20 dead in crash of limo bound for birthday celebration in N.Y.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Just saying if we'd just enable further government restrictions and take more freedom away we can live forever. Don't you care about the children?

Different opinions that challenge your spoon fed way of thinking is scary to you... call on management to protect your bubble.

Following the rules your not so good at but look who your hero is so we understand.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Car goes from 60mph to 0mph in milliseconds.
People keep moving at 60mph until they hit part of the now stopped car.
People's skeletons go from 60mph to 0mph in milliseconds.
People's organs keep moving at 60mph until the connective tissue rips or stretches to slow them down.
Massive organ damage and death.

There was an excellent animation of the Princess Di crash that modeled her internals during the crash but it doesn't appear to be on youtube. In her case, had she been wearing a seatbelt, she wouldn't have died in the crash.

Dang it was pretty horrific sounding already and now you’ve made it even more gruesome.

Still kind of hard to imagine all 20 died in a big ass limo. Wouldn’t they pad each other’s impact?

Man I’m traveling that way this week. Poor people, RIP :(

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Even if it does I am sure the amount carried is far below what the ultimate judgements will be. This business is hosed and from the sounds of it deservedly so. Using an improperly licensed driver in a vehicle that failed inspection should be grounds for criminal charges.

Yup, automobile insurance typically has low limits. Even for a limo service, it's unlikely they have more than a few million with an umbrella policy. There is going to be at least $1 million per victim in liability here. They'll go BK over night, leaving the victims to scrounge over whatever insurance they had.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I agree 110%. This should be a criminal matter imo.

The improperly licensed driver is only part of the problem. The vehicle had failed a DoT inspection one month earlier and wasn't supposed to be on the road. Both car and driver were illegal. This looks like a manslaughter rap to me.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Just caught the end of a story in the the local news about this.

I saw a body of water like a creek involved and apparently the limo was a normal SUV that was stretched into a limo.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Car goes from 60mph to 0mph in milliseconds.
People keep moving at 60mph until they hit part of the now stopped car.
People's skeletons go from 60mph to 0mph in milliseconds.
People's organs keep moving at 60mph until the connective tissue rips or stretches to slow them down.
Massive organ damage and death.

There was an excellent animation of the Princess Di crash that modeled her internals during the crash but it doesn't appear to be on youtube. In her case, had she been wearing a seatbelt, she wouldn't have died in the crash.

You got the physics right, except there is one additional variable - the mass of whatever you hit. Your equation assumes you hit an immovable object. A lower mass object will move further when hit, and this will reduce the impact to your vehicle. In this case, unfortunately they hit a heavy vehicle so they got pretty close to what you're saying here. Not much less. :(

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Ban high capacity limos.

I know you're just trolling but you are 100% correct. These frankenstein creations should be banned along with the dumbfucks who lift their trucks by two feet. Limos should be purpose built and used as they were sold if they are going to be used in commercial transport. Not necessarily saying that was the issue here but it certainly wasn't helping matters any.

Viper GTS

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
If neither the driver nor limo were supposed to be on the road then the insurance, if any, will not cover the accident. Twenty dead and I'm sure the limo company doesn't have very deep pockets. Lots of tragedy and no money to sooth even a single loss.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Geez how fast were they going? For all of them to die just for hitting a parked car seems crazy.

Sad

No seatbelt = ragdolls

But in the case of this type of limos, I am not sure it would have helped since they are not facing front. Even if they were buckled in, they would essentially experence the force as if T-boned. Low survivability.

These chopshop limos are just too dangerous.

Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I take that route every time I visit my inlaws for a very long time. Everything is clearly marked and so the road itself wasn't a factor. Someone messed up big time.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I take that route every time I visit my inlaws for a very long time. Everything is clearly marked and so the road itself wasn't a factor. Someone messed up big time.
My money is on brakes not being able to handle 18 people at 60mph

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
My money is on brakes not being able to handle 18 people at 60mph

Sounds most likely, or perhaps it was a matter of operator error not understanding that more mass means a greater stopping distance. Or, an idiot kills many.