to run the default driver. At least I have not found a way to do otherwise and yes I want the start bar to go all the way across.

Granamere

Dec 3, 2003
The grainy effect is really only evident (to me, at least) when I sit closer than about 18" to the screen, and even then like described, it is a sort of a sparkled screendoor type of effect that is evident only on static pure whites.

Honestly, the fact that it is there, bothers me. But the only time I get that close to the screen is when I'm squinting at something in the first place, so it's not really something I would ever notice if I didn't have a habit of being on the comp way too long.

I suppose if I was a puter programmer working on lines of black code on white backgrounds all day, and my habits put me 12" away from the screen, then I'd raise caution that this may bug you. But in such a case you might be better off with the 1901FP and it's native 1280x1024, anyways. They are very similar in physical screen size.

But given the input flexibility, resolution, and 16ms (finally!), I'll happily keep mine right where it is, thank you.

gothaggis

Sep 25, 2001
i ordered this...one question though...does it come with a DVI cable, or will I have to go out and buy one?

solariumrider

Aug 1, 2001
Gothaggis, It comes with a DVI, and analog cables.

The effect i notice is mainly when browsing web pages (with white backgrounds). It happens both in linux and windows though i've used linux most since i've picked it up. I honestly don't think the driver actually does much other than specify which frequencies the monitor will accept.

I think i need to get a decent video card with DVI, to really evaluate it completely. I think it's also really hard to notice the difference unless you have two LCD monitor's that you can swap back and forth between (like i had before i returned that sony). I also don't sit close to the monitor (it's sitting on the back of my 30" deep desk, so i'm probably about 18-24 inches away.

I was just wondering what other's think about this monitor, that have compared it to other high quality LCD's. After a day or two of research, there is nothing out there that comes close to this monitor for the price. I hope a deal comes up on a 5900 or 9800 Pro soon, though i prefer the 5900 for the nvidia linux drivers are much nicer, if not i might just buy one temporarily to test it out.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Dumb question - this deal is through small business. I don't have a small business. How are you legitimately able to buy it?

rasputinj

Diamond Member
May 15, 2001
Originally posted by: X-Man
Dumb question - this deal is through small business. I don't have a small business. How are you legitimately able to buy it?

Just use your name as the company no biggie, there is no business verification or tax id needed.

yipperzz

Feb 23, 2000
Originally posted by: solariumrider
Then I was reading the bens bargains discussion on this monitor and found some threads of other people having the same problem as me. The graininess seems to occur due to the large amount of black space around the pixels. It appears to be a hardware property of the display.

first of all, don't listen to the comments on ben's bargains. everyone thats posts there are a bunch of retards that try to be funny but are not helpful or funny at all.

second, try the dvi connection first because analog connection on the dell is not as good as the dvi connection. i've seen/heard many good things about it when connected to dvi and the same people have said do not connect it by db15 because of the poor quality.

edit:
third, try the 5900...there was a deal for around 180 for a 5900 standard. it's a good card with dvi out and it's not too expensive. i have one and it's not that bad. you can't really go wrong with a ati, but if you want the nvidia card you can try that one out.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Augh!

So I ordered one . . . estimated shipping date . . . March 8 . . . WTF?! It said it usually ships on the same day?!

I want it now, dammit! :D